Tua's development | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua's development

You make up a random benchmark he needed to achieve is just as bad. He had an average rookie year all things considered. Deal with it.
That's true, and it's fine to use stats as a measurement.

If that's the measure though, it is also statistically true that the average rookie QB nevers reaches the consistent top 10 level, by a pretty large margin.

The statement that "he had an average rookie season" does not really mean anything.

If you then start pulling outliers out of the hat to show it is possible, for every Aikman you point to, I can list 4 Andre Wares. You are argueing against your own statistical analysis.

No…I think most Dolphin fans want a winner and are rooting for Tua to have the lightbulb go on and display better arm strength than we witnessed.

If he plays well…I’ll be praising him.

This is a Dolphin forum…not a pep squad.

We’ve always discussed our opinions and differences on this forum and it’s why we come. We didn’t use to have this gestapo type insistence on agreement and the use of terms like “haters” to describe those who see a situation differently than you!
Well said Blue. It is beyond my reasoning that why would anyone think a dolphins fan would be happy to see Tua fail. My wish for Watson is well known here. However I will be jumping up and down, wearing his jersey, if he is our QB and doing well. I really don't understand how they would came to their impression of us.

I rewatched Marino's first start against Buffalo the other day. I was struck by how poorly he played. If you watch the highlights or read the titles of the Youtube clips you'd think he was incredible from the start. But watching the whole game that was hardly the case. His first pass was intercepted. He missed several passes throughout the game. He was credited with two interceptions on the day, but also had a third pass that he airmailed right into the safety's chest that was dropped. He was booed loudly after that second interception (the game was in Miami).

He was on a really good team that coming off of a SB appearance and they were playing at home against a team they owned, but it was a struggle. That OL was pretty good. He had good protection most of the time and the run game provided some nice support. But he still was sacked a couple times for just holding the ball too long. He fumbled a couple of snaps that Miami luckily recovered. He must have had 50-60 yards at the end of that first half. Miami's defense and STs coverage were good too. I think they got two TOs to help out. The saving grace was that Duper was uncoverable in the second half. He was getting open by 5-7 yards so that provided some easy completions. One was about an 85 yard TD that people would now call "Alabama open". Marino did have two other short TDs after some questionable penalties that put the ball on the 1 yard line.

In the end, I would say Marino was very shaky, but also showed flashes. The Dolphins lost, but the flashy stats protected him from much of the blame and Von Shamann was terrible so he took the brunt.

How long did it take for you to see Brady's great arm or Montana's?
Some people think that arm strength is an important trait. IMO it's way, way down the list. Once a QB has sufficient arm strength then it's almost a non-factor. Brady and Montana were great b/c they had great accuracy and fast processing. Those are traits that really matter, but poor evaluators fall in love with arm strength.

How long did it take for you to see Brady's great arm or Montana's?
We’ll…Tom Brady led his team to Superbowl Championship his first season starting….Joe Montana did the same in his first season starting as the full time starter.

It should also be noted that neither was the 5th overall pick in the NFL draft, and neither was drafted ahead of a prototype who went on to be rookie of the year.

there were far far less expectations for 6th round pick and a 3rd round pick.

I would say both proved their greatness very early in their career!

Y
I rewatched Marino's first start against Buffalo the other day. I was struck by how poorly he played. If you watch the highlights or read the titles of the Youtube clips you'd think he was incredible from the start. But watching the whole game that was hardly the case. His first pass was intercepted. He missed several passes throughout the game. He was credited with two interceptions on the day, but also had a third pass that he airmailed right into the safety's chest that was dropped. He was booed loudly after that second interception (the game was in Miami).

He was on a really good team that coming off of a SB appearance and they were playing at home against a team they owned, but it was a struggle. That OL was pretty good. He had good protection most of the time and the run game provided some nice support. But he still was sacked a couple times for just holding the ball too long. He fumbled a couple of snaps that Miami luckily recovered. He must have had 50-60 yards at the end of that first half. Miami's defense and STs coverage were good too. I think they got two TOs to help out. The saving grace was that Duper was uncoverable in the second half. He was getting open by 5-7 yards so that provided some easy completions. One was about an 85 yard TD that people would now call "Alabama open". Marino did have two other short TDs after some questionable penalties that put the ball on the 1 yard line.

In the end, I would say Marino was very shaky, but also showed flashes. The Dolphins lost, but the flashy stats protected him from much of the blame and Von Shamann was terrible so he took the brunt.
Yeah? And how was Marino in the other 8 starts? Was he rookie of the year? Did he lead his team to the playoffs?

We’ll…Tom Brady led his team to Superbowl Championship his first season starting….Joe Montana did the same in his first season starting as the full time starter.

It should also be noted that neither was the 5th overall pick in the NFL draft, and neither was drafted ahead of a prototype who went on to be rookie of the year.

How’s your boy Drew Lock doing? 😂

Ps. Tom Brady didn’t start in his rookie season he sat his whole rookie season behind Drew Bledsoe and started his second year after Bledsoe got injured.
Montana didn’t really play his rookie season either, he was DeBergs backup that whole year.

Last edited:

...you will never know your limits if you fail to test them... there is not a scoreboard on the practice field and the mistakes made while experimenting do not count.

Tom Brady with his 18 tds and 12 picks and his 6.9 ypa? 86.5 Quarterback rating?

Wait I thought winning were team accomplishments?

Tom Brady with his 18 tds and 12 picks and his 6.9 ypa? 86.5 Quarterback rating?

Wait I thought winning were team accomplishments?
The difference is…Brady accomplished what Drew Bledsoe couldn’t….and I’d say Tom Brady’s record speaks for itself.

To win championships you need a complete roster…yes……and a great QB will put his team over the top!

That is not the same debate as a bottom ten team in regards to winning and losing.

But again….someone brings up a point they think is relevant….and the facts expose the ignorance of it!

The difference is…Brady accomplished what Drew Bledsoe couldn’t….and I’d say Tom Brady’s record speaks for itself.

To win championships you need a complete roster…yes……and a great QB will put his team over the top!

That is not the same debate as a bottom ten team in regards to winning and losing.

But again….someone brings up a point they think is relevant….and the facts expose the ignorance of it!
He wasn't a great qb his first year starting. Its ok dude. Arm strength is the only thing that matters. Its why Drew Lock and Haskins are great qbs today.

He wasn't a great qb his first year starting. Its ok dude. Arm strength is the only thing that matters. Its why Drew Lock and Haskins are great qbs today.
Drew lock is up and down qb..he is avg qb. I blame Elway.. he dont have patient Haskins probably a second string qb..he like club.

Well said Blue. It is beyond my reasoning that why would anyone think a dolphins fan would be happy to see Tua fail. My wish for Watson is well known here. However I will be jumping up and down, wearing his jersey, if he is our QB and doing well. I really don't understand how they would came to their impression of us.
Wanting the best QB to put the team in a position to not only win games but potentially playoffs and beyond should never be slated. We are all fans. We shouldnt get salty on posters when they downplay players based on personal opinion if it doesn't match up to other posters beit a minority or majority opinion or trend. Showing a passion for wanting our team to progress isn't a crime last time I looked.

Back
Top Bottom