Updated 2020 Draft Strategy: Stay at 5 and get 4 First Round Picks | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Updated 2020 Draft Strategy: Stay at 5 and get 4 First Round Picks

everyone is clamoring about the line. we have $100M, not saying we spend it all, but getting a couple linemen in day 1 of FA is a hell of a lot better than the later rounds. You're protecting your franchise qb.

Good luck with that, I would be ecstatic if one good one is available and signs here.

people say this every year, will just sign OL in free agency..

Thuney and Conklin are out there if we want to break the bank

As good as it gets

Well, this class is poor at Edge, and pass rush won't matter for a team that lacks an explosive offense, but filling holes is fun, too.
You do have a point about this class and the apparent dearth of pass rushers.

Putting off the O-line in favor of skill positions, though, is looking too much for short term excitement, rather than long term sustainable success.

Nobody said, or thought a real rebuild would be, to quote you, "fun".

Sometimes you have to take the bad tasting medicine, to get better.

Good luck with that, I would be ecstatic if one good one is available and signs here.

people say this every year, will just sign OL in free agency..

Sad but true people have been saying that every year since Wanny started the neglect. 2 decades and we are still shell shocked from the possible prospect of our organization lack or insight as to the value and more the need of a quality OL. I mean I'm sure most of us are sick and tired of writing about it for the millionth time.

IMO, there will be opportunities to get deffinitely one and probably more if they really want to. I think that is what worries me more, their view of need over availability. And the icing on the cake is we got the dough to get atleast one at any price (say Thuney ) if they so desire which in my book is a critical necessity. And at minimum one of our top picks trading to move up into the top 10 for another one.

People say it every year because they never did a friggin thing to stop people from stating the OBVIOUS..

What we signed an older quality guy like Sitton that actual improved things a little til he got hurt but that was about it in 20 years as far as FA's...

how is this escaping people? Why? It was on full display as the biggest weaknesses of the team last season.
As individuals, I'm sure the reasons vary. Theories differ on the best approach to build a team, but the simple answer is human nature.

Exciting over mundane. Shiney toys over clothes for Christmas.

Putting off the O-line in favor of skill positions, though, is looking too much for short term excitement, rather than long term sustainable success.

And that’s why this upcoming free agency draft is going to be poignant and most interesting. We’ve never placed value on building from within, does Grier have the balls to finally pull this off? Total focus should be on a new QB and the lines. If that happens skill positions will get better by default. Not that we can’t improve our skilled positions, but they could wait for one more offseason

This draft is loaded with wide receivers and running backs... absolutely loaded. So we do not have to break the bank and over draft to get impact players at those positions.

Oh ya...
Not that I have a problem with it but we did move "our" two best OL this season so I mean come on. We didn't have a good OL to begin with and we are releasing our 2 best. Not that James was a big lose but Tunsil would be.

Tunsil ( got great return for )
James ( not a star but our second best ).

You get rid of them, which weakens the OL even more and what ?
Do the old failed routine and pick up a couple hasbeen hole fillers like the past 20 years.
And then wonder why our QB's suck...RB's tackled in the backfield. 3-4th and 1 and we have about a 25% shot at getting it. Can't even evaluate a QB properly due to overwhelming constant pressure.

STOP !!!!!!!!!

They better figure out or rather work out bringing in a minimum of one outstanding FA OL and more like TWO....and high pick in draft for 1 .... Or maybe just put orange cones around the QB area with signs saying do not enter or we will cry, for that makes about as much sense as neglecting the importance of a huge, again HUGE upgrade to our OL....Its not even debatable or at least shouldn't be...

The "high value" positions historically in free agency, in no particular order, are QB's, Edge/DE's (pass-rushing), CB's and LT's. These tend to be the most costly FA acquisitions. Therefore, it's more advantageous for drafting these positions from a cap perspective as the cost is much lower relatively speaking and you have more flexibility from a contractual standpoint if you decide to release them before their contract to expires. Knowing this I can see us signing an interior lineman or two, and possibly a few second-tier guys at the higher value positions (excluding QB of course). I don't think we will see the deals that have strapped us in the past, they are building for the long haul. Any second-tier FA's will be on the younger side, possibly guys coming off their rookie contract who have been contributors but not necessarily household names. I don't expect any big splashes outside the interior Oline if any. IMO...

It is a great point and a topic that has been discussed at length...

It is very hard to get a quality pass rusher or a quality offensive lineman in free agency. Most teams that draft studs at these positions pay them and keep them until they are about 30 years old. At which point it is not a good idea to sign them to a multi year contract.

I think Thuney is only 27 so I would be okay with a 4 year contract... Structure it so the guaranteed money is gone after the first couple of years.. Pay him heavy year one while we have tons of money to spend.. So if we need to cut him when he is 30 we carry no cap hit.

I don't care how many spread offenses are out there with super athletic QBs, there are always critical moments in a game where you either have to run the ball to win the game or stop the run to win the game. If you're driving the ball with 2 minutes left and your down by 4 points and it's 4th and 1 you'll be pissed if you neglected your o-line again and you get stuffed. The other team jumps around and celebrates and you couldn't get a yard when you had to have it. The moral of this story-build us an o-line please. I do have faith in Flores, he knows that has to happen. Philbin and Gase totally whiffed on the o-line, the 2 worst coaches possible.

I think Thuney is only 27 so I would be okay with a 4 year contract... Structure it so the guaranteed money is gone after the first couple of years.. Pay him heavy year one while we have tons of money to spend.. So if we need to cut him when he is 30 we carry no cap hit.
I'd be on board with Thuney, he is still on the younger side of his career. Interior linemen seem to age well...

I didn't say anything about OL. That's definitely the top need.

Sometimes, lol... Sometimes would have been a gift. Hopefully the new Doctors we have prescribing the meds have a better understading of the sickness than the previous doz. prescription writers who we've been forced to swallow.
We have nonofensivelinus and they were giving us shots of QB-itus with a daily does of Runigbakathol.
Hmmm still sick ...When we just needed a good dose of that adanofensivlinus....

Hopefully the bad medicine and Dr Jekylls are behind us now and we are in the early stages of recovery, which should be bringing the "fun" back again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom