Tune to NFL Network if you want to know why Fins are scouting North of the border | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tune to NFL Network if you want to know why Fins are scouting North of the border

Glad you guys like what you saw from the CFL. Im a Saskatchewan Roughriders fan. There is alot of talent in this league, and im pleased you guys liked it. Its fun, exciting, and gave a game like no other on Thursday!! I was going crazy, what a finish!

Come and be a Rider fan people!! :)

The CFL game is a wide open game with rules that slant towards the offense -

Are you saying Martz may find himself up in the great white north if he doesn't save Lovie's job? :chuckle:

Seriously, I'll watch the CFL if I'm surfing channels and its on.... Its entertaining.

Altitude Sports (based in Denver) part of my Comcast package broadcasts it here.

Are you saying Martz may find himself up in the great white north if he doesn't save Lovie's job? :chuckle:

Seriously, I'll watch the CFL if I'm surfing channels and its on.... Its entertaining.

Altitude Sports (based in Denver) part of my Comcast package broadcasts it here.

Hey Marv Levy may make a comeback to the CFL leaving Martz out... LOL

Lots of people feel that the CFL left a few marks in the NFL stuff like running the spread - I really don't know too much about origins but if you like to see eep passes the CF will leave you entertained. That is entertaining until you endure one too many punt fests

glad you guys like what you saw from the cfl. Im a saskatchewan roughriders fan. There is alot of talent in this league, and im pleased you guys liked it. Its fun, exciting, and gave a game like no other on thursday!! I was going crazy, what a finish!

Come and be a rider fan people!! :)

big blue :)

Hey Marv Levy may make a comeback to the CFL leaving Martz out... LOL

Lots of people feel that the CFL left a few marks in the NFL stuff like running the spread - I really don't know too much about origins but if you like to see eep passes the CF will leave you entertained. That is entertaining until you endure one too many punt fests

Rev think about the NFL is turning into the same thing. You can't hit a QB below the knees, you can't put you hands on the helmet of a QB, CB cannot ruff up a WR until the receiver gains 5 yards. Also alot say the CFL is passing league, but last year they had the most amount of runners rushing for 100 yards. I see a lot of running from the RBs & QBs, I really like the league.

2010 Canadian Football League Schedule on NFL Network

July 1: Montreal @ Saskatchewan 7:00 PM ET
July 10 Calgary @ Hamilton 1:00 PM ET
July 17 Edmonton @ Saskatchewan 4:00 PM ET
July 24 Edmonton @ Winnipeg 6:30 PM ET
July 31 Hamilton @ Saskatchewan 6:30 PM ET
Sept. 10 Calgary @ Edmonton 9:00 PM ET
Sept. 17 Calgary @ Saskatchewan 9:00 PM ET
Sept. 24 Montreal @ Winnipeg 8:00 PM ET
Oct. 1 Montreal @ Calgary 9:00 PM ET
Oct. 8 Edmonton @ Hamilton 7:30 PM ET
Oct. 15 Hamilton @ Toronto 7:30 PM ET
Oct. 22 Montreal @ Hamilton 7:00 PM ET
Oct. 29 Montreal @ Toronto 7:00 PM ET
Nov. 5 Calgary @ Winnipeg 8:00 PM ET

Rev think about the NFL is turning into the same thing. You can't hit a QB below the knees, you can't put you hands on the helmet of a QB, CB cannot ruff up a WR until the receiver gains 5 yards. Also alot say the CFL is passing league, but last year they had the most amount of runners rushing for 100 yards. I see a lot of running from the RBs & QBs, I really like the league.

I think I hear you Roberto - QBs and RBs gaining big yards on only a few touches the fields are wide open at the second level. Most CFL teams have more than a few issues in the secondary. Again, if they relax the CDN content rule you will have Americans defending in the backfield. Not currently the case. With the width of the field these CFL guys need incredible athletes with stamina. Our LB cores are fleet footed and everyone has to be able to chase and drop into coverage - so smaller LB types tweeners from the College and NFL often do real well here.

When guys like Calvillo, Dunigan, Dickinson, Flutie, and Damon Allen joined the league they ran a lot especially when they got flushed. Many paid a huge price. When they got older they realized they could run sideline to sideline and use the width of the field to their advantage and throw it away when they get beyond the hashmarks. Two still had concussion problems. (Dunigan and Dickenson) QBs who can throw and/or run equally well have great success in this league. Calvillo in his 40s has a lot more mobility than Marino had in his 20s. Marino had pocket presence. To me Calvillo is a lot more like Jim Kelly. I

t seems every year QBs were going down every other week, i think the CFL teams chose to use the run more to keep QBs upright, but in this league the pass sets up the run. Offensively these teams put up 400-500 yards on a weekly basis. I think the bigger issue is the full yard off the ball, and motion and SEs are getting a getting that running start SEs come down on good DEs and get that devastating crack back block like this SE from Calgary, Lewis 220 pounds is blowing up DEs it seems every other game.

