Tua come out or Tua not to come out | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua come out or Tua not to come out

Is Tua even going to throw at the combine...run a 40...do any agility drills?

I don't think so. Neither would he if he were healthy. Tua's workout will be showing up for interviews, combine events and events leading up to the draft on his two feet, no wheelchair, crutch or even reaching out for chairs.

He will have to stand and walk naturally, no limp and act as if he had no pain.

He will have to walk and stand whenever expected to.

Not many QBs do...

Out of 9 QBs drafted last year, only 3 didn't participate in the agility drills (Murray, Haskins, and Thorson).

We should simply overlook a players agility...hell, and throwing, with a bum hip (to put it mildly) just because most of us had pom poms out for him for two seasons?

I was cool with overpaying for the rib eye steak he was. I will not pay Morton's prices for a steak from Outback...that fell on the floor.

Out of 9 QBs drafted last year, only 3 didn't participate in the agility drills (Murray, Haskins, and Thorson).

We should simply overlook a players agility...hell, and throwing, with a bum hip (to put it mildly) just because most of us had pom poms out for him for two seasons?

I was cool with overpaying for the rib eye steak he was. I will not pay Morton's prices for a steak from Outback...that fell on the floor.

and of those they were QB 1 and 3 drafted.

I was simply pointing out that most top QBs rarely participate and only do the interviews.

This was neither a pro or anti-Tua take, just an observation.

Would you expect a guy recovering from a torn ACL to run a 40 at the Combine?

If I was going all in on said player...hell yes. If he was too injured to run the 40, he would become someone else's trash...or treasure.

Bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see how that works out for ya.

I was going to say the same for you and your drive to select Tua, come hell or high water.

If I was going all in on said player...hell yes. If he was too injured to run the 40, he would become someone else's trash...or treasure.

If you're determining whether or not to draft Tua based on his ability to run a 40 four months after a major hip injury I think you're missing the point.

I'm not concerned if he can run a 40 by February. I need to know if and when he's going to be healthy and back to the elite prospect we saw the last 2 years. That'll be a determination made by the doctors, not the combine.

If the answer is no, then so be it, but that won't be determined by his 40 time in February.

If you're determining whether or not to draft Tua based on his ability to run a 40 four months after a major hip injury I think you're missing the point.

I'm not concerned if he can run a 40 by February. I need to know if and when he's going to be healthy and back to the elite prospect we saw the last 2 years. That'll be a determination made by the doctors, not the combine.

If the answer is no, then so be it, but that won't be determined by his 40 time in February.

You didn't scroll back far enough. Running the 40 is only a part of the parcel.

He will not be the same player he was in college...and he's moving up to better competition with less ability than he had before.

My common sense tells me that he would have to be 100% to warrant that top 5 pick. 100% doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Last edited:
Would you expect a guy recovering from a torn ACL to run a 40 at the Combine?
Serious question....not smart ass. Do you see his hip injury as no more concerning than an ACL? I'd draft him in the same slot I planned if it was an ACL. I'm MUCH more concerned with a hip injury...maybe Im way off

Serious question....not smart ***. Do you see his hip injury as no more concerning than an ACL? I'd draft him in the same slot I planned if it was an ACL. I'm MUCH more concerned with a hip injury...maybe Im way off

Serious answer, yeah they're about the same.

With a skill position player taking an ACL injury there's always a chance he's just not the same guy. Always. It's a concern.

But this isn't a skill position player, it's a QB. And we're not talking about a guy who made his living off the run, either. It's not Jalen Hurts. So normally, you're less concerned with the QB than the skill guy.

However, balancing that out is the fact that it's a pretty bad injury. Normally considered to be worse than an ACL. He'll have metal in his hip. There will be some limitations on his inward hip rotation. It's his lead hip, which is more about aim and outward rotation, whereas the back hip is his power/inward rotation, but the limitations could have some effect on his mobility.

So it all balances out.

Serious answer, yeah they're about the same.

With a skill position player taking an ACL injury there's always a chance he's just not the same guy. Always. It's a concern.

But this isn't a skill position player, it's a QB. And we're not talking about a guy who made his living off the run, either. It's not Jalen Hurts. So normally, you're less concerned with the QB than the skill guy.

However, balancing that out is the fact that it's a pretty bad injury. Normally considered to be worse than an ACL. He'll have metal in his hip. There will be some limitations on his inward hip rotation. It's his lead hip, which is more about aim and outward rotation, whereas the back hip is his power/inward rotation, but the limitations could have some effect on his mobility.

So it all balances out.
Fair enough. I'll say Im more worried about long term complications than I would be if he had an ACL. Guess we'll see how the NFL sees it in about four months...

From analyzing previous hip injuries to high-end college players and NFL pros and comparing them to Tua's I come away with this conclusion.

If he does all of what I described above, acting natural, then you invite him for dinner but throw in some Lazer tag or mini-golf in, lol if he looks natural, comfortable and healthy, and the doctors are as optimistic as now about his recovery you snag him at #4.

Worse case scenario is Dennis Pitta who still played for the most part of three seasons, actually had a career season thrown in that window until he got his 3rd hip injury and a hip replacement.

But Pitta's injury was an inguinal fracture. The head of the femur is sideways from the rest of the bone and the bone joining it is tiny. You often lean all your weight on it. Of course if if it's not 100% it will break.

From the video you can see in Tua's injury the position and angle of his leg is already pointing out from his hip at the time of the impact. I'm not a doctor or have any inside scoop but I would assume that when they say break of the back wall of the acetabulum, they mean dent or chip to the tip of the back lid of the socket.

Not a full transversal break of the whole hip bone. Otherwise he wouldn't even have been able to stand on his left foot either when they got him on the cart and wouldn't be able to even sit for the times he's gone out in public.

I assume the plate they used didn't join but replace the lid.

Actually, I think now he would even be less likely to suffer the exact same injury because of the plate.

If he broke his hip again it would have to come with enough kinetic energy to break the hip bone in two or three. Car accident type injury.

I would compare it more to Jason Allen's, CJ Mosley's or Albert Wilson's where there was no break than Pitta's.

The risk is AVN or any type of bone loss or pain from sciatic nerve damage or arthritis.

Both of which can be managed and if he does make a recovery to even run, jump and perhaps most importantly duck and squat naturally confidently which you will hopefully know by draft Day will give you enough time to find out if he is good.

I would trade him away for 3 firsts and some change before the end of his contract though. Let the risk be someone else's then.

Back
Top Bottom