Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua vs Trevor - The Truth: Analysis

I do enjoy finding any flaws in special prospects, I’m just not sure if picking the 20 percent of the throws he’s not completing is indicting in the overall grade...Unless we’re seeing the same mistake over and over, is there a randomness to these or are you seeing something consistent Jerry?

Listening to the game today, the analyst is just gushing over watching Tua in practice, talking about touch trajectory and footwork! calling it phenomenal..spectacular..

It is exciting to hear these things about a player we have a real chance at, and fun to find flaws in a special player.

If we select Tua do we think we redesign the offense to west coast with some zone read concepts?

Or is this Earnhardt\Perkins patriots system similar enough where it doesn’t matter?

Tua and his weapons are gonna have an early day, he’s got four tds midway 2nd quarter, about 90 percent %.

The unbelievable catchable ball he throws dictates that super high completion percentage..

It’s a really good qb class..once we grab Tua qbs are gonna come off the board..only helps us get better surrounding players.

I do enjoy finding any flaws in special prospects, I’m just not sure if picking the 20 percent of the throws he’s not completing is indicting in the overall grade...Unless we’re seeing the same mistake over and over, is there a randomness to these or are you seeing something consistent Jerry?

Listening to the game today, the analyst is just gushing over watching Tua in practice, talking about touch trajectory and footwork! calling it phenomenal..spectacular..

It is exciting to hear these things about a player we have a real chance at, and fun to find flaws in a special player.

I think the main thing is not being blinded about the differences between the pro's and the college game, understanding the Tide has the fastest and most talented group of wr's in college football, playing weak teams, Tua just doesn't look as good against teams with speed, finding out why a player misses on certain throws is key to understanding how a player will translate to pros. I think I've shown those arm strength, and throwing mechanic issues, I don't remember any " look see he missed a throw" types of breakdown so I don't see how someone could come away with thinking those are just random events unless they have some underlying bias.

I understand all human have biases and being a Dolphin fan without a legit franchise Qb for almost 20 years and having a real chance at the no.1 pick we all want Tua to desperately be the guy, but there's too much riding on this no.1 pick, there's just too much lazy takes on this guy.

I think the main thing is not being blinded about the differences between the pro's and the college game, understanding the Tide has the fastest and most talented group of wr's in college football, playing weak teams, Tua just doesn't look as good against teams with speed, finding out why a player misses on certain throws is key to understanding how a player will translate to pros. I think I've shown those arm strength, and throwing mechanic issues, I don't remember any " look see he missed a throw" types of breakdown so I don't see how someone could come away with thinking those are just random events unless they have some underlying bias.
Understood, we really don’t have a large sample size against those types of teams when he’s been healthy, so there is a good bit of projection here..

The trait that I’m looking at as we go through this year long evaluation is how he comes off the first read..sometimes he wants to stay on it to long..

Understood, we really don’t have a large sample size against those types of teams when he’s been healthy, so there is a good bit of projection here..

The trait that I’m looking at as we go through this year long evaluation is how he comes off the first read..sometimes he wants to stay on it to long..

I'd say he's excellent at that, by far the best out of any the prospects at least.

I'll take the QB with elite accuracy, anticipation, processing skills, and a weak arm over the guy with a cannon any day of the week and twice on Sunday. He arm isn't so weak that it is a deal breaker and it is easier to improve arm strength than those other "intangibles". At the end of the day I'd say we are going to draft a QB in 2020 and if Tua is there it isn't even a contest as to who we should pick.

Slim asked about how you would defend against Tua. I'd say you have to use his intelligence and processing skills against him. You have bait and switch him. For example, show him something pre-snap that makes him think he wants to throw right. Then post snap, but only after he is looking the other way (to look off safety/fool defense) sneak a blitz in on his right side and change coverage with some type of disguise rolled in. Something he might not have time to recognize with a blitzer in his face. That is going to take a great defensive game plan along with very good team talent. Almost like too much work for most teams. That Clemson tape on the first page showed some of it.

Tua is smart enough to take the quick option that nets positive yards. A lot of plays are under 2 seconds and I'm not talking only WR screens. He also shows the patience to buy time and throw deep when it is warranted. Clearly he isn't afraid to tuck the ball and run it if need be. He has a winner mentality.

If the only things we can find to knock about him are arm strength and somewhat awkward body mechanics I'll take him considering his other traits are off the chart good for someone so young. Those other traits are what separates the okay from the elite QB's and tend to be something that can't be taught. The problems he has don't hamper his game and are quite correctable. Heck he might even grow a couple of inches:)

What I have no idea about are his leadership skills. That and I did find the video with his father concerning.

