Tua's development | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua's development

Personally I was more of a Herbert than Tua guy before the draft last year pretty much because of his hip injury, his small stature and arm relative to Herbert and that just Alabama suspicion many have that sometimes their guys are overrated due to dominant talent levels across the field. However, doesn't really matter now.

Isn't Tua supposed to be a young Brees? Does anyone recall what Brees looked like his first couple of years in San Diego? Ok but even his own team wasn't worried about keeping him and made moves to replace him with Rivers. I certainly didn't see greatness with Brees early.

We know Tua had some struggles last year but as many have pointed out, the hip injury return, covid lack of prep and our very limited receiving weapons all played a role as well. How big exactly I'm not sure but what I did like about Tua is he had a quick release, seemed to know where he wanted to go with the ball quickly (even if he didn't fully have the playbook down and if he checked down to much), he protected the ball well most of the time, and he had some good 4th quarter moments, particularly Arizona but NE down here as well.

Not many rookies QB's come in with a big splash anyway, most take time to develop. We had Fitz last year as well so we didn't even turn to Tua fully yet then.

This year will obviously be telling given the huge investments being made along the line and at the WR position (TE too) but I like his chances a lot, I don't get the massive pessimism unless it is just that childish human trait of just saying everything sucks but really hoping you are wrong because deep down you love the team so much. Obviously the thought of potentially missing a future all pro and drafting a bust from the #5 spot last year is pretty debilitating for the franchise but at this point in time that is extreme overreaction. Let's watch the kid develop, big strides coming this year!

Personally I was more of a Herbert than Tua guy before the draft last year pretty much because of his hip injury, his small stature and arm relative to Herbert and that just Alabama suspicion many have that sometimes their guys are overrated due to dominant talent levels across the field. However, doesn't really matter now.

Isn't Tua supposed to be a young Brees? Does anyone recall what Brees looked like his first couple of years in San Diego? Ok but even his own team wasn't worried about keeping him and made moves to replace him with Rivers. I certainly didn't see greatness with Brees early.

We know Tua had some struggles last year but as many have pointed out, the hip injury return, covid lack of prep and our very limited receiving weapons all played a role as well. How big exactly I'm not sure but what I did like about Tua is he had a quick release, seemed to know where he wanted to go with the ball quickly (even if he didn't fully have the playbook down and if he checked down to much), he protected the ball well most of the time, and he had some good 4th quarter moments, particularly Arizona but NE down here as well.

Not many rookies QB's come in with a big splash anyway, most take time to develop. We had Fitz last year as well so we didn't even turn to Tua fully yet then.

This year will obviously be telling given the huge investments being made along the line and at the WR position (TE too) but I like his chances a lot, I don't get the massive pessimism unless it is just that childish human trait of just saying everything sucks but really hoping you are wrong because deep down you love the team so much. Obviously the thought of potentially missing a future all pro and drafting a bust from the #5 spot last year is pretty debilitating for the franchise but at this point in time that is extreme overreaction. Let's watch the kid develop, big strides coming this year!
I did see Brees' greatness early. But it was not based on stats or wins. I saw a guy who was very accurate and processed and got the ball out quickly. I had arguments with people on another board who were basically saying the same things as the Tua detractors are now. They called him a midget QB, said he lacked arm strength, hadn't won enough games, playoffs, etc., and that he had been dumped by his team for Rivers. Those criticism's are based on poor evaluation criteria. Far and away the most important traits for an NFL QB are accuracy and getting the ball out quickly to the right guy. Everything else that people focus on is far, far less important. If a QB can accurately get the ball out quickly to the right guy, his odds of success are pretty good. He still has to be in the right situation, but he won't be the problem. Obviously, Tua may or may not succeed, but it is obvious that he already gets the ball out quickly and accurately. In fact, he does those two things at an elite level. He does not yet target the right guy at an elite level, but any reasonable person would recognize that he was in a new offense that was not geared to his strengths and had arguably the worst WR group in the league for much of the time. I agree that I don't see a reasonable reason for the pessimism, beyond poor evaluation ability. I expect that the people criticizing Tua now will end up looking as dumb in the long run as the people who were critical of Brees before he became a future HOF QB.

How’s your boy Drew Lock doing? 😂

Ps. Tom Brady didn’t start in his rookie season he sat his whole rookie season behind Drew Bledsoe and started his second year after Bledsoe got injured.
Montana didn’t really play his rookie season either, he was DeBergs backup that whole year.
First of all….Drew Lock was never “my boy”, We had a team needing to take a shot at a QB and I saw him as worth a flyer outside the top ten.

Number 2…..please read….It was clearly stated “first season starting full time”….not “rookie season”. So you missed………

I'm curious to see how Herbert does this year with having to learn a completely new system.

Tua and Godsey need to show progress this season; I still think Ken Dorsey was the guy to hire.

Yes…the most important position in professional sports, hardly a good argument comparing a kicker to a QB….but you already knew that!
yet they both won the Super Bowl that year.
dolphinron24 said Brady didn't have a great year and you came back with a team stat.
Again, anything relevant to just the quarterback position?

Yes…the most important position in professional sports, hardly a good argument comparing a kicker to a QB….but you already knew that!
The irony is just saying 'he won a superbowl', is equally as bad, but here you are calling other people's arguments ignorant lol.

yet they both won the Super Bowl that year.
dolphinron24 said Brady didn't have a great year and you came back with a team stat.
Again, anything relevant to just the quarterback position?
Yes, he played well enough to accomplish the ultimate goal….pre-pro passing rules changes.

Some of you forget in the modern era that football wasn’t always a wide open freeway for offenses…Marino was a different cat!

And again…Brady would prove that not only was he a winner his first year of starting…but would go on to prove his greatness!

Last edited:
Wanting the best QB to put the team in a position to not only win games but potentially playoffs and beyond should never be slated. We are all fans. We shouldnt get salty on posters when they downplay players based on personal opinion if it doesn't match up to other posters beit a minority or majority opinion or trend. Showing a passion for wanting our team to progress isn't a crime last time I looked.
My personal "passion" dissipates with a sexual predator under center. And I'm sure I'm not speaking for only myself.

Back
Top Bottom