Tyrod Taylor Seriously (taylor Signed With Chargers) | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tyrod Taylor Seriously (taylor Signed With Chargers)

Before I start my therapy sessions, it would be helpful to know how Taylor being better than Tannehill has anything to do with him being the QB of the future.

Personally, I don't view Taylor as anything more than a quality backup, which is where i believe his value lies with a team like the Dolphins (and every other team). I'd pass on him now knowing he'll probably be available every off season if it made more sense in the future.

So, you aren’t really advocating bringing him in. In that case, you and I are mostly in agreement. Even as a backup, though, it doesn’t make sense to bring him in now. Why force a QB controversy with a young draft pick in the future? Tyrod only makes sense right now if you are bringing him in as a starter, and if that is what you want, refer to my previous post.

FWIW, browse the entire thread and you will see why I wrote what I did.

Why are we worried about Tyrod Taylor being signed and potentially being our quarterback?

Ok, he's the guy that was under center for the Bills when they went 8-8, 7-9, and their 9-7 play off campaign. He did a fair job for them and even made a pro bowl.

So perhaps team tank are worried he could play at a similar level for us and prevent us from being in a position to draft a quarterback next year?

I can appreciate that point of view, however this is the same guy that played badly enough last season to be benched for Baker Mayfield. Granted Baker arguably should have started from day one - he would have done on my team - but Taylor ultimately lost his job not because Baker knocked loudly enough, he lost his job because he played that bad he couldn't remain their starter. So he could easily do the same for us, play that bad that we are forced to go to another quarterback on our roster.

For me, I wouldn't be too concerned if we did sign Tyrod. He's never been a prolific quarterback, nor is he really that good to elevate a bad team and make them a good one.

Just because I think he's better than Tannehill doesn't mean I think he's the QB of the future. Just because you have a top 5 pick doesn't mean you automatically get a 10yr+ HOF QB that takes you to multiple Superbowls.

Just because I think he's better than Tannehill doesn't mean I think he's the QB of the future. Just because you have a top 5 pick doesn't mean you automatically get a 10yr+ HOF QB that takes you to multiple Superbowls.
Please explain what you hope to gain by signing him then. It makes absolutely no sense for the short term or the long term.

Why are we worried about Tyrod Taylor being signed and potentially being our quarterback?

Ok, he's the guy that was under center for the Bills when they went 8-8, 7-9, and their 9-7 play off campaign. He did a fair job for them and even made a pro bowl.

So perhaps team tank are worried he could play at a similar level for us and prevent us from being in a position to draft a quarterback next year?

I can appreciate that point of view, however this is the same guy that played badly enough last season to be benched for Baker Mayfield. Granted Baker arguably should have started from day one - he would have done on my team - but Taylor ultimately lost his job not because Baker knocked loudly enough, he lost his job because he played that bad he couldn't remain their starter. So he could easily do the same for us, play that bad that we are forced to go to another quarterback on our roster.

For me, I wouldn't be too concerned if we did sign Tyrod. He's never been a prolific quarterback, nor is he really that good to elevate a bad team and make them a good one.

So you believe he will fail. If so, why not save the money and give a shot to a young rookie? Maybe you will catch lightening in a bottle.maybe you fail, but at least you spent the energy on someone with possible upside. There is none of that with Taylor, just failure for failure’s sake.

Please explain what you hope to gain by signing him then. It makes absolutely no sense for the short term or the long term.

You gain the chance to see what you have on offense, to see what pieces fit and what pieces don't, instead of putting someone out there like Nathan Peterman who throws 5 picks a game and not knowing what everyone else is capable of. You give the players that sign up for this year with us the hope of actually accomplishing something, instead of just throwing out an UDFA and throwing the season away in the eyes of the rest of the team. I'd still draft someone this year, and maybe later on in the year see what the rookie has to offer if the year turns sour.

Last edited:
So you believe he will fail. If so, why not save the money and give a shot to a young rookie? Maybe you will catch lightening in a bottle.maybe you fail, but at least you spent the energy on someone with possible upside. There is none of that with Taylor, just failure for failure’s sake.

I wouldn’t sign him. My point was he is not a difference maker:

- 6-10, 6-10 with Ryan Fitzpatrick
- 7-9 with EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel
- 9-7 with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton
- 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 with Tyrod Taylor
- 6-10 with Josh Allen, Nathan Peterman, Matt Barkley and Derek Anderson

The Bills as a team have consistently performed at a 6 to 9 win level for years regardless of who has started at quarterback. They’ve won because of their defense and running game. So I wouldn’t expect Tyrod to come here and elevate this team, that was my point to anyone worrying about him coming here and playing us out of a top draft pick.

Personally unless we trade for our qb of the future or draft a quarterback high this year, I’d just have an open competition with whoever is willing to take an invite to camp and let the best man win. Maybe we strike it lucky, maybe we don’t. Realistically it doesn’t matter because we seem to be heading towards a player development season/tank rather than one in which he intend to win more games than we lose. I guess the team could surprise me, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

So you are implying that a player should just learn from their coach, and that's it. Go ahead, nitpick at something else asinine.
I'm not implying that, I'm saying a player doesn't need to learn anything from a bad player. If the young guy is any good, he will figure it out. What did Baker Mayfield learn from Tyrod Taylor last year? Do you honestly think if Taylor wasn't in Cleveland last season, Mayfield wouldn't have finished the season on a roll? All I am saying is, why should a team like Miami, who is in the process of rebuilding, waste one penny of salary cap space on a qb who has no long term future with the franchise?

Now the Ravens tanked in 2007? :lol:
5-11 is now tanking?

What kills me about all these tanking theories is people actually believe with a straight face that coaching staffs and GM's tanked seasons for high draft picks and future seasons THEY WEREN:T GOING TO BE A PART OF. Basically tanked with nothing in it for them other than looking like bad coaches, personnel guys etc. It's actually quite hysterical IMO.

Last edited:
Indianapolis when they tanked for Luck.

Which Super bowl did they win? Are there highlights on youtube? What's funny is Indy has had some success in a very bad division, i'll give all the tank fans that. However, they are on their 2nd sort of rebuild in the Luck era, have a ton of money to spend and what seems like (after year 1) a good offensive minded coach to work with Luck. If the 2nd rebuild is successful and the Colts win the SB in 2021 or 2022 are people really going to look at the "tank for Luck" as the reason? I mean give me a break, that would be like 9 or 10 years ago. At this point who's to say Reich couldn't win a future championship in 2021 or 2022 with a QB he drafted? To me using Luck as a good tank example is dead.

What kills me about all these tanking theories is people actually believe with a straight face that coaching staffs and GM's tanked seasons for high draft picks and future seasons THEY WEREN:T GOING TO BE A PART OF. Basically tanked with nothing in it for them other than looking like bad coaches, personnel guys etc. It's actually quite hysterical IMO.
Especially since literally all of the coaches and most GMs lost their jobs at the end. :lol:

Just tank it for the Clemson kid. Don't even care if it takes two years.

Teddy Bridgewater expected to re-sign with the New Orleans Saints despite a bigger deal on the table from Miami. I’m told Bridgewater values the locker room culture and prospect of one day becoming the Saints starting QB per source informed

Back
Top Bottom