Tune to NFL Network if you want to know why Fins are scouting North of the border | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tune to NFL Network if you want to know why Fins are scouting North of the border

[video=youtube;NHZa2sAKno4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHZa2sAKno4&feature=channel[/video]

[video=youtube;CwY5IQCuBvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwY5IQCuBvI&feature=channel[/video]

[video=youtube;dbmcL_aADGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbmcL_aADGs&feature=channel[/video]

Looks like this league is known for its huge catches, with that said tonights catch was sick.

I always argue that Ricky's poor play in the CFL was no coincidence and that it had more to do cause the talent he was playing against was actually good.
When that signing happened, there were people everywhere claiming Ricky would rewrite the CFL record book, and I kept telling them they were underestimating the CFL and didn't understand that Ricky is not the ideal type of back for the CFL. It may sound odd, but the CFL and NFL require different "types" of players at a lot of different positions. Ricky had a lot of power to run over the smaller linebackers in the CFL, but he lacked the speed to get outside and take advantage of the wide field.

As it turns out, Ricky did okay, but he was just kind of average. In an 8 team league, I think he was 4th in rushing until he broke his arm. He ran hard and played like he could, he wasn't dogging it like so many claimed. It's just that he had a hard time taking the angle with the quicker, smaller linebackers in the CFL.

Anyway, he looked good, but was far from smashing records. But when he got a full head of steam going, look out. Mike Sellers (Redskins) played for the Blue Bombers few years back, and he was a machine. He was as big or bigger than a lot of Dlineman in the CFL. And at the same time, the Bombers had Charles Roberts to change it up...a super shifty little back. They were nicknamed "Thunder and lightning" and were one hell of a duo.

When that signing happened, there were people everywhere claiming Ricky would rewrite the CFL record book, and I kept telling them they were underestimating the CFL and didn't understand that Ricky is not the ideal type of back for the CFL. It may sound odd, but the CFL and NFL require different "types" of players at a lot of different positions. Ricky had a lot of power to run over the smaller linebackers in the CFL, but he lacked the speed to get outside and take advantage of the wide field.

As it turns out, Ricky did okay, but he was just kind of average. In an 8 team league, I think he was 4th in rushing until he broke his arm. He ran hard and played like he could, he wasn't dogging it like so many claimed. It's just that he had a hard time taking the angle with the quicker, smaller linebackers in the CFL.

Anyway, he looked good, but was far from smashing records. But when he got a full head of steam going, look out. Mike Sellers (Redskins) played for the Blue Bombers few years back, and he was a machine. He was as big or bigger than a lot of Dlineman in the CFL. And at the same time, the Bombers had Charles Roberts to change it up...a super shifty little back. They were nicknamed "Thunder and lightning" and were one hell of a duo.

As you can see by my sig I am seriously pulling for RGM who was a BC Lion. How did he do in the CFL, I think he a legit chance to make the roster.

As you can see by my sig I am seriously pulling for RGM who was a BC Lion. How did he do in the CFL, I think he a legit chance to make the roster.
Honestly, RGM was someone I didn't expect to go south.

That's the funny thing, every year, a bunch of guys sign with NFL teams, but they are rarely the stars of their CFL teams (Cam Wake an exception). But they have age on their side and potential I guess.

But back to RGM, he's very fast and shifty, but he had buttery hands last year. There would have likely been 3 returners in the CFL last year that I would have chosen over him (although one other one went to the NFL too).

But if he can focus a bit more and get rid of the dropsies, he definitely has the wheels to be a good returner in any league.

The Lions are loaded full of excellent receivers so he didn't stand out much in that roll.

[video=youtube;H9NN1hy-kUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9NN1hy-kUs[/video]

Honestly, RGM was someone I didn't expect to go south.

That's the funny thing, every year, a bunch of guys sign with NFL teams, but they are rarely the stars of their CFL teams (Cam Wake an exception). But they have age on their side and potential I guess.

But back to RGM, he's very fast and shifty, but he had buttery hands last year. There would have likely been 3 returners in the CFL last year that I would have chosen over him (although one other one went to the NFL too).

But if he can focus a bit more and get rid of the dropsies, he definitely has the wheels to be a good returner in any league.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H9NN1hy-kUs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H9NN1hy-kUs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I think his reunion with Bess is seriously gonna help him. He recently said in an interview he would do whatever it took to make the team and I know what I saw in college from him and know how fast and shifty he can be. Guy can run some sick routes and was hoping Miami signed him for a while.

SJ_Green_2010_15616-1.jpg

This catch was sick and it should be nominated for play of the year in the CFL. It is gonna be hard to beat this catch, look like something out of Madden.

#19 in the superbowl miami win...............:lol:

#19 in the superbowl miami win...............:lol:

The pass was from #13 Anthony Calvillo, who is the CFLs version of Marino. I swear the guy looks like Dan throwing the ball out there, what a passer.

I think his reunion with Bess is seriously gonna help him. He recently said in an interview he would do whatever it took to make the team and I know what I saw in college from him and know how fast and shifty he can be. Guy can run some sick routes and was hoping Miami signed him for a while.
Yup for sure, he can move.

It's kind of funny though, every year, BC has to look for new returners. First Stephan Logan, now RGM. Two years in a row.

The pass was from #13 Anthony Calvillo, who is the CFLs version of Marino. I swear the guy looks like Dan throwing the ball out there, what a passer.
It's funny because you see Anthony Calvillo with his helmet off, and you would never guess he was a pro football player. But the guy has really become a ridiculously good QB. He had a 72% completion percentage last year. 26 TD's and 6 interceptions. He's solid.

If he plays for 2 more years, which he plans to, he has an excellent chance of becoming the all time passing yards leader in all of pro football, currently held by Damon Allen. Warren Moon is 2, Favre 3, and Marino 5 (Calvillo currently 4). He's definitely in some elite company. He also has the second highest completion percentage of the top 10 yardage passers behind only Peyton Manning.

It's funny because you see Anthony Calvillo with his helmet off, and you would never guess he was a pro football player. But the guy has really become a ridiculously good QB. He had a 72% completion percentage last year. 26 TD's and 6 interceptions. He's solid.

If he plays for 2 more years, which he plans to, he has an excellent chance of becoming the all time passing yards leader in all of pro football, currently held by Damon Allen. Warren Moon is 2, Favre 3, and Marino 5 (Calvillo currently 4). He's definitely in some elite company. He also has the second highest completion percentage of the top 10 yardage passers behind only Peyton Manning.

He is loyal as well, has by with MTL forever.

On a side note, you mention how both Logan and RGM where taken from the Lions. Notice how the guy who replaced Wake also is in the NFL as well.

He is loyal as well, has by with MTL forever.

On a side note, you mention how both Logan and RGM where taken from the Lions. Notice how the guy who replaced Wake also is in the NFL as well.
Yeah Ricky Foley. He was just waiting for his chance. Great player but had Cam Wake sitting in front of him. He's also a Canadian (non-import) so that one likely hurt the Lions more, or at least as much, as Wake.

They also lost their running back 2 years in a row. Stefan Logan was their returner and split touches at RB with Charles Roberts 2 years ago. Logan went to the Steelers, so they had an open spot at RB last year and gave it to Martel Mallet, who went to the NFL this past offseason. He was a really good back. Not flashy, but has decent size, fairly fast, but just seems to run hard on every play even if he's ahead of the play 20 yards. He was never a guy to highstep it into the endzone...he would run it hard right in.

The team I follow in the CFL lost both their defensive ends last year to the NFL. That hurt. John Chick went to the Colts and picked up a big signing bonus (similar to Cam Wake) and Stevie Baggs went to the Cards. You've never seen pigeon toes until you've seen Stevie Baggs. Chick will stick, Baggs I'm not so sure as I imagine they will move him to linebacker and I'm not sure he'll be great in coverage...but both are great talents.

