****Tua Tagovailoa super thread**** | Page 280 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Tua Tagovailoa super thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing to keep in mind about the number 13:
The Dolphins organization is even protective of its non-retired numbers. Remember 39 wasn't retired for years, but no one was ever allowed to wear it.
You rarely see someone wearing 66 or 67. Sometimes now, but it is rare.
Has anyone worn 99 or 54 since JT and Zach retired? I believe no.
So to think that Miami would unretire the number of its best player ever is a nonstarter.
And like many posters have said, as long as Tua knows its retired, I can't imagine him being disrespectful enough to ask.

In the Chargers article as far as Tua vs lesser competition goes, I will say this at the risk of being thrown overboard:
I do appreciate the point of Tua vs lesser competition; I don't know that we should say "don't draft tua" because of the points made in the article, but it should be at least a comparison point to scout the reasons why he struggled- did he have less time in the pocket, were his receivers covered better, was his running game stifled- to delve into what happened. There could be an accumulation of factors that should be examined, and perhaps it could be determined that despite having 1 less second in the pocket per throw, 50 yards less on the ground for example, that maybe he actually did better than average being put in the situation he was in. It at least forces scouts and evaluators to answer the question Why did he do worse against this competition? It could turn out that the answer helps his cause.
Then perhaps we should compare successful NFL QB's - let's take Mahomes- and compare his college stats vs lesser defenses vs Top 40 defenses, if he played against any at Texas Tech, and see if there is a similar decline.
Just a thought- see where the questions in the article take us rather than view the questions in the article as answers.

Wow, this argument is gonna go on for years.........why can't people like both Burrow and Tua? If seems like some of the people like Like Tua just hate on Burrow and vice versa. I like both and would be happy if we can draft one of them. I don't see the need to be so extreme here. We still have 25 days till the draft but I can see this will go on long after the draft and keep in mind that what situation they go to will have a lot to say about who will have a better NFL career.
Not if we don't draft him... LOL :shrug:

He didn't light anything up at any point of 2018.

He was god awful until the bowl game against USF.

His 2018 season was why he was an undrafted prospect going into 2019.
Exactly. That statement made my head spin. It's not often a guy goes from a r6+ prospect to #1 overall.

He's also a fortune teller, because he knows Bama will be #1 or #2 with Mac Jones and no Jeudy, Riggs or Wills.

He didn't light anything up at any point of 2018.

He was god awful until the bowl game against USF.

His 2018 season was why he was an undrafted prospect going into 2019.

Fair enough. I definitely see what you are saying as he had more bad games than good. His last couple of games did show improvement and that was UCF not USF and they were highly thought of. Hey I was a huge Tua fan when this process started and will be one if we draft him. Man we are due. All this and watch Herbert be the guy, lol.

I guess his last injury just really gave me pause but we definitely wouldn’t have a shot without it happening.

In the Chargers article as far as Tua vs lesser competition goes, I will say this at the risk of being thrown overboard:
I do appreciate the point of Tua vs lesser competition; I don't know that we should say "don't draft tua" because of the points made in the article, but it should be at least a comparison point to scout the reasons why he struggled- did he have less time in the pocket, were his receivers covered better, was his running game stifled- to delve into what happened. There could be an accumulation of factors that should be examined, and perhaps it could be determined that despite having 1 less second in the pocket per throw, 50 yards less on the ground for example, that maybe he actually did better than average being put in the situation he was in. It at least forces scouts and evaluators to answer the question Why did he do worse against this competition? It could turn out that the answer helps his cause.
Then perhaps we should compare successful NFL QB's - let's take Mahomes- and compare his college stats vs lesser defenses vs Top 40 defenses, if he played against any at Texas Tech, and see if there is a similar decline.
Just a thought- see where the questions in the article take us rather than view the questions in the article as answers.
Im not sure Mahomes played a top 40 defense in his last season. Most certainly the Oklahoma game in 2016 where Mahomes tossed a line of: 52/88 734 yds 5TD along with 12 rushes for 85 yds and 2TD. Combined I think the teams had over 1700 yards. So many current NFL players in that game.

I don’t have it in front of me but LSU was 10-3 and he was lighting it up at the end of the season. I mean part of his career was wasted in an Urban Meyer attack that he wasn’t suited for. It was his home state school. He finally got what was afforded Tua and that is an offense that played to his strengths.
Burrow was not stopped by a single D this year. Shredded the #1 and #3 scoring defense. Tua has shown to be very average when not feasting on the lower end of the schedule. its all out there. It doesn’t matter I hope we get one or the other but if your pulling out the word average. That also fits Tua when truly tested.
I didn’t, you did. That’s why I responded

Exactly. That statement made my head spin. It's not often a guy goes from a r6+ prospect to #1 overall.

He's also a fortune teller, because he knows Bama will be #1 or #2 with Mac Jones and no Jeudy, Riggs or Wills.

Would you care to wager on Bama being #1 or #2? What about Mac Jones performance last year gave you pause? He will have Leatherwood and a couple others on the line, a few pieces coming back on D including Surtain. Skill guys in Harris, Smith, Waddle.

