Tua come out or Tua not to come out | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua come out or Tua not to come out

Every QB you draft has an inherent risk, whether it is injury as in Tua's case or ability. There is concern on how Mich Tua can play or it he could play. I fully understand that, but you get the same thing with any QB taken at the top of the draft, but the questions will always be "is he developing, will he turn it around, will this be his break out year". Tua is never the same, you find that out and Draft a QB in 2021. You draft another QB, you could spend 7 year finding out he was never the one and have to draft another QB.

Pull the band-aid off quickly, or draw that **** out for a long time?

If a QB says "I don’t think I’d be the same again because there’s, like metal in here, you know?" I won't pick him in the top 10 unless I can blow a top 10 pick.
Can he play again? Probably. But how much will be taken away?
I guess that depends on how much he is affected by a potential loss of flexibility in his hip. How much will that affect his game?

I totally get what you're stating. But at the same time-- the 2 situations have very little in common.

Brees was simply a capital $ risk and came for "free" in terms of draft capital.

I can only say this -- if we grab Tua with a high R1 and he implodes physically the fan base will be

demanding Grier's scalp for taking such a stupid risk with an R1 pick. And you can bet the prior Tua supporters

will remain silent in the background. I know a lot of folks believe Tua is some kind of savior and have invested

huge amounts of emotional capital into his pick as a Dolphin --- but the kid is NOT the same PRO prospect

he was before these back to back injuries (obviously underscoring the hip). You just can't reverse what happened.
And what do you think the fan base would be like if Miami passes on Tua and he goes on to have a great career? I would be way more pissed in that scenario than if they pulled the trigger on him and his health didn't allow him to reach his full potential.

Not only will Tua not slide in this draft, If Miami wants him they will probably have to move up in the draft to take him. Even if the teams in front of Miami don't need him or are unwilling to take a risk on his health, the teams behind Miami in the draft would know the threat that Miami would be to select him so they would certainly be willing to leapfrog in front of them to secure the selection. So if Miami is convinced he will make a full recovery, they better be willing to move up, possibly all the way up to the number 2 pick in the first round to select him.

Don't be surprised if that's exactly what happens. This franchise didn't tear the roster down to the bare bones for the acquisition of draft capital so it could just sit idlily by when it comes to the QB position. At least that's the way a smart franchise would handle it, but I'm not yet convinced Miami is a smart franchise, so there's that.

And what do you think the fan base would be like if Miami passes on Tua and he goes on to have a great career? I would be way more pissed in that scenario than if they pulled the trigger on him and his health didn't allow him to reach his full potential.

Agreed. But the FO can't make decisions based on what ifs -- with R1s you need to be as sure as possible IMO.

Until proven otherwise -- Tua is a significant risk in terms of dependability / durability.

If ??? it was a sure thing that he will be "good as new" and past the injury prone stage its a no-brainer.

Time will tell...

And what do you think the fan base will say if we spend a 1st round pick and then Tua will not work out? You will be one of the cheerleaders of the "Grier sucks" crowd.

GMs don't have the luxury to just gamble. If anybody (incl the Dolphins) will draft Tua it will be done on a lot of research not some fandom idea of "Tua is invincible. He is God. "

The gamble for the next franchise QB is already tough enough with healthy prospects. A team like the Dolphins with many needs cannot afford to waste any draft picks on a player with a major hip injury and some "should have, would have, could have" in a few years down the road.

And what do you think the fan base will say if we spend a 1st round pick and then Tua will not work out? You will be one of the cheerleaders of the "Grier sucks" crowd.

GMs don't have the luxury to just gamble. If anybody (incl the Dolphins) will draft Tua it will be done on a lot of research not some fandom idea of "Tua is invincible. He is God. "

The gamble for the next franchise QB is already tough enough with healthy prospects. A team like the Dolphins with many needs cannot afford to waste any draft picks on a player with a major hip injury and some "should have, would have, could have" in a few years down the road.
Yeah, I guess you're right. QBs are so easy to find. The Dolphins should just keep trying to build their team for another 20 years. You've seen how easy it has been to replace Marino. No sense gambling on greatness. Miami should shoot for .500 again. :rolleyes:

I'm already in the "Grier sucks" crowd. I don't give a flying f**k what happens to Grier. What do you think is going to happen to him anyway if he doesn't land a franchise QB after stripping this roster down to the bare bones? If Ross is as stupid as I fear he might be, he might allow Grier to push off the decision for one more season, but I hope not.

Yeah, I guess you're right. QBs are so easy to find. The Dolphins should just keep trying to build their team for another 20 years. You've seen how easy it has been to replace Marino. No sense gambling on greatness. Miami should shoot for .500 again. :rolleyes:
Nothing in his post stated QBs are easy to find. He said it’s hard enough as it is, even with healthy prospects. Taking one with a serious issue lowers your chances even more.

Agreed. But the FO can't make decisions based on what ifs -- with R1s you need to be as sure as possible IMO.

Until proven otherwise -- Tua is a significant risk in terms of dependability / durability.

If ??? it was a sure thing that he will be "good as new" and past the injury prone stage its a no-brainer.

Time will tell...
There is never a sure thing when it comes to the draft. Every team thinks every one of their selections are going to work out. Miami has never been in a better position than they are now to gamble on greatness.

Nothing in his post stated QBs are easy to find. He said it’s hard enough as it is, even with healthy prospects. Taking one with a serious issue lowers your chances even more.
No one knows what his long term prognosis is right now but all of his doctors feel comfortable that he will make a full recovery. If that is still the case come draft time, I'm of the opinion Tua would be worth the risk.

The question I have is if we pass on Tua at 3/4, do we get another swing at him?

Does a team like the Chargers, Bucs, Colts or a number of teams take a shot to let him sit behind whatever situation they have.

If Tua makes it to that 2nd pick, or even if we have to move up 3-4 spots, I'd do it. Let him sit behind our current situation for 2020.

Come the 2021 draft we will have seen Tua for a full year, Rosen for 2 years, and know whether or not we need to go all for Fields/Lawrence

The question I have is if we pass on Tua at 3/4, do we get another swing at him?

Does a team like the Chargers, Bucs, Colts or a number of teams take a shot to let him sit behind whatever situation they have.

If Tua makes it to that 2nd pick, or even if we have to move up 3-4 spots, I'd do it. Let him sit behind our current situation for 2020.

Come the 2021 draft we will have seen Tua for a full year, Rosen for 2 years, and know whether or not we need to go all for Fields/Lawrence

Not likely, Tua is going top 15 and most likely top 10.

Too much talent, some teams have the luxury to take the chance, and it may shock some, but Miami is one of them (due tot he number of picks in this draft and next years draft).

Right now, he is QB 2 behind Burrow, you may have to take him at 4 and play the game that he recovers. I mentioned above that all QBs come with risk, you have to weigh is the talent is worth it and if you feel your team can fix the istake if he does indeed fail to recover properly. The Dolphins are in a unique position that they can recover. It would take a ballsy GM, to make the pick.

Sucks he got injured but the reports of full recovery are encouraging. I'd be completely fine taking him with our first pick if the Medicals check out in four month so. Take the swing for greatness. What are we gonna miss out on? That franchise changing LT or CB? i jest

Back
Top Bottom