Tua being slighted among the future of AFC QBs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua being slighted among the future of AFC QBs

The person I quoted literally said,

Maybe I'm wrong but the way it comes across to me is that Tua has no room for improvement, the QB he was as a rookie is the QB he is going to be. He is what he is. I just applied that same logic to Herbert and his 6-9 record. That's not a straw man that's using his own faulty logic against him.

Now if thats not what he meant then I am wrong and misread what he was trying to say.

I don't care that Tua cannot run or throw like Herbert, how many can?

The only question that matters to me is can you be a successful QB in the NFL with the arm that Tua has? IMO after seeing Manning on the Bronco's throwing ducks on his way to 55 TD's and seeing Pennington have success that was only derailed due to injury which took away what little arm strength he had to begin with, and seeing Brees and his accomplishments I say the answer is yes. But that's just me.
The question should not be is it possible. A lot of things are possible. The question is, how likely is it? If you are going back to Montana, or even Brees, the "odds" are not favorable.

Two guys in forty years? You could put Wilson in that discussion, but his arm, and running ability are superior to Tuas, as well.

The person I quoted literally said,

Maybe I'm wrong but the way it comes across to me is that Tua has no room for improvement, the QB he was as a rookie is the QB he is going to be. He is what he is. I just applied that same logic to Herbert and his 6-9 record. That's not a straw man that's using his own faulty logic against him.

Now if thats not what he meant then I am wrong and misread what he was trying to say.

I don't care that Tua cannot run or throw like Herbert, how many can?

The only question that matters to me is can you be a successful QB in the NFL with the arm that Tua has? IMO after seeing Manning on the Bronco's throwing ducks on his way to 55 TD's and seeing Pennington have success that was only derailed due to injury which took away what little arm strength he had to begin with, and seeing Brees and his accomplishments I say the answer is yes. But that's just me.
It is certainly possible. The real question is, is it likely?

P. Manning had a much stronger arm before the neck problem, and his stature, overall, makes it a bad comp anyway. Chad never really did as much in the league as some purport.

If you are going back multiple decades to make a case, it probably isn't a very strong case.

Tua was very smart about how he handle his decisions on when he should run the ball in 2020. He handled it how Tannehill did in 2012 and Ryan wasn't
coming off a major injury. Give Tua an off season work out room and another part of his game will expand his level of play.

Tua passed season one as a rookie and survived.

Actually I meant QB specific traits, but you knew that. You just don't like the ramifications of an honest answer. I could be mistaken,l in that but whatever.

As to your actual answer, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you stated. It just means the actual QB may not be as important as one might think.

The 3 most important traits to me are the mental aspect of the game ie can you read a defense? When you get under center do you know what you are seeing? Do you know how to beat it? Do you know how to counter it? etc etc. The guys that understand the mental aspect of the game tend to last a-lot longer and have sustained success.

Accuracy- put it only where your target can catch it, put it where you optimize YAC.

Arm Strength-You need enough where it's not a hinderance. Obviously having a bazooka helps and is awesome but as long as you have an above average arm paired with an elite brain and accuracy you are golden.

I guess I just don't know what value the comparison has, then.

If all you are saying is you think he deserves more time, no need to bring Allen into it, at all.

The difference is, Allen had a chance to improve his accuracy, and read skills. Tua isn't going to learn to be 6'4, have a canon for an arm, or be the runner JA is.

I like Tua, but his situation isn't comparabe to JAs, as a rookie.

TT may end up having the elite mind, but will never have elite physical skills, and that limits hus ceiling. Ppl tout Brees as the comp, and that's fine. How many championships?
I'm not sure why you're making this about skill sets when it can just be about the process of development.

They talk about the future of the AFC being the best of the best in terms of QB. One thing I notice is while the article is naming the QBs, the of course slight Tua.

"And Justin Herbert, how about Joe Burrow rehabbing," Smith continued. "It’s Mahomes, it’s Allen, it’s Jackson, it’s [Ryan] Tannehill, it’s Baker [Mayfield], it’s Tua [Tagovailoa], if you’re a believer in Tua. It’s Herbert, it’s Burrow, it’s Watson, it’s going to be Trevor Lawrence, and maybe Justin Fields. There are so many teams with enviable QB positions, and that’s just the AFC."

It's poised to be one of the most talented, interesting conferences in terms of quarterbacks, maybe in the history of the NFL"

Good ole Dolphin slights.. here's to a fast offseason.

Why would they mention Tua?

How did they slight Tua? He is what he is -- just another Dolphins QB who couldn't win the big game to put the team into the playoffs. This is the NFL. You either win when it matters or you become somebody's backup.

Amen.
Tho, tbh once I heard Fitz was out, the playoffs were gone. No need to speculate or hope. Seen Tua in his previous performances.

Last edited:
Michael Smith is a moron..plain and simple...

I'm not sure why you're making this about skill sets when it can just be about the process of development.
Only because some skills, like reading, accuracy, and decision making can be developed to a greater extent than physical ones.

Pointing out differences is not, necessarily, bashing one guy as opposed to another. It's just the reality of the situation.

I just don't think some of the comparisons, such as Tua/Allen have any real world application.

They talk about the future of the AFC being the best of the best in terms of QB. One thing I notice is while the article is naming the QBs, the of course slight Tua.

"And Justin Herbert, how about Joe Burrow rehabbing," Smith continued. "It’s Mahomes, it’s Allen, it’s Jackson, it’s [Ryan] Tannehill, it’s Baker [Mayfield], it’s Tua [Tagovailoa], if you’re a believer in Tua. It’s Herbert, it’s Burrow, it’s Watson, it’s going to be Trevor Lawrence, and maybe Justin Fields. There are so many teams with enviable QB positions, and that’s just the AFC."

It's poised to be one of the most talented, interesting conferences in terms of quarterbacks, maybe in the history of the NFL"

Good ole Dolphin slights.. here's to a fast offseason.
Not sure I see the slight?

Not sure I see the slight?
It was a slight slight....

"It’s Mahomes, it’s Allen, it’s Jackson, it’s [Ryan] Tannehill, it’s Baker [Mayfield], it’s Tua [Tagovailoa], if you’re a believer in Tua. It’s Herbert, it’s Burrow, it’s Watson, it’s going to be Trevor Lawrence, and maybe Justin Fields

He was the only QB that included a qualification.

Funny how the people who were the most irrational with their criticism of Tannehill who is a real franchise QB, defend lil Tua to the hilt lmao. Dudes got a LOOOOOONG ways to go, IF he can even get there...

I guess I just don't know what value the comparison has, then.

If all you are saying is you think he deserves more time, no need to bring Allen into it, at all.

The difference is, Allen had a chance to improve his accuracy, and read skills. Tua isn't going to learn to be 6'4, have a canon for an arm, or be the runner JA is.

I like Tua, but his situation isn't comparabe to JAs, as a rookie.

TT may end up having the elite mind, but will never have elite physical skills, and that limits hus ceiling. Ppl tout Brees as the comp, and that's fine. How many championships?
More championships than Marino and JA combined

Funny how the people who were the most irrational with their criticism of Tannehill who is a real franchise QB, defend lil Tua to the hilt lmao. Dudes got a LOOOOOONG ways to go, IF he can even get there...
Tannehill is gone because he couldn’t get it done - he still can’t get it done unless Henry spots him 150 yards

Back
Top Bottom