Tua's closest statistacal comparison from 2021 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua's closest statistacal comparison from 2021

And to answer the question of when it’s too soon to compare quarterbacks based on W/L, you’re missing the point. A quarterback’s job is to win. If you can win by pounding the football and running clock and throwing 15 passes, great. It’s not a knock on the quarterback if the team can win like that. Over time, that’s not a sustainable way to win—but if a QB is winning 65% of his starts that way in the short term, great.

Conversely, if you are constantly playing from behind and your QB is throwing for 300 yards and losing every game, it doesn’t really mean your QB is all that great. Maybe his stats look good, sure, but apparently he’s being outgunned by the other QB on a regular basis. Defenses really don’t care if you throw for 300 yards if you also lose by 2 touchdowns.

Why bc we had a better record?

Mills couldn't have won those games with our defense?

He posted the same stats as Tua with a worse WR core.

I bet we would have the exact same record with Mills as we had with Tua.

I'm not saying Mills is better than Tua, just saying they are on the same level at this point..... oh and Mills is a Rookie
We would have reached the playoffs with Mills. He did more with less

How did my tua worship thread get merged in with this crap? This is blasphemous. All hail king of the skip pass tua!
Naw... your thread fits my narrative. Its welcome in here.

Its the point i was trying to make.

We have 3 groups of fans.

1)Tua/Alabama fans who don't care about this team outside of Tua. Their unreasonable and defensive to a fault.

2)Tua Haters (actually a very small group)

3) Actual Dolphins fans that just want to win (most of us) - who are called Tua haters by group 1 for saying anything remotely critical of the guy.

Its a pretty toxic situation.

We would have reached the playoffs with Mills. He did more with less
At the very least he would have stayed on the field more, and would have prevented Brissett.

Mills was the #1 QB in the 2017 recruiting class, ahead of Tua.

Half this board uses The Dolphins’ record after less than 30 games with Tua as the starter as a defense against Herbert being superior so far.

I absolutely agree 50 is too small a sample size, as is 30. Go down to few enough games and are all 1-0 QBs are automatically better than 0-1?

Team W/L record for a QB as a starter is a good supplemental stat, not the primary one, IMO.
I agree with this... Thing is, neither of these 2 teams realize that it takes more than a good rookie QB to get to the next level of teams... Saying the Chargers made the right move and the Fins didnt is kind of irrelevant at this point... Both teams are sitting out of the playoffs. One of them decided defense was the end all be all and the other decided defense was an after thought...

You can get away with going overkill on offense in this NFL, but very few teams get away with having the offense being an after thought... I couldnt think of one off the top of my head right now. But one thing is for certain, at the very least, the Chargers know what they have at QB when surrounded well, the Fins dont.

Team success is measured by wins. Individual success is measured by stats.
That’s what I’ve been saying. Chris Chandler and Tom Brady were the same QBs in 2001. Brady is just lucky he played for the Patriots. Chandler would be getting inducted into the Hall if he’d had the good fortune to play for the Pats.

Mills has the talent to be a top 5 NFL QB. He may be a perfect example to you know maybe wait for a few years and let Tua have a real O and a OL.

If Mills had picked a Bama type school kid would have probably been top 5 pick. Go watch him at Stanford their O looks a lot like Mia. Crap O system, crappy OL. Have to run max protection schemes just to give the QB 2 seconds to throw into double coverage.

I know I shouldn't have made this post because this was nothing more then a troll thread from the get go. But another classic example of thinking Football is a fantasy really just a fantasy sport.

And to answer the question of when it’s too soon to compare quarterbacks based on W/L, you’re missing the point. A quarterback’s job is to win. If you can win by pounding the football and running clock and throwing 15 passes, great. It’s not a knock on the quarterback if the team can win like that. Over time, that’s not a sustainable way to win—but if a QB is winning 65% of his starts that way in the short term, great.

Conversely, if you are constantly playing from behind and your QB is throwing for 300 yards and losing every game, it doesn’t really mean your QB is all that great. Maybe his stats look good, sure, but apparently he’s being outgunned by the other QB on a regular basis. Defenses really don’t care if you throw for 300 yards if you also lose by 2 touchdowns.
It’s every player on the teams job to win. It’s not a knock on the QB if they win pounding the ball and throwing short passes, but just because the team is winning more that does not mean the individual QB is playing his individual position better.

I don’t think there’s any arguing that a QB can play better in a losing effort than another QB can in a winning one.

I agree with this... Thing is, neither of these 2 teams realize that it takes more than a good rookie QB to get to the next level of teams... Saying the Chargers made the right move and the Fins didnt is kind of irrelevant at this point... Both teams are sitting out of the playoffs. One of them decided defense was the end all be all and the other decided defense was an after thought...

You can get away with going overkill on offense in this NFL, but very few teams get away with having the offense being an after thought... I couldnt think of one off the top of my head right now. But one thing is for certain, at the very least, the Chargers know what they have at QB when surrounded well, the Fins dont.
Very well put.

Mills actually has some tools. So when you are patient, you are actually developing something and there's a payoff. Guys without a toolset you shouldn't be patient with:

At the Stanford Pro Day this spring, Mills put on a show, impressing the NFL personnel in attendance. He ran a 4.58 40-yard dash, showcasing good athleticism. Then came the throwing session: On a 50-degree day, through wind and rain, he completed 50 of 54 pass attempts in his throwing session.

“He crushed it from the testing numbers that we got, and I thought it was a clean, really pure throwing session that he put on in the rain. The day could not have gone any better for Davis Mills,” NFL Network draft expert Daniel Jeremiah said.

Mills’ former teammates and coaches alike will rave about his arm talent and his leadership. Shaw and former Stanford receiver Simi Fehoko both have told tales of Mills being able to throw more than 70 yards with ease, with Shaw going so far as to say that Mills will be “in the upper 20 percent of arm strength” in the league when he gets to the NFL.

I realize this thread was made to disparage Tua, while giving Mills backhanded compliments, but Mills was very good as a rookie and the Texans would be wise to see what they have there.

It’s every player on the teams job to win. It’s not a knock on the QB if they win pounding the ball and throwing short passes, but just because the team is winning more that does not mean the individual QB is playing his individual position better.

I don’t think there’s any arguing that a QB can play better in a losing effort than another QB can in a winning one.
Of course. But it’s about context. If you are a defensive-minded team and you are winning, you are not airing the ball out. You are not asking your QB to compile stats. You’re asking him to protect the ball and move the chains and milk the clock. This is why the Dolphins frequently scored early—on their first possession—then went into a shell offensively. That generally worked with Tua under center. We went 7-4 in games he started and finished, plus the Ravens game he came in and won and the Bills game he was knocked out of and lost.

On the flip side, if you are constantly playing from behind, your QB is going to rack up plenty of stats. You’ll throw a ton and you’ll gain yards and you’ll probably even score more. But ultimately you’ll lose because you’re playing from behind. The stats are mostly empty. Your QB’s stats are academic—they didn’t actually help you win.

So comparing stats of a QB who’s losing most of his games vs. stats of a QB who’s winning most of his games is worthless. Mills’s stats are irrelevant. He had a winning percentage in the teens.

Herbert is a more interesting comparison. He’s 15-17 as a starter. If he were as great as his early stats suggest, you’d expect him to win a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom