Time to let the offense run this team... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Time to let the offense run this team...

Yeah, I think I’m ok with letting the defense not allow points. Just because our offense can score points, doesn’t mean that every game should be a shoot out
I rather defense force 3 and outs and not keep letting 3rd down conversions. I get it with bills and that offense, but can't keep doing that.

Great point, and I agree with everything you said. Only thing is, is personnel. I think they may be in a much better position to do this when Byron Jones
returns. I think that creates so much more flexibility in their schemes.
I hope he can come back right when its lifted and then will he be in football shape after? Plus he'll definitely be rusty. He's a good corner, but how good will he play first few games back after being out of camp, preseason and such?

I noticed during the preseason games, Miami had a hard time covering RB's coming out of the backfield to catch passes. It's now carried over into the regular season and is frustrating to watch.

Opposing teams have also been able to identify the Safety or CB blitz and are sending a RB into that vacated area to catch passes.

Until Miami figures out a solution, I'd expect teams to exploit this continuously moving forward. It helps extend drives and run the clock, both Baltimore and Buffalo killed Miami in the flats.

Eventually it's going to come back and hurt Miami in the lose column.

We blitzed a few times when we shouldn't have. It lead to easy tds and wide open rbs.

the second TD i wasnt a fan of calling off coverage there. whats the purpose of having your CBs stand at the goalline when your underneath LBs are blitzing? easy short pass for a TD there. bring your CBs up to the line and jam. what's the worst that can happen? youre getting beat deep from the 8 yard line?

That ball was there to be had.

We stripped Josh another time that his OLineman fell on.

We were ballhawkin' and not coming up with the ball enough.

Sometimes it seems the ball just doesn't bounce 'our' way. Sometimes it seems INTs are dropped every time. For every team. Miami won in spite of bad karma

My point is the Fins offense was better than the Bills in this game and if they'd have been in the game longer, it wouldnt have come down to a top 3 QB missing a wide open WR in the end zone for the game winner...
I agree but the fact is the Bills offense was good enough to move the ball consistently and the Dolphins defense didn’t seem to have an answer how to stop the Bills offense until they moved the ball into the red zone.

I obviously would have loved to see the Dolphins offense on the field more but you have to give the Bills credit for making plays to extend drives that prevented the Dolphins offense from getting more opportunities in the game.

I completely agree with the OP argument. Our defense is way overrated. Its not terrible but its not a lock down defense. Its an opportunistic defense that is high variance. It a play with a lead type defense.

For what it's worth, Tua is #1 on the ESPN quarterback rankings. I know it's early, but that's still impressive with a new coaching staff, the early schedule etc.

Anyone who thinks it's all on the quarterback is crazy. Hill is a difference maker, like Moss was to Brady, Rice to Montana and all those other great quarterback/wide receiver duos.

We're seeing early how explosive Miami can be with Hill, Waddle, Mostert and Edmunds.

Two things.

Our Cover Zero, Zero Blitz, whatever it's called, doesn't really function without Byron Jones out there across from X.

Second, when you blitz you need to succeed. If you can't get the QB on the ground (I know Josh Allen is a tough ask), a competent offense will exploit it.

This game was a perfect example. Blitzing. Without Byron Jones. Not bringing Josh Allen down when you blitzed.

Agree. Not having Byron Jones out there limits what the D does.

No running game right now. Not seeing it. Great 1st and goal but the team ain't putting up zero drives with running game. That's got to change. You can't be one dimensional.

I wouldn't say "no running game," but, in any case, I'm still not happy with the play-calling. I'm not going to say 'zero,' but, to make a point, no screens, no RPOs, no designed QB runs, up-tempo, hot reads, none of the things a lot of teams do with frequency. Again, exaggerating for affect.

And little things. Ahead in 4Q, don't snap the ball til only 5 seconds on the play clock. The Ds not set? Don't be polite. Quick snap. Yes, TT should know this, but if he doesn't, the OC or HC should remind him. Little things that win games.

TBF, the O is still learning, but the goal is to make the D think before they react.

About the blitzing part.

Its easy to be results oriented after the fact. But blitzing worked, it got 2 sack fumbles(one recovered by the Fins) and multiple shots at Interceptions(that were missed). Im just going to pull a number out of my ass and say the Fins capitalized on 1 out of 5 opportunity for TOs. Blitzing more will accomplish 2 things, it'll lower the amount of time the defense is on the field and increase the TO opportunities. Sure this will also increase variance and will put more points on the board for the opponent as well. But it will also put your best unit on the field much more often.

In much simpler words... Its time for the D to **** or get off the pot.

I can’t recall the exact source of which talking head said it — but when MIA’s defense blitzed heavily they got burned most the time. Once they dialed it back a bit — Allen and the Bills success went down.

I don’t recall the statistics and percentages, but that makes sense just judging by the scoring throughout the game.

The Bills scored TD’s on 2 of their first 3 possessions then only managed a lone FG over the rest of the game (6 possessions).

you have to give the Bills credit for making plays to extend drives that prevented the Dolphins offense from getting more opportunities in the game.
Thing his, Mac Jones did the exact same thing to this defense. Right now, the Fins are middle of the pack at blitzing % and bottom 5 in the NFL at pressure %, as a result, they cant get off the field. Compare that to last year where the Fins were #2 in blitz % and #3 at pressure %, they didnt have trouble getting off the field then, they were top 10 in all 3 categories I mentioned in OP...

Back
Top Bottom