Updated 2020 Draft Strategy: Stay at 5 and get 4 First Round Picks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Updated 2020 Draft Strategy: Stay at 5 and get 4 First Round Picks

I would not want 4 1st round picks. They would all come due for extensions at the same time making it nearly impossible to pay them all.

I am hoping Miami can move out of the 26th spot and add extra 2nd's, 3rd's and future picks with a team that wants to jump back in to round 1 for a specific guy, the last 1st round QB for example.

If Miami stays at #5, I think there's a good chance a team like the Chargers leapfrog the Dolphins and get Herbert.

If the team likes Love that's probably the most likely scenario if they don't trade up.

Jeudy be like “ I might as will be Legadu Nanee since we don’t have any decent Olinemen to block for the QB”.

I would not want 4 1st round picks. They would all come due for extensions at the same time making it nearly impossible to pay them all.

I am hoping Miami can move out of the 26th spot and add extra 2nd's, 3rd's and future picks with a team that wants to jump back in to round 1 for a specific guy, the last 1st round QB for example.

Thinking more trading 18 and a 2nd to get into the top 10 for one of the best OT's. Keeping 26 hoping for that ace DL, DE rusher being there.
ideally Tua at 5. Trade up from 18, maybe Wirls (plays RT) or one of the other top 2 OT's in the top 10 .
And Im all set and thats not even counting the 26 pk.

Inside out.

So no to CB or WR. Period.
Inside out, indeed.

It has always been, and remains the correct way to build a team foundation.

It isn't exciting. It isn't "sexy". It doesn't make for a big splash. It is the correct way, though.

Some would say that it is "old school" thinking, but if you can't protect the QB, stop the run, and pressure the opponents QB, you will lose come playoff time.

There have been very few exceptions. The greatest show on turf comes to mind, but that was an aberration.

everyone is clamoring about the line. we have $100M, not saying we spend it all, but getting a couple linemen in day 1 of FA is a hell of a lot better than the later rounds. You're protecting your franchise qb.

There are only a few offensive linemen in free agency worth signing and there are plenty of teams with much better rosters than the Dolphins who have plenty of cap space too.
I don’t see the Dolphins spending big on the top offensive linemen so they will probably just sign some average to below average offensive linemen and try to add some more offensive linemen in the draft.

Grier does not have a good history of signing quality free agents to begin with and he has done a lousy job especially in signing free agent offensive linemen. He hasn’t picked an offensive lineman past the first round who has been effective yet. So it might be wise if he tries to draft two offensive linemen in the first round if he does select a QB at 5.

Everyone is clamoring about the line simply because the Dolphins OL has been terrible for the last decade. Until they fix the OL and the defensive line, they aren’t going be anything but mediocre at best, no matter who they have at QB or who their WR’s are.

Trade up for Tua and I may finally divorce the Fins. NFL has evolved and we need a jack of all trades player on D that can cover the TE, stop the run and rush the passer. That guy is Isaiah Simmons. I’d rather trade 18 and 26 to move up for a QB that falls a bit or just wait until 18.

This is the deepest WR and RB draft that I can remember and people want to take them in round 1? Are you kidding?! We have holes at just about every single position. We better be building our lines.

Has nothing to do with what I want. I'm perfectly fine taking Herbert at #5.

I think a majority here would disagree, though.

On the other hand I, like many, don't want to draft a RB or WR in rd 1. I believe O-line, and some semblance of a pass rush are higher priorities.

Well, this class is poor at Edge, and pass rush won't matter for a team that lacks an explosive offense, but filling holes is fun, too.

Clearly after last night, Herbert is just as polished as Burrow and Tua.
Why go any further after this? The combine has done NOTHING to change the perception or assessment of Herbert. No **** the guy with all the physical tools but questionable in-game awareness is going to look good throwing in drills.

everyone is clamoring about the line. we have $100M, not saying we spend it all, but getting a couple linemen in day 1 of FA is a hell of a lot better than the later rounds. You're protecting your franchise qb.

I agree with this. There are a couple of young OLmen in FA to be had. We have the money- spend.

But even then, think about it. List the other positions that need help sooner than WR; QB, DE, CB, S, RB, LB. So, even still, WR would be last in the list.

But you are right. Opening up the checkbook in FA can leave us with flexibility in the draft and if one of those RBs or WRs are there for the taking, I’d be good with it. But only if we address oline first and foremost.

Lol I can’t stand it.

“Don’t trade up for a QB, trade for a player at our deepest position.”

“if we take a franchise QB at 5, I’m no longer a fan. We need to take a LB/S tweener at 5, and a project QB should be available at 18”

I like the idea of making sure a barn burner WR is on our shopping list. OP is right FA comes first, lets address the lines there as best as we can. I think automatically dismissing anything at this point is silly. We have the ammo, lets use it to make them as good as possible. I'm sure there's a hybrid idea that allows us to address line and add some more weaponry.

To me, if there's a chance to grab Tua or Herbert, Jones, Jeudy/Lamb and Dobbins then in 2nd round, I'm a happy guy. Might need to move around clearly. Trade up here with seconds to get into first round again then trade back for Dobbins.

This time of year, is like ordering drinks at a proper ****tail bar. Everyone likes a different formula as long as they all get drunk.

Has nothing to do with what I want. I'm perfectly fine taking Herbert at #5.

I think a majority here would disagree, though.

On the other hand I, like many, don't want to draft a RB or WR in rd 1. I believe O-line, and some semblance of a pass rush are higher priorities.

how is this escaping people? Why? It was on full display as the biggest weaknesses of the team last season.

Back
Top Bottom