Tua Tagovailoa's draft stock following injury | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Tagovailoa's draft stock following injury

Some misleading info in the recent above...

Tua's injury was definitely more severe than Bo Jackson's.

Tua suffered a 100% dislocation + rim fracture (if not more

including femoral head). Bo was able to pop the joint back in

("reduction") on the field! Tua was unable to move!

As a result of the injury Bo NEVER PLAYED a down of football again

and subsequently suffered avascular necrosis (AVN) which

may not reveal itself for months or years after the injury...

Last edited:
You make good points. But what if Miami ends up around .500 in 2021 and misses out on one of those guys? I'd still look to draft a quarterback, maybe swing for the fences with Herbert who has a lot of traits to develop.

I‘d take my chances on that. But even if they did finish .500 they can still make something happen in a trade up. They’ve got their own 1st rounders they could offer for the next few seasons, along with additional picks they’ve acquired. They can further set themselves up by trading down in the upcoming draft with one of their top two 1st rounders.

Next years QB crop, if Tua returns to Bama, will be far superior. And there’s 3 of them. Not just one guy that would be next to impossible to wrestle away.

Seems like everyone's discounting it but I think Tua returns for his senor year to prove he's healthy like you say. :shrug:

Seems like everyone's discounting it but I think Tua returns for his senor year to prove he's healthy like you say. :shrug:

I actually think he doesn’t. I think another injury tanks his draft stock to the point where he might actually come off a few draft boards and that’s a hugely significant risk. He may not be the first pick anymore, but he’s likely still top 10 now and that might even afford him the chance to land with a team that isn’t a total dumpster fire. It makes the most sense to come out now.

I actually think he doesn’t. I think another injury tanks his draft stock to the point where he might actually come off a few draft boards and that’s a hugely significant risk. He may not be the first pick anymore, but he’s likely still top 10 now and that might even afford him the chance to land with a team that isn’t a total dumpster fire. It makes the most sense to come out now.

Good point Locke. As i said that's just my humble opinion

I get your stance but I think he will enter. If he goes back to bama he does not gain anything. I doubt he will want to play for bama again and take the beating for free. Plus next year has Lawrence who could threaten the chance to go first. It remains to be seen but I just don't see the gain form heading back to bama

"recovery" outcome is well beyond the draft envelop.

And we're takin' his ability to EVER compete as a PRO.

There's ZERO chance any team is going to invest an R1. I doubt an R2

UNLESS the news after the surgery is absolute best case scenario.

But the truth is -- he suffered a brutal injury -- worse than Bo Jackson -- and

love the kid or not it sucks at the highest order for him -- and let's be

compassionate -- for his fans!

It really blows on so many levels that this happened...

Thanks for the vids nasty, like your unbiased attitude on the subject. Hope the young man recovers of course but ultimately we have to do what’s best for the fins.

I don't know about you guys...but I have to admit that I keep vacillating wildly on whether I want him with our top 5 pick or don't want him at all. It's going to be a LONG time until draft day.

Crazy that such a bizarre offseason and regular season has been leading up to a draft where we will have to make a call on a player who may never play again. Tons of time and effort and money all coming down to the medical equivalent of a coin flip.

As a Dolphins fan, I shudder at the memory of Saban's Dolphins medical staff saying Brees was damaged goods and passing. Even if physically Tua checks out it still is a wildcard whether this will have any lasting psychological impact on him if/when he drops back to pass.

The one thing I do feel strongly about is it doesn't make sense to wait until 2021 with the assumption we can nab a QB then. Flores has this team playing hard and I imagine their record will improve with an influx of talent this offseason.

Tua had questions regarding his size in the NFL, part of those questions are about how well a smaller QB can withstand the rigors of NFL. He has a demonstrated history of injuries and now an injury that scares the crap out of anyone.

What makes anyone think he could complete an NFL season when so far he hasn't completed a college season without a significant injury. Even if he turns out to be special..... How long will that hip hold up?

