Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis

Yes there were times last year when I thought arm strength issues flashed..but it looks different this year, and I keep thinking that plant leg was weak last year.

I know it isn’t a howitzer he’s packing but I’m good with such a catchable ball, hi level anticipation and placement..

This year the offense is completely different, it's hard to judge his arm strength with all these short throws. Pennington,Bridgewater and Sam Bradford all throw a catchable ball with hi level anticipation and placement, but there's certain plays you just can't call for them.

Kyler and Russell are in a league of their own in that Dept, but Tua is very good as well, good enough, jmo..

His ceiling for producing off script plays won't be as high as Josh Allen's or Baker's due to arm strength.

Here's accuracy issues while throwing on the run.

47:09, 9:04

I'd feel better about Tua Tagovailoa if he had a better arm. But he could enjoy success at the absolute highest level, being included among the best ever, and his arm strength and overall velocity would not be unprecedented for that. There's nothing disqualifying about his arm.

I think it's actually similar to Easton Stick's from a year ago. Both players can get up to the pro level velocity, but they've got to grind their toes, lock and get out over that front leg in order to hit the pro caliber fast ball. Other guys just don't have to go through that much trouble in order to drive the ball that fast. Mason Fine is a little bit like this as well. Keep him in the pocket, let him grind his toes, and he generates pro velocity at mid-range.

But for all of the above, I think the more negative factors you add to the throw, whether it's pressure coming at the guy's feet so he can't quite follow through the way he'd like, throwing on the move, or just pure distance, you've got a steeper decline in velocity.

There are clearly going to be throws in Justin Herbert's and Jordan Love's wheelhouse that are not there for Tua Tagovailoa. Or Josh Allen's for that matter. I'm comfortable with that.

What I get slightly less comfortable with is this throw...

Jordan Love can flick that ball off 90+ feet through the air without his feet under him, not even a good body angle and that ball cruises in there at 54-56 mph. Hardly looked like he was even trying. It's really an incredible thing. And I don't need a Tua Tagovailoa to be able to do it as outstandingly as that.

But is that 90-91 foot throw at a dead run in his wheelhouse at all? Setting aside the ridonkulous velocity Jordan Love can get on it, is this a throw Tua Tagovailoa would try and execute? Because I feel like we're reaching the borderline of something that needs to be in a young quarterback's toolkit in order to survive his early years in the NFL.

If Trubisky threw at 51 mph and Luke Falk 52, I'd say he's in the 51 to 54 range. I hope he reads 6'1.

This year the offense is completely different, it's hard to judge his arm strength with all these short throws. Pennington,Bridgewater and Sam Bradford all throw a catchable ball with hi level anticipation and placement, but there's certain plays you just can't call for them.

We talking chad Pennington fresh out of college or the broken wing dolphins version?

I think he’s got more arm than that. I think the Deshaun Watson arm seems comparable which you referenced prior

We talking chad Pennington fresh out of college or the broken wing dolphins version?

I think he’s got more arm than that. I think the Deshaun Watson arm seems comparable which you referenced prior

I agree, he looks like he's in the Watson,Mariota, Lamar J range.

Arm strength 15:35 17:24 18:07

I think you are reading too much into it. Look at the throw just prior to the 1724 one. That’s a hell of a throw.

I don’t see any reason with mechanics and core strength he can’t make arm strength strides at the pro level. Nor do I think he limits you in any way arm wise in a west coast style system. Or a rpo based one. Which I’m sure he’s gonna play a lot out of it as a pro.

One of the reasons chad Pennington for example lasted as long as he did despite his arm limitations is that his anticipation and placement were so high level. Without it guys would have been jumping his arm all over the place. I don’t think tuas arm is that limited. But I do think he has elite level placement and anticipation and processes information at a level no one else in college and maybe few in the pro game even can match. I think the combo of those things make him special.

West coast and rpo system I don’t need you throwing 65 yard ropes down the field.

I was trying to say that touch and ball placement can only take you so far when you lack arm strength by mentioning those qb's.

I agree, he looks like he's in the Watson,Mariota, Lamar J range.

Difference being none of those kids even come remotely close to processing info at the level this kid does nor do they have that level consistent placement. Heck I’d also say none of them have that level anticipation.

It’s just another level way I see it

I think you are reading too much into it. Look at the throw just prior to the 1724 one. That’s a hell of a throw.

I don’t see any reason with mechanics and core strength he can’t make arm strength strides at the pro level. Nor do I think he limits you in any way arm wise in a west coast style system. Or a rpo based one. Which I’m sure he’s gonna play a lot out of it as a pro.

One of the reasons chad Pennington for example lasted as long as he did despite his arm limitations is that his anticipation and placement were so high level. Without it guys would have been jumping his arm all over the place. I don’t think tuas arm is that limited. But I do think he has elite level placement and anticipation and processes information at a level no one else in college and maybe few in the pro game even can match. I think the combo of those things make him special.

We're talking about the no.1 so I will be more critical in trying to find flaws that might not translate well, I have seen some easy throws that he whiffed in 2018.

We're talking about the no.1 so I will be more critical in trying to find flaws that might not translate well, I have seen some easy throws that he whiffed in 2018.

I get that. Critical should be part of the eval. I think at least one of those throws maybe it was the second one he was trying to throw it low because of the coverage.

But I don’t see enougj body of work to red flag that arm by any means. Not with the combo of other things that offset and the style o he’s id be shocked to play in anything else with.

If Trubisky threw at 51 mph and Luke Falk 52, I'd say he's in the 51 to 54 range. I hope he reads 6'1.

Luke falk throws with more velocity than trubisky? Really? I’m struggling with that one after seeing how long that ball was in the air to the perimeter of the field on wr stuff at the los Thursday etc.

Difference being none of those kids even come remotely close to processing info at the level this kid does nor do they have that level consistent placement. Heck I’d also say none of them have that level anticipation.

It’s just another level way I see it

His placement is good but not the best I've seen especially when pressured, He missed a wide open Jeudy down the seam in 1st quarter on the SC game ,the ball hit the turf and was slightly behind him.

Luke falk throws with more velocity than trubisky? Really? I’m struggling with that one after seeing how long that ball was in the air to the perimeter of the field on wr stuff at the los Thursday etc.

I will say the readings on those never matches my eyes a lot also.

I get that. Critical should be part of the eval. I think at least one of those throws maybe it was the second one he was trying to throw it low because of the coverage.

But I don’t see enougj body of work to red flag that arm by any means. Not with the combo of other things that offset and the style o he’s id be shocked to play in anything else with.

I found it 40:22, only slightly rushed but missed badly to a wide open Jeudy.

Back
Top Bottom