Time to let the offense run this team... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Time to let the offense run this team...

Just checked and Miami’s rush offense (3.3 YPC) is ranked 31st in the league after three games.

Bengals rush defense is ranked 6th with offenses averaging 3.7 YPC.

It would be a pleasant surprise if we uncork the running game on Thursday.

016CB14F-460A-4FA0-8476-C1B0E3EB6622.jpeg
You need to look up middle of the pack. Right now the running game is taking a step back and watching from sidelines whilst Tua, WRs and Defense is winning games.

This was a great win... No other way around it but I think it shouldnt have been this close to begin with. I've read alot of comments in game and after the game about how the Fins D shouldnt have blitzed as much as they did and... I completely disagree. In Fact, they didnt blitz enough IMO.

The Fins offense right now after 3 games is pretty much top 5 everywhere it matters except for points scored.

• YPA: 2nd
  • TD%: 2nd
  • QB rating: 2nd
  • Passing TDs 4th
  • Rushing TDs: 14th
  • Overall point scoring: 6th
  • Number of offense plays: 26th

So the Fins offense is obviously rolling right now, but they're stuck, they aint on the field enough. Now as a Fins fan, we're used to 3 and outs being the problem here but it isnt this time around. The Fins are:

• #1 in average time per drive
  • #6 in average plays per drive
  • #1 in average points per drive

So what does the defense and their blitzing have to do with this? Well here's the defense per drive breakdown.

• 18th in average time per drive
  • 16th in average time per drive
  • 20th in average point per drive

Long story short... the Fins defense isnt all that good at preventing the other team from scoring on any given drive right now, they're just good at making them last a long time. Sure you're limiting the total number of points they can score in any given game, but you're also limiting the number of opportunities your own offense gets to score on their end. This just contracts the point differential and makes it more likely that you'll rely on a top 5 QB missing a gimme at the goal line for a win.

About the blitzing part.

Its easy to be results oriented after the fact. But blitzing worked, it got 2 sack fumbles(one recovered by the Fins) and multiple shots at Interceptions(that were missed). Im just going to pull a number out of my ass and say the Fins capitalized on 1 out of 5 opportunity for TOs. Blitzing more will accomplish 2 things, it'll lower the amount of time the defense is on the field and increase the TO opportunities. Sure this will also increase variance and will put more points on the board for the opponent as well. But it will also put your best unit on the field much more often.

In much simpler words... Its time for the D to **** or get off the pot.
Yeah but they played Lamar (who looked like Gayle Sayers and Joe Montana combined) and Josh Allen who looked like Josh Allen on his way to the HOF…. I mean our D has done enough - holding Balmore to 10 points in second half and Barfolo to 3 in second half - actually offense needed to do more in Buffalo game…great analysis but score and situation dictates SO much - our D played really hard and really well and really clean against a super well against Buffalo - Jones (safety) Holland and Phillips ALL dropped interceptions late in that game…we are going to unpack a bunch more wrinkles on O as we go… beating the bungles on no rest is gonna be a big test right now!

This was a great win... No other way around it but I think it shouldnt have been this close to begin with. I've read alot of comments in game and after the game about how the Fins D shouldnt have blitzed as much as they did and... I completely disagree. In Fact, they didnt blitz enough IMO.

The Fins offense right now after 3 games is pretty much top 5 everywhere it matters except for points scored.

• Passing TDs 4th

So the Fins offense is obviously rolling right now, but they're stuck, they aint on the field enough. Now as a Fins fan, we're used to 3 and outs being the problem here but it isnt this time around. The Fins are:

So what does the defense and their blitzing have to do with this? Well here's the defense per drive breakdown.

Long story short... the Fins defense isnt all that good at preventing the other team from scoring on any given drive right now, they're just good at makingthem last a long time. Sure you're limiting the total number of points they can score in any given game, but you're also limiting the number of opportunities your own offense gets to score on s their end. This just contracts the point differential and makes it more likely that you'll rely on a top 5 QB missing a gimme at the goal line for a win.

About the blitzing part.

Its easy to be results oriented after the fact. But blitzing worked, it got 2 sack fumbles(one recovered by the Fins) and multiple shots at Interceptions(that were missed). Im just going to pull a number out of my ass and say the Fins capitalized on 1 out of 5 opportunity for TOs. Blitzing more will accomplish 2 things, it'll lower the amount of time the defense is on the field and increase the TO opportunities. Sure this will also increase variance and will put more points on the board for the opponent as well. But it will also put your best unit on the field much more often.

Great point, and I agree with everything you said. Only thing is, is personnel. I think they may be in a much better position to do this when Byron Jones
returns. I think that creates so much more flexibility in their schemes.

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say here?

Blitz alot more and what happens happens? As long as we get the offense back on the field?
He saying that with a more aggressive D one of two things happen 1) you get more turnovers and therefore your offense is on the field more or 2) the D gets beat and your offense is on the field more.

Either way your offense gets more opportunities to outscore your opponent.

I think I tend to agree though NBP raises some really good points. I truly think on a normal day we come up w 4 turnovers and have more drives etc. Also, while the D couldn’t get off of the field they did limit big plays. I don’t think the Bills hit deep really - his YPA wasn’t good enough and that’s a credit to the D
Obviously I would have loved to see the Dolphins offense on the field more but it appeared the Bills went into the game with a plan to control the ball on offense and limit the big play opportunities for the Dolphins offense.

The Bills did a great job controlling the game with their offense but the goal of the game is to finish with the most points. They didn’t accomplish that main goal and in the end, that‘s all that mattered.

Hopefully the defense will be able to get some 3 and outs going forward but It hard to be upset with them holding the Bills to just 17 points after the Bills were able to run 90 plays.

• Passing TDs 4th

Long story short... the Fins defense isnt all that good at preventing the other team from scoring on any given drive right now, they're just good at making them last a long time. Sure you're limiting the total number of points they can score in any given game, but you're also limiting the number of opportunities your own offense gets to score on their end. This just contracts the point differential and makes it more likely that you'll rely on a top 5 QB missing a gimme at the goal line for a win.

About the blitzing part.

This is just my opinion but the problem was not that they blitz too much but at least for 3 quarters every time they blitz we were giving up too much cushion so Allen was having a wide open guy to throw to who in turn would go get the first down very easily ......yes I agree, blitz. But don’t give up so much cushion cause it defeats the purpose

• Passing TDs 4th

About the blitzing part.

I completely agree about the blitzing. People here were preaching to stop but I was loving it. Got Josh all rattled and I believe it led to him getting nervous and throwing into the ground on that go ahead TD for the lead to Mckenzie. It Worked and we should play the exact same way next time.

The Bills did a great job controlling the game with their offense but the goal of the game is to finish with the most points. They didn’t accomplish that main goal and in the end, that‘s all that mattered.
My point is the Fins offense was better than the Bills in this game and if they'd have been in the game longer, it wouldnt have come down to a top 3 QB missing a wide open WR in the end zone for the game winner...

My point is the Fins offense was better than the Bills in this game and if they'd have been in the game longer, it wouldnt have come down to a top 3 QB missing a wide open WR in the end zone for the game winner...
Both teams averaged 5.5 yards per play….and the Bills were better on third down.

I think the D is a problem right now. Tua, Waddle and Hill saved them in that Ravens game. Yes, they made plays at the end. But the game was a blowout.

Against the Bills - The coverage on the two touchdowns was absolutely abysmal. First one, Brandon Jones blitzes the left side of the Bills line, leaving two receiving threats with one cover man. The second one, no one picked up the under cross. In the fourth, they should have given up a touchdown to an open player, but Allen just missed.

Yesterday they played a total bend-but-don't-break style. No deep passes. Either Buffalo took what was there, or their plan was to eat clock. Either way, the effect was the same. They had SERIOUSLY long drives that ate a lot of time. If they fix the coverage in the red zone, I can live with it. If they can't, we will lose games with huge TOP disperities and it will not be because of the offense.

Would blitzing be better? I can see your case, but I think it is too black and white. Let's say they give up two big plays that lead to 14 more points. All it does is FORCE the offense to score more. I'm not sure that helps much. Would you want to do that yesterday if Buffalo had their starting secondary? it seems more than a little risky.

We blitzed a few times when we shouldn't have. It lead to easy tds and wide open rbs.

• Passing TDs 4th

About the blitzing part.

Part of the reason we couldn’t get off the field was because our corners were playing back. X was about 10 yards off the line just about every snap. Maybe trying not to giving up the big plays or maybe it was his groin still bothering him. Everything around 5 yards was wide open. For half the game I couldn’t understand why an LB wasn’t covering their RB. Felt like he had 10 targets or more in the first half. Both of the Bills TD’s were on bad blitz calls. Can’t blitz when the play is designed for the QB to get the ball out quick. There have been some strange D calls the start of this season. Half a dozen in the Baltimore game as well

Back
Top Bottom