Taking a flyer in the 2nd, 3rd round....well it would not kill a franchise.....

Tua had questions regarding his size in the NFL, part of those questions are about how well a smaller QB can withstand the rigors of NFL. He has a demonstrated history of injuries and now an injury that scares the crap out of anyone.

What makes anyone think he could complete an NFL season when so far he hasn't completed a college season without a significant injury. Even if he turns out to be special..... How long will that hip hold up?

Taking a flyer in the 2nd, 3rd round....well it would not kill a franchise.....

The commonality in the last two injuries is Tua's attempt to move from
the pocket while under pressure. In both situations Tua looks rather
"heavy footed," lacking quick-twitch (giddy-up) explosiveness.

Whatever way you categorize it, in my view the kid certainly isn't
fleet-footed. Given his stature and injury history, it's probably wise to
keep that in mind when you project Tua's game at the PRO level.
Pretty easy to see some potential negative ramifications IMO.

I don't know about you guys...but I have to admit that I keep vacillating wildly on whether I want him with our top 5 pick or don't want him at all. It's going to be a LONG time until draft day.

It's a bit different for me. As each day passes, I get more and more comfortable with using that top pick on him. For me it's a simple scenario, do you take a chance on the talent level or play it safe like we've done for years and draft another Tannehill or Henne ? If there is a year we can afford to take that chance it's this one with three first rounders. The only thing that would derail that thought process for me is if he has some major setback but we are unlikely to hear about that if he does.

I fail to see the alternative that gets us an potential elite level player at the most important position. I've yet to see those that criticise the folks that are still on the Tua train, other than to draft Chase Young and build the trenches, well is Chase going to be throwing the ball too ? I guess their alternative is to draft a mediocre talent like Jake Fromm who will get us to exactly where we've been for the last couple of decades. We need that elite level player to be relevant, the Brady's, Brees's, Rodgers's, Mahomes and Wilson's. Burrow or a development project in Herbert or Love are the only realistic alternatives to finding that type of guy in 2020, and we've go little chance of leapfrogging Cincy for Burrow, while the owner and probably the fan base also won't have the patience to wait to see if your QB coaching is good enough to polish Herbert or Love.

It's a bit different for me. As each day passes, I get more and more comfortable with using that top pick on him. For me it's a simple scenario, do you take a chance on the talent level or play it safe like we've done for years and draft another Tannehill or Henne ? If there is a year we can afford to take that chance it's this one with three first rounders. The only thing that would derail that thought process for me is if he has some major setback but we are unlikely to hear about that if he does.

I fail to see the alternative that gets us an potential elite level player at the most important position. I've yet to see those that criticise the folks that are still on the Tua train, other than to draft Chase Young and build the trenches, well is Chase going to be throwing the ball too ? I guess their alternative is to draft a mediocre talent like Jake Fromm who will get us to exactly where we've been for the last couple of decades. We need that elite level player to be relevant, the Brady's, Brees's, Rodgers's, Mahomes and Wilson's. Burrow or a development project in Herbert or Love are the only realistic alternatives to finding that type of guy in 2020, and we've go little chance of leapfrogging Cincy for Burrow, while the owner and probably the fan base also won't have the patience to wait to see if your QB coaching is good enough to polish Herbert or Love.

You bring up a good point regarding the patience with Herbert and Love. It seems to be a general consensus that Herbert would benefit from a year of sitting behind an established starter...so it's something that has to be taken into account that BOTH Tua and Herbert would likely sit until 2021.

I find it a little funny that we need the elite level QB like the bolded guys yet only 2 of those guys where drafted in the first round and none in the top 10. Now I don't claim to know who to draft but to act like if we don't draft Tau we are missing out on our only chance at an elite QB is false.

As far as Tau I don't know if I would take him with our first. Tau is a very good prospect that is for sure but even before the injury he was not a sure fire Luck type prospect. There were injury concerns even before the hip injury. Maye if the reports come out positive on his hip you take him with the Pitt pick if he us there and I think he will be.

Back
Top Bottom