Tuesday 6/22/04 QB Camp Report | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tuesday 6/22/04 QB Camp Report

Ohiophinphan said:
They were going to get more veteran practice than they wanted someone else (the NFLPA comes to mind) to know about?

The NFLPA knows everything. You can't keep something like that from the NFLPA when every team has a player reps, and every player has a cel with his agent's number on speed dial...

--Ross

Flurry,
As everyone else has already mentioned, super job getting the scoop for us!
I'm really interested in Carey. How has his pass pro looked, wasnt that a concern before the draft? Has he mathced up agianst JT much? From the reports we've read all offseason, JT has pretty much abused tackles when he wants to, so Im curious how the big daddy has been holding up.

Also, does DBo look noticibly (sp?) slimmer yet again? Heck, even ESPN was monitoring his weight loss for a while there. Have you noticed his speed, balance, or agility improve over the last few camps? What about his attitude? Do you notice anything peculiar about his interaction with teammates and coaches, or does he "blend in" now?

It'll be hard to reply to everyone, so I'll cut my questions off now.

High Five from Austin Texas! Home of the Ricky Williams Bandwagon!
GIRTHVADER

you know.. its reports like this.. that makes me happy to belong here.. I'm sure no other fan-board has insiders like we do... :)

If I wasnt a premium member, I'd probably donate money and become a premium member... HINT HINT......

Jeep said:
you know.. its reports like this.. that makes me happy to belong here.. I'm sure no other fan-board has insiders like we do... :)

I think your right about that

Feeley, Fiedler, Ricky, Chambers, Boston, McMichael, Konrad, Smith, James, McKinney, StClair, Mare, Turk, Zach, JT, and Surtain were all in camp? Thats our entire starting offense and our 3 most important defensive vets. All on a day when only rooks, 1st year players, and SELECTED vets were supposed to show up. Wanny even made it a point to say "At the same time, you're not out here wasting the time of a Zach Thomas or a Sam Madison who are experienced and know what's going on." And, if the practice is closed to the public, why on earth would they let in an assistant from another team? A division rival at that! And, about 30 vets attended a seminar by John Maxwell on tuesday...how can that be if almost all the vets were in camp? One final point....in an article by A. Marvez dated today, he quotes Wanny as saying St Clair will be the starter at RT going into training camp, but this thread states Carey has already taken the job. I dunno....call me a cynic or a jerk or whatever, but it sounds a little fishy (no pun intended) to me.

yankeehillbilly said:
Feeley, Fiedler, Ricky, Chambers, Boston, McMichael, Konrad, Smith, James, McKinney, StClair, Mare, Turk, Zach, JT, and Surtain were all in camp? Thats our entire starting offense and our 3 most important defensive vets. All on a day when only rooks, 1st year players, and SELECTED vets were supposed to show up. Wanny even made it a point to say "At the same time, you're not out here wasting the time of a Zach Thomas or a Sam Madison who are experienced and know what's going on." And, if the practice is closed to the public, why on earth would they let in an assistant from another team? A division rival at that! And, about 30 vets attended a seminar by John Maxwell on tuesday...how can that be if almost all the vets were in camp? One final point....in an article by A. Marvez dated today, he quotes Wanny as saying St Clair will be the starter at RT going into training camp, but this thread states Carey has already taken the job. I dunno....call me a cynic or a jerk or whatever, but it sounds a little fishy (no pun intended) to me.

Situation reminds me of J.B Brown.

phinfan77 said:
could someone explain the J.B. Brown thing to me?

Some guy who posted training camp reports but he never actually attended any of them.The guy didn't even live in state of Florida.Everybody was so into his camp reports that some people didn't mind if the reports were fake.

It probably a Fins coach or player yanking the Fans chain. LOL

I remember the JB Brown thing...I was one of the people who figured out that he wasn't attending these camps. He was posting training camp reports and talking about things that he saw etc, when all he was really doing was going by reports from the media and other fans who were there etc and just filling in the blanks himself. He was Finheaven's official "training camp reporter" before they went to this system of submitting camp reports from anyone, for anyone to read (a great idea btw). I'm not accusing finsflurry of being another brown but I'll have to admit I've noticed a few inconsistencies between his report and what I've read from media people like Joe Schad, who I KNOW were there....but to me the big one I'm trying to figure out is Schad said that Sage Rosenfels took most of the snaps and earlier in his blogs he said that AJ Feeley will not be in attendance at the rookie camp, yet finsflurry has Jay and AJ taking most all the snaps in the scrimmage.

Still, I appreciate the report.

Hmmm, well damn! I dunno whether to believe the report or not...but if its true, thanks and I apologize in advance for the doubt.