Fortune Teller? Come on dude anyone with half a brain can see them or Clemson is going to be #1. Until this year Bama had been to the playoffs every year. Not much of a leap.

Fair enough. I definitely see what you are saying as he had more bad games than good. His last couple of games did show improvement and that was UCF not USF and they were highly thought of. Hey I was a huge Tua fan when this process started and will be one if we draft him. Man we are due. All this and watch Herbert be the guy, lol.

I guess his last injury just really gave me pause but we definitely wouldn’t have a shot without it happening.

I'll never take away from what he did last year, he was absolutely amazing, but his 2018 leaves a lot to be desired.

Burrow did not light it up at the end of his senior/jr season (you know his 4th year in college). He did play better but was still pretty average play..so yes, he looked super against Rice and Arkansas. As far as feasting on lower talent teams..he never played the 4th quarter....and he dropped 4tds and only one int against LSU...at about 80%. He did this while in his 3rd year of college. Joe Burrow remembers that years as the year he was 3rd string to Barrett and Haskins. Think about where any of the young college QBs would be if they had 3 years of development, maturing, and college-level coaching before they started. Burrow was in his 5th year of college when he put up that amazing season, but most guys who are good enough to do that are in the NFL by that time.

The year after Watson left, Clemson played again in the national title with Kelley Bryant.

What does it matter? College teams change so fast because players are there only a few years, rapid development, incoming freshman, staff changes...all this impacts a team. Mac Jones was also a highly rated recruit, so he is most likely pretty damn good as well.

Right. A lot of variables. I mean do you think Haskins or Barrett put him on the bench in this LSU attack? Highly unlikely. He chose to play for his home team and it wasn’t a good fit. It happens. Baker Mayfield anyone? Look I don’t want to argue with fellow Dolphin fans, Hell we have all been down enough. I pray that once the draft starts we leave it with Tua in tow, albeit without losing too much. His mechanics, timing, just beautiful. Just have a few concerns. The problem is instead of appreciating others abilities people just want to see Tua. What if we don’t get him? What will these people do? I will still back this team, Tua, Burrow, Herbert, etc....

Last edited:
The thing is, you’ve only been talking about to the talent around Tua and using it as a negative.. where is the criticism of Joe for being on a talented team?

And for the record, i think they’re both very good QBs. I’m not even trying to bash burrow, but it’s clear you aren’t objective here so far
Wait, when did I say that that Tua having talent around him was a negative over the talent that Burrow had around him? They both had great talent around them. I believe Tua had more talented players on his side than Burrow did but I've never said that Burrow didn't have talent. I'm also not gonna say that Tua was good because he had more talent around him. All I'm saying is I like them both and that there's no reason to like one and hate the other. Most of the time tho, you see people that like Burrow more say that they'd be happy with Tua as well. OTOH many people that love Tua seem to have a need to downplay anything Burrow has done. Most people that like burrow also like Tua but most people that like Tua seem to hate Burrow and imo that's just people trying to feed their own agenda.

I don't care who anyone likes better. At best we'll have one of them and I will root for whoever we draft but I can already see people here bashing one or the other for their whole career just to try to say "they were right" ......and I mean this for both sides. As far me, like I said before whoever is our QB I will root for him to do well for us. I don't care about being right or wrong, I just want us to win.

Would you care to wager on Bama being #1 or #2? What about Mac Jones performance last year gave you pause? He will have Leatherwood and a couple others on the line, a few pieces coming back on D including Surtain. Skill guys in Harris, Smith, Waddle.

Fortune Teller? Come on dude anyone with half a brain can see them or Clemson is going to be #1. Until this year Bama had been to the playoffs every year. Not much of a leap.
They may or may not be highly ranked but the fact that you keep using a strong supporting cast to discredit Tua is laughable. As if Burrow's ONLY good season didn't come when he had an absolutely absurd amount of talent around him.

Yea let's keep talking about Jeudy, Ruggs and Wills but continue to ignore Chase, Jefferson and the literal best OL in college football last season.

Last edited:
Wait, when did I say that that Tua having talent around him was a negative over the talent that Burrow had around him? They both had great talent around them. I believe Tua had more talented players on his side than Burrow did but I've never said that Burrow didn't have talent. I'm also not gonna say that Tua was good because he had more talent around him. All I'm saying is I like them both and that there's no reason to like one and hate the other. Most of the time tho, you see people that like Burrow more say that they'd be happy with Tua as well. OTOH many people that love Tua seem to have a need to downplay anything Burrow has done. Most people that like burrow also like Tua but most people that like Tua seem to hate Burrow and imo that's just people trying to feed their own agenda.

I don't care who anyone likes better. At best we'll have one of them and I will root for whoever we draft but I can already see people here bashing one or the other for their whole career just to try to say "they were right" ......and I mean this for both sides. As far me, like I said before whoever is our QB I will root for him to do well for us. I don't care about being right or wrong, I just want us to win.
Shoot sorry Danny i didnt mean to quote you. You know our views our pretty similar right now!!

It was a post for another poster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom