True measurement of Chris Grier. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

True measurement of Chris Grier.

When I look at Grier (and I am an unabashed fan of what he's been doing), what I see is a constant ability to get more out of trades than he should, and to sign players for less than he should be able to do.

Other than the short-term contracts that we handed out when we were a horrible squad, he just keeps getting players for less than the market price: David Long, DeShon Elliot, Connor Williams, Eric Saubert, Malik Reed... all steals. Even the higher ticket signings of Armstead, Ramsey, and Ogbah came in at less than the expected prices floated by the experts.

Then he gets productive vets like Mostert, Wilson, Riley, Ingram, Berrios, Feeney... etc etc... to come in on very reasonable, low dollar amounts.

The trades? Tunsil. Ramsey, Chubb, Hill... all for terms that favoured us.

Those who bash Grier always focus on very small-minded ideas... this or that guy has been a bust, they childishly whine-- never mentioning that EVERY team has their share of busts. But but but... IGGY sucks they cry. Yeah... a lot of well drafted guys don't make it... but Tua looks pretty good, and Phillips... So does Robert Hunt. And this safety we got named Holland. Oh... and Wilkins has proven to be one of the best in the league... and Van Ginkle has been fun from the fifth... oh, and Needham and Kohou have been STEALS from the UDFA class.

Since Grier has been in actual charge of this thing... we've become very good, very fast.

...and that, we have not won a playoff game in 20 years crap. Grier took over just before the draft in 2016. Just figure that he's had control from 2017 on...
Yo Fever… I noticed a “u”in your spelling of favorite… Are you perhaps… Wait for it…a fellow Canuck?? 🇨🇦 Flag on ur knapsack? If ya are, let us know and then I wanna guess what city you’re from k?

**** the word was favored… Wait what?

Sweet, I musta gone full Rip Van Winkle and missed the rest of the offseason, last thing I knew it was late March. What time is the game on Sunday? Can't wait.
I can appreciate your patient approach. However what in Grier’s history tell you that help is on the way? If/when the oline isn’t addressed adequately before the season, which would fit Grier’s history, then is it ok to criticize him for an insane gamble?

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Yes, he's made some mistakes, but I am guessing Ross and his inner circle aren't as clueless as some think they are.

Our 2023 first and 2024 third round picks would disagree with you.

Yo Fever… I noticed a “u”in your spelling of favorite… Are you perhaps… Wait for it…a fellow Canuck?? 🇨🇦 Flag on ur knapsack? If ya are, let us know and then I wanna guess what city you’re from k?
Californian... and an amateur novelist who disguises his nationality.

The problem is that this team has fundamental problems. Specifically the oline. If Tua gets hurt year in and year out because Chris Grier cant protect him then it doesnt matter what else he does. If the run game is the last in the league again this year after this guy made no moves to improve the oline or running backs that will be negligence on his part.
When are summa you guys ever gonna learn… It wasn’t the Oline that got Tua hurt… It was his own bad decisions…and he’s learning from them.

On paper, this does look like the most talented roster in many, many years for Miami.

But until it plays out on the field, and cumulates into a potential Super Bowl Winning season, than that's all it is. A team full of talent.
I remember the Chargers drafting well for about five years in a row and everyone thinking they had super bowl talent. It just never materialized for them for whatever reason.

Talent is just part of the equation. For Miami a lot depends on McDaniel and the coaching staff. Plus, Tua staying healthy.

I can appreciate your patient approach. However what in Grier’s history tell you that help is on the way? If/when the oline isn’t addressed adequately before the season, which would fit Grier’s history, then is it ok to criticize him for an insane gamble?
Nearly every other issue this team had has been addressed more than adequately which leads me to believe attention going forward should be laser focused on o-line and TE. If it's not, and the team breaks training camp hoping and praying, I will be the first to brandish my pitchfork . The draft is still to come (with limited resourses admittedly), second/third/etc. waves of free agency , camp cuts, potential trades for future assets, in short there are multiple opportunites to improve the o-line still to come. I'm particularly encouraged by the fact that league wide a trend has developed where really good vets , certainly discouraged by present market value for their services, seem content to wait it out. And a whole lot of them are o-linemen, players who multiple PROFESSIONAL analysts seem to approve of.

The Dolphins were never going to give McGlinchey or any other high priced RT an exhorbitant contract IMO. It also doesn't make any sense, as many have suggested, to sign or trade for a LT and then jam the square peg into a round hole. Like it or not it certainly appears as of today Eich and AJ will be given every opportunity to win starting jobs. I'm just not sure what else Grier was supposed to do 10 days into free agency, maybe somebody could enlighten me? There are, fortunately, miles to go until the rubber meets the road. Until such time, I will continue to believe (hope maybe? pray?) reinforcements are on the way and let the people who get paid to build a team do their jobs.

Dolphins are talented and should have success, but Football is judged on results, not projections.

Fact is Grier is the longest tenured GM whose team hasn’t won’t a playoff game since he was hired.

Grier desperately needs team success to validate his tenure as GM imo.

There is a simple measurement for how good or bad Chris Grier is. I know that we can all point to this move or that move that didn’t work out or that a better move could’ve been made, but the true measurement of Chris Grier and his skill or success is how talented is the roster he has a assembled, and then how far does it get this year.

On paper, this looks like the most talented Dolphins roster I’ve seen in 30 years. For all of the criticism, this is a talented roster.
I agree that this is likely the best roster the Dolphins have had in almost 3 decades. Yet the last great roster they had going into the season was the 1995 Dolphins that was loaded with first round draft picks.

That team was picked by many experts to win the SB prior to season. They made the playoffs after coming in 3rd in the AFC East division but lost to the Bills in the first round of the playoffs.

That ended up being Don Shula’s last year as the Dolphins head coach. I just hope this loaded roster has a lot more success than the last Dolphins loaded roster had.

Dolphins are talented and should have success, but Football is judged on results, not projections.

Fact is Grier is the longest tenured GM whose team hasn’t won’t a playoff game since he was hired.

Grier desperately needs team success to validate his tenure as GM imo.
Definitely time to win big.

Back
Top Bottom