As for Calvillo, he actually started his pro career in the USA with the Las Vegas Posse when the CFL expanded to the US back in the 90's. He then spent 3 years with Hamilton...but has spent the last dozen with the Als.

The CFL game is a wide open game with rules that slant towards the offense -

And the NFL isnt..... you aren't allowed to TOUCH a wide receiver after 5 yards any more. You can't hit a quarterback unless its on the numbers, and don't "slam him to the ground". If your hand hits a quarterbacks helmet, you are penalized. But its much more likely to break your hand than suffer even the slightest damage to the quarterbacks head.

The NFL game has been changed to favor the offense, which is why there are all these "elite" quarterbacks racking up unbelieveable numbers... makes the accomplishments of jerry rice that much more impressive that he did it in a time where the defense was actually allowed to play defense.

Wake triple teamed? Let's get real for a moment. He was the best defensive end in the league, on the best defensive line in the league. But he didn't break any sack records (close).

As for your comments about CFL fields being hard? Huh? They use the same turf as the NFL and it was 90 degrees out at that game. Not sure what that was supposed to mean?

Lemon will be a dud and the Argos will be the worst team in the league this year. Book it.

Well I guess I hit a nerve eh...?

1. Reality is Wake was often defensed by three players that is...chipped at the line of scrimmage by a Split End coming down the line of scrimmage or even chipped by the Guard then there was the RB in max protection that he still had to get by - this is as you know a passing league and Wake tore it up teams devised schemes against him Chick doesn't hold Wake's jock...
Teams did not spend the play book to avoid Chick.

Records? - Jake Quick Parker I believe - that's another era...

2. The talant is far from equal - Chick and Baggs, Martell, Lumbala, RGM will be back with their respective teams - WR Kelly Campbell is back in EDM after kicking around practice squads. Wake will likley only be situational 2nd and 3rd and long but the league is becoming more "situational" every season. I have no problem them telling Wake to get upfield and cause havoc. Screw the every down LBer talk - not everyone can go into coverage

3. The fields are not equal

Last night the Calgary Stampeder's Defender's head hit the turf and bounce off like it was concrete... Listen, if you believe that stadiums and field turf in the CFL is the quality of the NFL particularly in Calgary, SK, EDM and WPG and Hamilton then you are a serious homer. Do a little more research.

These community owned teams and even the teams out-right owned do not have the cha-ching to invest in the players long term health as they do in the NFL... How many grass fields in the CFL...?

4. Cleo will likley be a dud. Cleo Lemon's stats last night were actually even poorer than they look..., and yes he did a lot of back-pedalling and running and if he takes that kind of punishment he won't last the season... He throws a better ball than Burris in my opinion. CFL QBs have to win games on their arms and legs alone and not simply manage games, which is so often the case in the systems of the NFL

Rev your a bit harsh to the Canadian league, lol. I think it is a fun league to burn time till the NFL season gets here. It is entertaining and underrated. You also have to give them credit for the way they played today, they knew they where being seen on the National stage and they played like it.

Harsh? I don't think so, if they would lift the CDN content garbage the best product on the field would be enjoyed by the fans and would give even better results no? I'm not arguing that it wasn't an entertaining night of FB. (Well at least the first game - Cleo Lemon was lost in the second game).

CDNs like myself should have to win their job outright.

The NHL doesn't limited the number of Russians and Swedes... into the league does it? Most would agree that the NHL is a better game with the Russians and Swedes. Is their a artio for Latin Americans in the NFL?

I know it was a good game and can be entertaining and a good CFL QB gets very little respect overall, these guys need to win the game on their arms and legs not by some system.

I doubt anyone will be posting about the greatness of the CFL when NFL training camp commences and after the CFL signees return to their respective teams

Back
Top Bottom