Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino... | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua has a quicker release time than Dan Marino...

I agree and if I come off as pessimistic I apologize as I am a glass half empty guy a lot of the time. We need him to be what we thought he could be. I hope he puts in the work and pray this FO gets this offseason right.
Yep! Let's hope like hell Tua is better and makes that huge jump.

Who cares about records when stats don't mean anything, right?

His completion percentage is high because his completion percentage is high. He throws the ball farther than rocket armed Herbert so this thing where he only throws 5 yards is just made up and perpetuated by people such as yourself.

Tua can have a Dan Marino release. He doesn't also have Dan Marino arm strength. Dan Marino also had a weaker arm than Jamarcus Russell, but who cares? We're talking about one specific thing that he compares with Marino in.

Is that not allowed? Should Marino never get compared to anybody ever because of all the Championships he brought this city? Literally all he brought you was stats and enjoyment. That's it. He had his own flaws, but I guess you'd never know it listening to people talk about him like he's literally God.
He is God, I like Tua but what you’re saying about DM in this post is offensive. If Tua has the left arm of god then he has Marino’s left arm. Simple.

I knew I'd get backlash for this post tbh, but the more I think about it, the less I care. Yes the board is divided right now, but thats not my problem. If posting a thread about an elite(maybe all time elite) trait your top 5 pick rookie has is frowned upon, then what the hell am I doing here anyway.

I always try to post insightful stuff thats outside of the framework of popular discussion at any given time. Like you said, I didnt compare Tua to Marino because Tua is the rookie and Marino is the best QB the Fins ever had, it was because Marino is legit viewed as the QB with the quickest release all time, and he also happens to have played for the Fins.

Im baffled by the fact people are getting pissed at this... I legit hope the Fins never end up 15-0 going into week 17 in the future... God forbid you should root for the Fins to win game 16 and **** all over the 72 team...

Anyhow, this was a positive thread and I dont care if it gets a certain fraction upset. I hope Tua ends up better than Dan Marino, that'd be awesome(no matter how unlikely it is), I also hope the Fins next RB ends up better than Ricky, I hope the next DE is better than Taylor, next LB better than Thomas... These are all good things if they happen.
Mate you are entitled to your opinion and nothing wrong with the thread at all. It’s a discussion piece

The major difference was in a bottle and syringe....
If you don't think Roger Clemmons would have been great without the needle that is fair but I would say his stuff was pretty powerful without the needle. I get where a hitter gets power to hit with juice but see it more as a supplement to a pitcher. I mean this guy was rocking 95-100 mph fastballs before any needles. It is a young mans game and we all lose testosterone as we age. Hell Barry Bonds was a badass before the juice. These guys just sustained their careers longer. Not saying that is right but needle or no needle Maddux could never measure up to Clemmons physical attributes.

If you don't think Roger Clemmons would have been great without the needle that is fair but I would say his stuff was pretty powerful without the needle. I get where a hitter gets power to hit with juice but see it more as a supplement to a pitcher. I mean this guy was rocking 95-100 mph fastballs before any needles. It is a young mans game and we all lose testosterone as we age. Hell Barry Bonds was a badass before the juice. These guys just sustained their careers longer. Not saying that is right but needle or no needle Maddux could never measure up to Clemmons physical attributes.
Maybe not, but Greg could clip any part of the black that he wanted, then move it out a half inch at a time with precision, getting called strikes based on his ludicrous accuracy.

Clemmons could never come close to him in that aspect.

Having said that, pitchers and QBs are not comparable in any meaningful way.

The Tua debate has developed into groups who are pro Tua- who still think he is an elite prospect vs. anti- Tua who thinks he is already a bust and wont ever be good. Then there a few of us who are trying to be somewhere in the middle and trying to be more objective and level headed.
Tua was certainly hampered by terrible WR play and pretty bad play calling. Cant blame Tua for that and the coaches need to do better.
But to ignore Tua's obvious shortcomings that alot of us didnt see is also wrong- his lack of size and strength physically. his average arm strength and his inaccuracy throwing in alot of situations. Plus his pocket presence and ability to create throws was mediocre at best.

They simply need to create a different offense than the one they put him in last year. Get better skill players, better offensive schemes and play calling and I think Tua will be good. If not then you move on.
So he was amazing considering he was a rook and the Offense pieces - got it and can’t agree with you more

The Tua debate has developed into groups who are pro Tua- who still think he is an elite prospect vs. anti- Tua who thinks he is already a bust and wont ever be good. Then there a few of us who are trying to be somewhere in the middle and trying to be more objective and level headed.
Tua was certainly hampered by terrible WR play and pretty bad play calling. Cant blame Tua for that and the coaches need to do better.
But to ignore Tua's obvious shortcomings that alot of us didnt see is also wrong- his lack of size and strength physically. his average arm strength and his inaccuracy throwing in alot of situations. Plus his pocket presence and ability to create throws was mediocre at best.

They simply need to create a different offense than the one they put him in last year. Get better skill players, better offensive schemes and play calling and I think Tua will be good. If not then you move on.

I totally respect posts like this that set the stage with a nice condescending tone , painting the poster as the voice of reason amongst madness all around. I totally don't stop reading these after line one :p

yeah don't want to get off topic, i was just saying clemens could throw a ball through a concrete wall, where as maddux couldn't, but he could make the ball go around the concrete wall and land back in front. so it has some relevance to post

Just a fact

one was a TO machine thru first 6 games and we had a 3~3 record - he left plays on the field points off the board so they made a change

I am guessing they don’t make a change if the above were not true

I will gladly Cherry pick the Seahawks game if necessary - points left off the board

Clearly The season and QB swapping was as much about the future as the present and only one will be here in the future
Fact, They didn’t make the switch because of turnovers, the plan all along was to make the switch on the bye week.

Fact, They didn’t make the switch because of turnovers, the plan all along was to make the switch on the bye week.

Right, pretty standard operating procedure.

He went toe to toe with Kyler Murray at his peak. He had a lot of people thinking Super Bowl before Austin Jackson started getting beat across the face on the regular.

We do what we did in the off season for the defense last year, for the offense and look the **** out.

Marino had better anticipation than any QB ever. He also had the best (and quickest) release ever...I don't care what the chart devised by some ham-and-egger (thanks, Bobby Heenan) says. Marino could hold the ball for the last split second and then deliver it because of his release and velocity (often waiting until Duper/Clayton/Moore/McDuffie/Fryar/Gadsden/Martin/Ingram to give him a small window). Perhaps there is some merit to the study (though I have seen similar studies where the comparisons aren't apples to apples). But, Marino (only Rodgers is close--historically, folks mentioned Namath and Jurgensen) seemed to have the quickest reaction time from brain to arm to throw. Also, young Marino had a different delivery than older Marino. His basic delivery changed somewhat over his career.

On a side note, Chad Pennington also had excellent anticipation and superb accuracy (not placing him in any all-time discussion , but relevant since he was a QB in the AFC EAST and for the Dolphins. After his arm strength left him (due to the shoulder injuries), he relied on anticipation to make up for the lack of zip on his passes. He never had a super arm (by NFL standards). Towards the end of his career, his arm was way below average for the NFL . Anticipation and accuracy can overcome a lot. Marino was simply blessed with all those traits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom