Training Camp Updates - Day Five | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Updates - Day Five

Fitz is a known commodity. (Actually, he is two known commodities-- "Good Fitz," and "Bad Fitz.") Rosen is an unknown commodity. So, it's a little early to declare Fitz "legitimately better," no?

I'm not. I said it would be disappointing if the switch takes too long for the reason that Fitz is legitimately better. I hope that is not the case.

Omg, if Tua decides to stay for his senior year. That leaves Hebert, Fromm and potentially Love. Unfortunately the need for a QB is too great to pass up, in what looks to be a less talented class, than 2021, if Tua doesn't come out in 2020.

I think you can keep taking shots on goal without necessarily forcing anything.

But next year there will be some significant talents available in Justin Herbert, Jordan Love, and Jake Fromm, as well as some X-Factor guy who always shows up (Desmond Ridder? Jacob Eason? Jarrett Guarantano?)

Right now that's my mindset, even if Tua is ruled out for whatever reason.

Not saying it for this year but I still say when Dylan McCaffrey takes the reigns at Michigan he will catch a lot of eyes. Insanely athletic, prototype arm and size

G Deion Calhoun, Mississippi State – Miami Dolphins
Playing 275-plus pass-blocking snaps for the Bulldogs in each of the past three seasons, Calhoun has earned 70.0-plus pass-blocking grades since his 2016 campaign. In 2018, he allowed pressure on just 3.9% of his 337 pass-blocking snaps. His run-blocking grades didn’t wow us during his time at Mississippi State, but consistency in pass protection is valuable for a Dolphins team that needs such efforts in the trenches.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-ranking-the-top-10-undrafted-free-agent-signings

We highlighted Calhoun as one of the top-10 undrafted free agent signings back in April (number 4)

from Alf @3yardspercarry
I took a dive into his college stuff, jmo I don’t think he’s good enough..slow off the snap, a bit clumsy, doesn’t use his reach and hands well, allows defenders into his chest very consistently..hope he takes to coaching and improves a lot..

Last edited:
He does in terms of doing it against guys who can play in the NFL. Terrill Hanks and Poling aren't those guys.

However, pulling is the one thing he was already experienced at and everybody knew he could do. What it signifies to me is a change in the scheme up front. Pulling guards are a staple of a more power based scheme. As opposed to whatever the prior coach was doing.

The key is going to be how he holds up in pass protection - and against the caliber of guys he's going to see along the defensive line every week in the NFL. You can't have him out there doing this:

Shades of Jonathan Martin... yikes

At least Martin had that happen to him from a dialed in Aldon Smith.

I just don’t agree with that. I want the pick of the litter. 0 and 16 all day long if it gives me it. Although if tua doesn’t come out it would be very disappointing
with all due respect, your record on QBs here hasn't been stellar, and if you favor tua over herbert next year that trend will continue.

If you have the top pick you aren’t gonna have to part with all those present and future assets to get there.

It only cost you #1 overall. And yes I see that as ideal.

You get closer to pick 5 to make a move it’s gonna cost you out the nose to go get a qb. They aren’t gonna just give it to you.

I’d like to keep and be able to use as many of those draft assets for players to help build my football team with.

Not cause I won a couple more meaningless games.

How do you opening decide to go 0-16 at the beginning of the season?
How does Flores, the gm, and the owner bang on the table for 0-16?
How do you tell those players in the locker room that's the goal?

It's one thing if they're that bad(which raises question about this entire coaching staff) and their 0-10 and the conversation starts.
But to openingly endorse tanking a season to guarantee the #1 overall pick is something i can never get behind.

I mean who really cares what the perception of this team would be if we went 0-16. Browns were a dumpster fire for 5-10 years. Now they have a QB and are the media darlings. Think the Colts and their fans were heartbroken when they had to draft Luck? Think they would do that 1-15 season over again?

But that's the thing tho you don't need Andrew Luck to be competitive.
Seattle did it with Wilson and already won a SB while Andrew Luck is still chasing one.
Hell, KC has made great strides with Mahomes
Deshaun Watson, Nick Foles etc aren't #1 overall picks.

By all accounts Rosen isn't trusting his eyes. Isn't letting it rip.

Yet.

That has zero to do with his talent, his future, or his potential.

It means he isn't fully comfortable in the offense, and the game hasn't slowed down for him.

The switch will flip when he settles in, and then we will see.

That may be this week, or the week leading up to the third preseason game, or never.

But, until he can just relax, go out there, and play ball, this is all window dressing.

If it never happens, oh well, you move on.

Playing with our back up O Line and (primarily) second and third string skill players isn't ever going to help his comfort level either, but this is the NFL and you have to earn those first string reps.

How do you opening decide to go 0-16 at the beginning of the season?
How does Flores, the gm, and the owner bang on the table for 0-16?
How do you tell those players in the locker room that's the goal?

It's one thing if they're that bad(which raises question about this entire coaching staff) and their 0-10 and the conversation starts.
But to openingly endorse tanking a season to guarantee the #1 overall pick is something i can never get behind.

Problem is it's unrealistic and our rooting interests do not affect it. Just root for the team and let the chips fall as they may. Gunning against wins will not help. My opinion is this team will not be very good. But not as bad as everyone thinks unless the wheels completely fall of injury wise. We're probably in the dreaded 5-7 win range before injuries, let it play out.

Seattle did it with Wilson and already won a SB while Andrew Luck is still chasing one.
Even thou he won 1 I still wouldn't of paid him 35 mil and would of sold him to the highest bidder and picked up a new one

I'm so sick of Andrew Luck. He's a very good QB but when you hear people talk about him you'd think he's won the last 7 super bowls and passing titles. So if the Colts continue rebuilding and win a Super Bowl in say 2021 (when Lucks a 10 year veteran) are people really going to sit back and think, "I knew tanking for Luck was a great move" 10 years and 2 rebuilds after he was drafted? At that point (10 years later) who's to say they couldn't have won it with another QB playing behind the best O-LINE in the NFL?

Back
Top Bottom