Tonite we have EDM VS. BC - Years ago QB Ricky Ray EDM was signed by the Jets never given a chance to make a throw so he came back to EDM, Dave Dickinson then BC or CGY can't remember (now retired) a few years ago same thing with the Dolphins - now Dickinson is a short man looks about 6'0. Another guy still playing Burris CGY was given a chance with Green Bay and Chicago a few years ago but watch closely his ball tails at the end, but he was equally dangerous with his legs (now he is injury prone when hit). Ricky Ray currently, no question & Dickinson before he retired could really throw the deep ball and touch passes.

Chaps disagrees with me but running QBs have a short shelf life in the CFL - they have to learn to take their opportunities and slide feet first. Matt Dunigan used to run head first when he entered the league. He grew wiser.

I think I hear you Roberto - QBs and RBs gaining big yards on only a few touches the fields are wide open at the second level. Most CFL teams have more than a few issues in the secondary. Again, if they relax the CDN content rule you will have Americans defending in the backfield. Not currently the case. With the width of the field these CFL guys need incredible athletes with stamina. Our LB cores are fleet footed and everyone has to be able to chase and drop into coverage - so smaller LB types tweeners from the College and NFL often do real well here.

When guys like Calvillo, Dunigan, Dickinson, Flutie, and Damon Allen joined the league they ran a lot especially when they got flushed. Many paid a huge price. When they got older they realized they could run sideline to sideline and use the width of the field to their advantage and throw it away when they get beyond the hashmarks. Two still had concussion problems. (Dunigan and Dickenson) QBs who can throw and/or run equally well have great success in this league. Calvillo in his 40s has a lot more mobility than Marino had in his 20s. Marino had pocket presence. To me Calvillo is a lot more like Jim Kelly. I

t seems every year QBs were going down every other week, i think the CFL teams chose to use the run more to keep QBs upright, but in this league the pass sets up the run. Offensively these teams put up 400-500 yards on a weekly basis. I think the bigger issue is the full yard off the ball, and motion and SEs are getting a getting that running start SEs come down on good DEs and get that devastating crack back block like this SE from Calgary, Lewis 220 pounds is blowing up DEs it seems every other game.

Tonite we have EDM VS. BC - Years ago QB Ricky Ray EDM was signed by the Jets never given a chance to make a throw so he came back to EDM, Dave Dickinson then BC or CGY can't remember (now retired) a few years ago same thing with the Dolphins - now Dickinson is a short man looks about 6'0. Another guy still playing Burris CGY was given a chance with Green Bay and Chicago a few years ago but watch closely his ball tails at the end, but he was equally dangerous with his legs (now he is injury prone when hit). Ricky Ray currently, no question & Dickinson before he retired could really throw the deep ball and touch passes.

Chaps disagrees with me but running QBs have a short shelf life in the CFL - they have to learn to take their opportunities and slide feet first. Matt Dunigan used to run head first when he entered the league. He grew wiser.

The league is offensive, no doubt. You forgot to mention Jeff Garcia. Another thing I have notice the brutality the defenders play with and the crack back blocks are devastating. ESPN would have a one hour show on You got Jacked up, if the CFL became more popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our LB cores are fleet footed and everyone has to be able to chase and drop into coverage - so smaller LB types tweeners from the College and NFL often do real well here.

Funny you mention this. I remember reading an article a while back on why this regime liked such big players and how it had to do with NFL defenses becoming smaller ( like the one's in the CFL), the reason the article gave for defenses becoming smaller in the NFL (LB's specifically) was do to the league becoming more of a passing league and the ability of QBs being able to run more. Every year the NFL is passing rules to make the league more and more entertaining, because that is what brings the money and by making it easier for the offense the NFL is becoming very similar to CFL. It also does not surprise me to see teams tapping into the CFL more and more. I think that we are witnessing the beginning of it. Think about how many CFLers have come into the league the last two years. Shoot the Dolphins alone have four.

I think it is no coincidence that the NFL Network has agreed to a deal with the CFL and that five of the players that are being followed in camps this year on their site happens to be a former CFLer and Wake's backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
The league is offensive, no doubt. You forgot to mention Jeff Garcia. Another thing I have notice the brutality the defenders play with and the crack back blocks are devastating. ESPN would have a one hour show on You got Jacked up, if the CFL became more popular.

I missed a lot of names. The funny thing is that outside of Flutie no one from the NFL has had any real success though CFL teams have tried a number of times to retread former or ailing NFL stars careers, Garcia bolted the CFL for the NFL so sometimes CFL Qbs can make the adjustment back.

Few CFL Defenders like Wake can make much of a splash, Klingbeil left SK and played for the Phins about 10 yrs ago he was a DT NT type, who took on OL blockers.

You have to believe me when I say that Wake so good he looked out of place. As did Flutie and Garcia and the infamous Warren Moon who I also failed to mentioned earlier

Funny you mention this. I remember reading an article a while back on why this regime liked such big players and how it had to do with NFL defenses becoming smaller ( like the one's in the CFL), the reason the article gave for defenses becoming smaller in the NFL (LB's specifically) was do to the league becoming more of a passing league and the ability of QBs being able to run more. Every year the NFL is passing rules to make the league more and more entertaining, because that is what brings the money and by making it easier for the offense the NFL is becoming very similar to CFL. It also does not surprise me to see teams tapping into the CFL more and more. I think that we are witnessing the beginning of it. Think about how many CFLers have come into the league the last two years. Shoot the Dolphins alone have four.

I think it is no coincidence that the NFL Network has agreed to a deal with the CFL and that five of the players that are being followed in camps this year on their site happens to be a former CFLer and Wake's backup.

Well the truth is that the CFL athletes are special in many ways, particularly the Americans... many CDNs would lose their spot if the import non-import ratio were changed. American tweeners especially, these are good players they just don't have the body to be on NFL rosters. Like it was said earlier the CFL game is not just power football with a cloud of dust left in the wake. The American players who know the spread O seem to excel here and the QBs who can get used to the 12th Defender and can scramble enough to keep plays alive churn up big plays with huge chunks of yardage. QBs in the CFL win on their talents brains,arms and legs while game-managers simply get cut.

I noticed that QB Stephan Lefors cannot make the long throw to the wide sideline, that extra few yards makes a huge difference, as the CB plays off and baits the QB to make the throw. Lefors has the versatility to scramble and keep plays alive, or he would have been cut now I believe he is a Practice squad player. You know the CFL has quick defensive players when QB Timmy Chang who I believe knew the spread in Hawaii couldn't get comfortable he was a disaster behind center for the Ti-Cats.

CDN Fooball the field is 12 yards wider and 30 yards longer

Canadian Football League (CFL) Football
Outside Dimension:
Length - 150 yards or 450'
Width - 65 yards or 195'
End Zone:
End zones are 20 yards deep.

National Football League (NFL) or Professional
Outside Dimension:
Length - 120 yards or 360'
Width - 53 and 1/3 yards or 160'
End Zone:
End zones are ten yards deep.

Well the truth is that the CFL athletes are special in many ways, particularly the Americans... many CDNs would lose their spot if the import non-import ratio were changed. American tweeners especially, these are good players they just don't have the body to be on NFL rosters. Like it was said earlier the CFL game is not just power football with a cloud of dust left in the wake. The American players who know the spread O seem to excel here and the QBs who can get used to the 12th Defender and can scramble enough to keep plays alive churn up big plays with huge chunks of yardage. QBs in the CFL win on their talents brains,arms and legs while game-managers simply get cut.

I noticed that QB Stephan Lefors cannot make the long throw to the wide sideline, that extra few yards makes a huge difference, as the CB plays off and baits the QB to make the throw. Lefors has the versatility to scramble and keep plays alive, or he would have been cut now I believe he is a Practice squad player. You know the CFL has quick defensive players when QB Timmy Chang who I believe knew the spread in Hawaii couldn't get comfortable he was a disaster behind center for the Ti-Cats.

CDN Fooball the field is 12 yards wider and 30 yards longer

Canadian Football League (CFL) Football
Outside Dimension:
Length - 150 yards or 450'
Width - 65 yards or 195'
End Zone:
End zones are 20 yards deep.

National Football League (NFL) or Professional
Outside Dimension:
Length - 120 yards or 360'
Width - 53 and 1/3 yards or 160'
End Zone:
End zones are ten yards deep.

'Timmy Chang was just horrible at pro football, He could not make it in the NFL or CFL. You forgot to mention Jake Scott who played for the CFL and was a heck of a Safety for the Fins. I agree the field does favor the players a bit more than the NFL and I also notice WR do not need to place both feet in bounds when catching the ball.

'Timmy Chang was just horrible at pro football, He could not make it in the NFL or CFL. You forgot to mention Jake Scott who played for the CFL and was a heck of a Safety for the Fins. I agree the field does favor the players a bit more than the NFL and I also notice WR do not need to place both feet in bounds when catching the ball.

The game has changed a lot in both leagues since Jake played :)

Did you guys know this game was a rematch of last year greycup? Wich was won by Montreal in final seconds of the game... The Als needed a field goal to win the game and missed, but the play was called back for a too many men penalty against the riders. And with no time on the clock they re-kicked and that one went through for the win and championship!

Back
Top Bottom