I'll take the QB with elite accuracy, anticipation, processing skills, and a weak arm over the guy with a cannon any day of the week and twice on Sunday. He arm isn't so weak that it is a deal breaker and it is easier to improve arm strength than those other "intangibles". At the end of the day I'd say we are going to draft a QB in 2020 and if Tua is there it isn't even a contest as to who we should pick.

Slim asked about how you would defend against Tua. I'd say you have to use his intelligence and processing skills against him. You have bait and switch him. For example, show him something pre-snap that makes him think he wants to throw right. Then post snap, but only after he is looking the other way (to look off safety/fool defense) sneak a blitz in on his right side and change coverage with some type of disguise rolled in. Something he might not have time to recognize with a blitzer in his face. That is going to take a great defensive game plan along with very good team talent. Almost like too much work for most teams. That Clemson tape on the first page showed some of it.

Tua is smart enough to take the quick option that nets positive yards. A lot of plays are under 2 seconds and I'm not talking only WR screens. He also shows the patience to buy time and throw deep when it is warranted. Clearly he isn't afraid to tuck the ball and run it if need be. He has a winner mentality.

If the only things we can find to knock about him are arm strength and somewhat awkward body mechanics I'll take him considering his other traits are off the chart good for someone so young. Those other traits are what separates the okay from the elite QB's and tend to be something that can't be taught. The problems he has don't hamper his game and are quite correctable. Heck he might even grow a couple of inches:)

What I have no idea about are his leadership skills. That and I did find the video with his father concerning.

Brady,Rodgers,Big Ben,Baker,Wilson and Mahomes have very good arm strength and the only elite Qbs that I can compare him to as far as arm strength is Rivers and Brees. I think you might be downplaying the importance of arm strength, playing against NFL quality dbs with speed and playing on a short field can expose an average arm real quick, I'm sure a lot of Arizona fans were saying " Matt Leinart's arm didn't look this weak in college"

Leadership wise I don't like how he tried to discredit Clemson after getting stomped by them, he came of salty and emotional.

Brady,Rodgers,Big Ben,Baker,Wilson and Mahomes have very good arm strength and the only elite Qbs that I can compare him to as far as arm strength is Rivers and Brees. I think you might be downplaying the importance of arm strength, playing against NFL quality dbs with speed and playing on a short field can expose an average arm real quick, I'm sure a lot of Arizona fans were saying " Matt Leinart's arm didn't look this weak in college"

Leadership wise I don't like how he tried to discredit Clemson after getting stomped by them, he came of salty and emotional.

Well, he didn’t discredit Clemson. But every player and coach in Bama’s locker room know they played their worst game since the Stephen Garcia game in 2010. It happens.

I just hope he doesn’t get picked by Miami. I’d love nothing more than seeing some of you get stuck with another 7 years of Herberthill.

Well, he didn’t discredit Clemson. But every player and coach in Bama’s locker room know they played their worst game since the Stephen Garcia game in 2010. It happens.

I just hope he doesn’t get picked by Miami. I’d love nothing more than seeing some of you get stuck with another 7 years of Herberthill.

I'm not sure but didn't he say " They didn't do anything special"

That would be so Dolphin like passing on Tua for Herberthill lol, We will see how Tua plays vs LSU Nov 9 a team with speed and that wr group might be the 2nd best in the nation after Alabama.

I'm not sure but didn't he say " They didn't do anything special"

That would be so Dolphin like passing on Tua for Herberthill lol, We will see how Tua plays vs LSU Nov 9 a team with speed and that wr group might be the 2nd best in the nation after Alabama.

They didn’t do anything special. It was more about what Bama did than what Clemson did that led to the results.

Anybody that doesn’t believe that can take all my money if they meet again. Anybody that honestly believes Clemson is 28 points better than Alabama has a big money bet. Just give me Alabama and 28 points.

LSU’s offense looks like it belongs in the Big-12 now - unfortunately so does their defense.

They didn’t do anything special. It was more about what Bama did than what Clemson did that led to the results.

Anybody that doesn’t believe that can take all my money if they meet again. Anybody that honestly believes Clemson is 28 points better than Alabama has a big money bet. Just give me Alabama and 28 points.

LSU’s offense looks like it belongs in the Big-12 - unfortunately so does their defense.

Yea there's no way Clemson is better than Bama by 28, If Tua doesn't throw those picks ya might of won, ya had 4 wrs with potential to go day 1 plus Irv Smith, but only putting up 16 is a bad look.

LSU defense has speed unlike the Big 12.

Back
Top Bottom