UPDATE: Flores expects Chan Gailey to return as OC/Gailey steps down | Page 41 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UPDATE: Flores expects Chan Gailey to return as OC/Gailey steps down

Chan did better than I expected in 2020. I remember when Dolphin fans wanted his scalp in 2001. Other than
his Georgia head coaching job and Bills 2010 Head coach

Every offensive Co job for Chan lasted 2 years or less. So if it wasn't this season it would have been next.

Last edited:
Size. It certainly impacts his prowess as a "pocket passer." Kid looked small on more than one occasion.

Athleticism. He doesn't have the wheels to legit challenge the edge. No one is going to mistake him for a great athlete.
In addition the prior injury concern has to be factored into the amount physical contact the kid can take. That limits
his ability to threaten with his legs and potentially extend plays.

Arm strength. Certainly nothing big-time about his arm in terms of velocity and power. His ability to attack aggressively
downfield is a concern. His deeper ball is always loopy and therefore enhances the time window DBs have to close
and make plays.

Those are the big ones in my opinion. But there are others as well including pocket sense and escapability.

Last the vaunted "accuracy" just wasn't there as advertised. It was a mixed bag in my opinion.

I'll concede the kid may be able to add some additional arm strength. And maybe the hip was hindering him some.
But there's only so much upside there. So we're banking on him being really smart, super efficient, super precise,
savvy, and most off all --- surrounded by a supporting cast that takes the load off him.

I do a lot of engineering and offsetting an inferior part is always a compromise...

The accuracy was there, they just usually dropped it. Catching the ball was more of a mixed bag than Tua's accuracy.

Tua's arm is never going to prevent him from being successful in the NFL. He has enough.

Some of you seriously need to go watch tape of Drew Brees his rookie year if you think Tua's arm or his play isn't going to suffice. Just go do it first before you reply.

As long as his feet touch the ground he's tall enough.

Kyle Crabbs has a good summation of the obvious candidates on his Locked On podcast. I'm sold on BO'B now !! Kyle you owe me for the plug :) But in all honestly it's a really good breakdown.

What did you take from it?

I found it interesting what Mando said about Flores always wanting competition and yet here we are and Tua is already the winner?...then again its all NFL politics right now so you can't look into it too much...its also obvious but true about Bill O as an OC ...the guy will try to use us as a catapult to a new HC gig which is good because he'll do his best, but bad because we'd be scrambling again to find another OC relatively soon....still though he did do a decent job and he's a NE guy thats been with Flores before...they obviously know each other and Flores did get hooked up with all of these draft picks by trading with OBrien....

I think that the Gailey deal was just that Flores didn't want to confirm anything until he heard it from Chan himself...

Dude I'm not into playing the video challenge game... His arm strength (or lack thereof) is no sudden revelation.

Below is a pre-draft (I'd call it a promo) of Tua -- just scroll down to arm strength and note the observations. After that also note the "red flag" regarding his production:

"he was surrounded by one of the most absurd collections of talent in college football history."

And then (right below that) note passes connected 15+ yards downfield... The lack of deep game didn't just suddenly manifest in Miami.

I asked you a question. I didn't tell you tell me to quote PFF. Show me one video throw of the 2020 Dolphins season with Tua having a loopy deep ball throw.

How is that loopy again?

I found it interesting what Mando said about Flores always wanting competition and yet here we are and Tua is already the winner?...then again its all NFL politics right now so you can't look into it too much...its also obvious but true about Bill O as an OC ...the guy will try to use us as a catapult to a new HC gig which is good because he'll do his best, but bad because we'd be scrambling again to find another OC relatively soon....still though he did do a decent job and he's a NE guy thats been with Flores before...they obviously know each other and Flores did get hooked up with all of these draft picks by trading with OBrien....

I think that the Gailey deal was just that Flores didn't want to confirm anything until he heard it from Chan himself...
No way anyone touches O'Brien as a HC. My goodness, he had 2 generational players in JJ Watt and D Watson

Dude I'm not into playing the video challenge game... His arm strength (or lack thereof) is no sudden revelation.

Below is a pre-draft (I'd call it a promo) of Tua -- just scroll down to arm strength and note the observations. After that also note the "red flag" regarding his production:

"he was surrounded by one of the most absurd collections of talent in college football history."

And then (right below that) note passes connected 15+ yards downfield... The lack of deep game didn't just suddenly manifest in Miami.

Again, his arm strength is fine.

He was surrounded by one of the most absurd collections of talent in college football history because Nick Saban is a beast.

#NickSabanAllStars

Yes, the lack of deep game did suddenly manifest itself in Miami.

Mayor Grier drafted this kid. Sit back, relax, and watch the Pro Bowls roll in. As many mistakes as Grier is allowed, surely you can find it within yourself to allow a rookie QB coming off a car crash injury - surrounded by a bunch of rookie OL and guys at the skill positions that wouldn't be in the NFL if it weren't for the Dolphins - to make a few mistakes.

No way anyone touches O'Brien as a HC. My goodness, he had 2 generational players in JJ Watt and D Watson

Ehhh...never say never...I mean I've heard that said before about other NE coaches after their HC disasters and soon enough...someone somewhere was offering them another HC gig.

The accuracy was there, they just usually dropped it. Catching the ball was more of a mixed bag than Tua's accuracy.

Tua's arm is never going to prevent him from being successful in the NFL. He has enough.

Some of you seriously need to go watch tape of Drew Brees his rookie year if you think Tua's arm or his play isn't going to suffice. Just go do it first before you reply.

As long as his feet touch the ground he's tall enough.
Brees has benefited greatly from Sean Peyton. That and they've been smart staying really strong inside to limit rush up the middle.

I think you made the comparison first and it's the most workable for Tua IMO -- being similiar to Brees.

But Bress was a DAMN GOOD athlete when he was younger! Kid could dunk a football over the goal post.

Pretty quick. Very mobile. Super crafty and smart. I think his arm was "good" but not great of course.

If we can get that kind of production and consistency out of Tua I'd be ecstatic.

If that's the plan then we need to address OL more. Definitely C and more OT wall.

I asked you a question. I didn't tell you tell me to quote PFF. Show me one video throw of the 2020 Dolphins season with Tua having a loopy deep ball throw.

How is that loopy again?

Thanks for sharing. 55 yards in the air, with drop dime accuracy, I say his arm is on par with Chad Pennington...lol.

Yeah I hope that's the case. I also hope we immediately start our search for next o-coordinator. With 6 head coaching job openings, that's a lot of coaching staffs to fill.
Good to see it played out that way. As much as I've been critical of Gailey this year, it'd have made no sense to publicly fire him. We'll have no doubt been scouting for potential OCs throughout the season as soon as the possibility of Gailey not returning came up.

Back
Top Bottom