Assuming your reports are accurate regarding Feeley being streaky. I'd like to ask a question.
When he is on a bad streak, does it start with short throws or long or a mix?
My point is that if the medium - long throw is his strength, why not have him start with those as oppose to the short stuff? Have they tried this? If so, what were the results?

Thanks.

ckparrothead said:
I remember the JB Brown thing...I was one of the people who figured out that he wasn't attending these camps. He was posting training camp reports and talking about things that he saw etc, when all he was really doing was going by reports from the media and other fans who were there etc and just filling in the blanks himself. He was Finheaven's official "training camp reporter" before they went to this system of submitting camp reports from anyone, for anyone to read (a great idea btw). I'm not accusing finsflurry of being another brown but I'll have to admit I've noticed a few inconsistencies between his report and what I've read from media people like Joe Schad, who I KNOW were there....but to me the big one I'm trying to figure out is Schad said that Sage Rosenfels took most of the snaps and earlier in his blogs he said that AJ Feeley will not be in attendance at the rookie camp, yet finsflurry has Jay and AJ taking most all the snaps in the scrimmage.

Still, I appreciate the report.

Well I did leave kinda early as Sage was starting to take the snaps so I must assume he did take the majority after I left. But I assure you all the guys were there that I reported unless they had someone else wearing the jerseys...the thing I don't get is if they're reporting this as a rookie camp why was it originally a QB Camp before it was closed to the public? We don't have any rookie qb's to my knowledge....and plus Wanny had his motivational speaker there and he said in the PBP that the veterans were in attendance. You guys can question me all you want but the fact is I am reporting what I saw just as I did previous camps so believe what you want...I dont lie and I would definitely not lie about something as minor as a QB Camp, I wouldn't ruin my credibility like that... I would never mislead you guys no matter what some of you seem to believe now. And BTW, as I stated earlier, Brad Roll was not there nor has been there since he got hired, but he's been best friends with Gamble since they started here in 96 so he made a call and that's how I got in. Some of you seem to think we strolled in with the whole Buffalo front office and stole all the Fins plays lol.

Dolphan_B said:
finsflurry:

Is Carey actually playing on the first team or just playing like he will be?

He tends to start off with the second unit but is the first o-lineman in usually every time....let me put it to you this way: John St. Clair is the worst offensive tackle we have on this team, period. His run blocking is decent but his pass blocking makes Wade Smith of last year look like Orlando Pace. He gets beat routinely by everyone from JT to Bowens to Williams to Grigsby, Carey has only struggled against JT, but then again everyone struggles against him. Vernon Carey will start opening day I guarantee it.

Does anyone forsee Russell making the team ?

I see him making it either as the primary or backup return man, and backup third rb/third down back is still within his sights as well.

great report. whats your take on bell and poll

Poole is improving, I see him mainly helping out this year in our special teams blocking unit, as I stated earlier he can be a force out there. Bell I think will make his real push next season because he has no exp and they wanna get him some spot duty at backup S to get his feet wet IMO.

I'm really interested in Carey. How has his pass pro looked, wasnt that a concern before the draft? Has he mathced up agianst JT much? From the reports we've read all offseason, JT has pretty much abused tackles when he wants to, so Im curious how the big daddy has been holding up.

His pass protection has looked decent, not better than Wade Smith but not worse than St. Clair so I would rank him as being a little better than the Wade Smith of last year. JT has dominated everyone, not just him, but when Carey gets his arms around you its over, it just really hard to do it with no pads. It's not a concern yet.

Also, does DBo look noticibly (sp?) slimmer yet again? Heck, even ESPN was monitoring his weight loss for a while there. Have you noticed his speed, balance, or agility improve over the last few camps? What about his attitude? Do you notice anything peculiar about his interaction with teammates and coaches, or does he "blend in" now?

He does from when he first started camp, he looks noticeably a little less muscled in the neck and chest area where he was just bulging before. He alligator armed a couple passes his first camp and had that injury but after that he became really focused and I see nothing but positives heading into TC. Boston and Sullivan are always talking, Sullivan talks to him after nearly every play he's involved in. I aslo notice that Randy McMichael and him walk and talk together alot, with David laughing quite often when he's with him. Randy is supposedly a very funny guy and extremely popular with the team so if they get close hopefully he gets close to the team. He seems to fit in well here, just like another outcast who got traded after underachieving and then went on to have a career year...

When he is on a bad streak, does it start with short throws or long or a mix?
My point is that if the medium - long throw is his strength, why not have him start with those as oppose to the short stuff? Have they tried this? If so, what were the results?

It's always the short stuff, once he stuggles with that it affects the rest of his game. They haven't really had him go deep to start and I wonder why they don't, it's his biggest strength.

Back
Top Bottom