Tua's closest statistacal comparison from 2021 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua's closest statistacal comparison from 2021

Tom Brady’s closest statistical comparison from 2001

Both players started 14 games

Chris Chandler: 2847 passing yards, 7.8 yards per attempt, 16 TDs, 14 INTs, passer rating 84.1

Tom Brady: 2843 passing yards, 6.9 yards per attempt, 18 TDs, 12 INTs, passer rating 86.5

Don’t get caught up in the team stats. Of course Tom Brady went 11-3 and won the Super Bowl while Chris Chandler went 6-8. But Tom Brady and Chris Chandler, very similar quality quarterbacks in 2001.

Actually, they were.

Actually, they were.
If you believe this, I will grant that at least you are intellectually consistent. Most criticizing Tua aren’t. But obviously I vehemently disagree with you. In my opinion, Tom Brady was a much, much better QB than Chandler in 2001.

If you believe this, I will grant that at least you are intellectually consistent. Most criticizing Tua aren’t. But obviously I vehemently disagree with you. In my opinion, Tom Brady was a much, much better QB than Chandler in 2001.

Obviously afterwards he became a much much much better QB than Chandler.

I consider winning a team effort though that QB play is only a part of. So while we disagree id say at least at the surface level they were similar in 2001.

Now, if you told me Brady started very poorly but his numbers got better as the year went on, I'd say in that case he finished the season a better QB quite possibly.

Not saying there can't be certain details that change the opinion, but we will only using base level numbers here.

i thought the point was similar stats?
No... Your point was, and I quote: "They are literally the same QB."... Then you picked the similar stats to validate your point.

Both players played in 13 games

Tua - 16tds -10ints - 2,653 yards - 67.8 comp% - 6.8 YPP

David Mills - 16tds - 10ints - 2,664 yards - 66.8 comp % - 6.8 YPP
Many in this thread have made commentary about this and that, but the thread title was just comparing the stats. And yeah, freakishly similar.

I've got no final opinion on either QB at this time.

No... Your point was, and I quote: "They are literally the same QB."... Then you picked the similar stats to validate your point.
99 of 100 is literally good enough for me.

and yeah on target doesnt mean as much with either of them and their intended air yards ranking 26th and 29th.

they're both trash

I’ve seen a lot of positivity around Mills some even saying he’s the best in the rookie class, they are the same age as well

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Miami's receiving room is significantly better than Houstons.

I didn't see Davis Mills play this year, but he was an interesting player coming out of college.

Really don't know what he had to work with compared to Tua either. That has to be factored in.
I agree. Mills was a better pro prospect than Daniel Jones, who was somehow picked 6th a couple of years earlier. At least Mills was projected to be a star at one point. He went to Stanford when David Shaw was at peak and loading up on top rated offensive line recruits.

I really don't know what happened at Stanford. I was shocked that Mills was behind Costello for so long. The entire Stanford program fell so far off that apparently some of their players were better than they looked during that stretch. Paulson Adebo is another example. He was rated first round then looked terrible in 2019. Now he's playing back toward where he was rated at one point.

Davis Mills likely was under drafted for the same reason. At Stanford I thought he had excellent downfield pace and loft but tended to throw harsh line drives on midrange throws, failing to adjust mph when needed on those plays. But I detest Jack Easterby to such extent I didn't watch the Texans at all in 2021, other than partially paying attention to the Dolphins game.

QB wins is not a stat 😂
Google “QB stats” and tell me what you see about W/L. You won’t see anything.

W/L is a stat, it’s just not a QB one. Just like it’s not a RB one or a WR one.

Wins have to mean something. I don't know how anyone can say they don't. Some won't be flashy but find a way to win, and others can throw for a million yards and tds and still lose.
Yeah, and sometimes a QB can play lights out and lose and other QBs can throw 3 INTs and the team still wins Due to the running game or the defense. That’s the whole point, it’s not as black and white as the teams’ W/L record painting the whole picture Of a QBs performance. A team can win in spite of their QB just like they can win in spite of their defense.

Influenced? Every single one. Because he’s the quarterback. Tua has influenced every single one of his wins (and losses), too. For the record, not losing a game for your team is something a lot of quarterbacks struggle to do. It’s not easy to go 60 minutes playing the most important position on the field without doing something devastatingly bad. As a Dolphins fan, you should understand this implicitly.

If you want to say Tua isn’t going to continue to QB his team to victories because he’s not very good and his current record is fluky, fine. Reasonable position—even if I think it’s wrong. But acting like yards per attempt is more important than a QB’s W-L record? Super bizarre. Nobody playing the Texans was worried about Davis Mills’s stats. If he wants to throw 25 times for 250 yards and lose by two touchdowns, everyone’s on board with that. Tua was playing from in front. It’s a lot different than playing with reckless abandon in losses. If you don’t believe me, Tua averaged just about 260 yards passing on 62% completion in our losses. Those are Josh Allen numbers. Is your perception that Tua played better or worse in our losses?
What I was trying to say is Brady actually carried his team to victory many many many times. I didn’t see Tua do that once this year.

Back
Top Bottom