Updated 2020 Draft Strategy: Stay at 5 and get 4 First Round Picks | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Updated 2020 Draft Strategy: Stay at 5 and get 4 First Round Picks

Tua and Thomas as the first two picks would be an awesome start. Thomas might require a slight trade up.

I wonder if Henderson drops to #26? I'd even consider Swift or Taylor there.

If we get Tua there are three excellent OT's we can get but we'd have to move up from 18 + probably one of our seconds rdrs to get into the top 10. Wirfs (plays RT), Becton, Thomas, Wills played RT.

Wow if we could get Tua and one of those top OL, IMO that would be one hell of a first rd. and thats not even adding the 26 pk.

If we get Tua there are three excellent OT's we can get but we'd have to move up from 18 + probably one of our seconds rdrs to get into the top 10. Wirfs (plays RT), Becton, Thomas, Wills played RT.

Wow if we could get Tua and one of those top OL, IMO that would be one hell of a first rd. and thats not even adding the 26 pk.
I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. We need to draft a top tackle regardless of the QB, and if they have a certain guy in mind, a low rd1 + a rd2 is fine by me.

The ideal scenario is to stay at 5 and keep both our other first round picks. Personally, if Tua can be had in a move up, you need to do it. I know that it may not happen, we cannot control what Washington will do or what the Dolphins will do. If Tua somehow goes and the Dolphins are not the team to draft him I start to figure out which of the two other QBs (Herbert and Love) is someone I can mold and develop into the QB I want. Understand it is going to be a couple year process.

I don't move out of 18 and take the best tackle that happens to fall to that spot...Jackson, Jones, Niang. While having the best tackle in the NFL is nice, it is better to have a good group across the front...drafting one should be a priority, even if he is very good and not great. It is also more cost effective (watch when Tunsil is getting 20 plus a year).

26 seems like an ideal trade back spot, that is the pick I deal to move back for a extra second and 3rd and maybe a pick next year. At this point, I just look to add the best talent I can, I do not care about position...get talent...guard, tackle, LB, DB, WR, RB...The Dolphins are not in a position to "fill needs" except for the one we have (fortunately there is a ton of talent at those needs) already with pick 5 and 18. They need to be in the filling talent mindset. Get the best player you can at the pick you have. If it means adding another tackle, do it...WR, grab one...RB, hell yeah.

This is a multi-year rebuild. Uee free agency to star to fill needs and the draft to get talent over the next few year (or forever).

Agree. That would be a pretty dynamic start. Plus, with the $90 million in cap space Miami should be able to land maybe 4-5 starters.

Clearly after last night, Herbert is just as polished as Burrow and Tua. Miami needs to let the draft fall to them at 5. Moreover, when the run starts at WR, Miami needs to package those 2nd round picks and get involved with Lamb, Judy or Ruggs. That scenario would still have them with 3 picks, but if they wait later than that, it won't. You want a fast rebuild? Get a QB, RB, WR and an OT or DE in the first round
Don't worry about Mr. Negativity below. He thinks he knows it all.....

I think anyone can see that we have a pretty strong wide receiver room. Parker finally emerged! Ford looked just like Parker when he stepped in and Williams is a blossoming talent. Plus we have 2 shifty speed guys in Grant and Wilson. This team has an extreme need for a QB. The beginning of the draft will be all about QBs. 3 QBs could go in the top 5, 4 is possible so we need to go up and get our guy. I don't favor trading down because we already have too many picks. Let's use our bounty of cash and picks to Make The Dolphin's much better now.

The success of this draft will be based on whether Dolphins land Tua and what it will cost - if anything - beyond #5.
A capable OT will drop to #18.
You will have the option of a starting quality Center, WR, RB or FS at #26.

The success of this draft will be based on whether Dolphins land Tua and what it will cost - if anything - beyond #5.
A capable OT will drop to #18.
You will have the option of a starting quality Center, WR, RB or FS at #26.

Don't see the success of this Draft based basically on the Tua situation. Ya, it would be a disappointment but christ our Draft has more capabilities just in the first two rounds to build a solid foundation to move into the future with.

To the point to where our FO given such huge gifts and opportunity would have to be pretty damn clueless and work damn hard to screw it up...
Truth is no QB ? and the 5th and 18th picks (though expect to moved up from the 18 more than 5th) I don't want or expect or will accept "capable". I see two at the top of their position being hailed to come up to the podium after the commish say's " With the 5th pick and with the 18 or 10 or 9-8-7th pick the Miami Dolphins select "...
Just those 2 picks and throw in 26 Should if all there were (which is far from what we have to work with) IMO have made the draft a super success. And thats not even after we use up all our remaining picks....

No QB ya bummer but don't fool yourself because this Draft has an easy shot at being one of our best ever...
Dependent on our guys calling the shots....but again it should be pretty hard to screw up...

And as far as Tua if they really really want him he's ours. We have easily enough stuff to move wherever the hell they want and still have a very strong draft.

Last edited:
Don't see the success of this Draft based basically on the Tua situation. Ya, it would be a disappointment but christ our Draft has more capabilities just in the first two rounds to build a solid foundation to move into the future with.

To the point to where our FO given such huge gifts and opportunity would have to be pretty damn clueless and work damn hard to screw it up...
Truth is no QB ? and the 5th and 18th picks (though expect to moved up from the 18 more than 5th) I don't want or expect or will accept "capable". I see two at the top of their position being hailed to come up to the podium after the commish say's " With the 5th pick and with the 18 or 10 or 9-8-7th pick the Miami Dolphins select "...
Just those 2 picks and throw in 26 Should if all there were (which is far from what we have to work with) IMO have made the draft a super success. And thats not even after we use up all our remaining picks....

No QB ya bummer but don't fool yourself because this Draft has an easy shot at being one of our best ever...
Dependent on our guys calling the shots....but again it should be pretty hard to screw up...

And as far as Tua if they really really want him he's ours. We have easily enough stuff to move wherever the hell they want and still have a very strong draft.
I’m not so sure about Tua or confidence in our front office.
When we starting winning games, the Tua dream faded. It became realistic when Tua hurt his hip - but now Tua is healthy.
If I’m Detroit or Washington- why not take him?

I’m not so sure about Tua or confidence in our front office.
When we starting winning games, the Tua dream faded. It became realistic when Tua hurt his hip - but now Tua is healthy.
If I’m Detroit or Washington- why not take him?

FO whether we all like it or not is still in their own evaluation phase by us Fans. Or atleast they should be.
We have no real idea of exactly how high they grade Tua or even their evaluations of the top 3 or 4 QB's.
Tua is healthy is also a judgement call only by a few Doctors, which make it more accurate but still a judgement call.

Don't see Detroit or Washington in the QB race they seem content with the ones they got, but their position in the Draft makes them a player for us (trade wise with another team that does need and want one could be our problem)
One advantage we got besides lots of ammo to do whatever we want is our 5 spot. Atleast for Detroit that wants and probably can still get Okudah if traded with us at 5. Washington is drooling over Young so it should'nt be a mind blower if they stay pat or just want a Kings ransom.
Truthfully the Raiders are my biggest concern. They have two first rd picks (12, 19) that I could see Gruden playing around with probably Detroit. But then Detroit would have to forget about Okudah which I'm not sure they would want to do. Hey get your popcorn ready cause were in for a fair dose of excitement soon enough...

How did that work with Jake Long? I saw that movie - no need for sequel.
QB no matter what.

Jake long was an injury prone bum, no comparison to a freak like Big Ticket. Unless you want your new shiny toy toy get his teeth knocked out you go get him some protection FIRST then you get the QB. Find out if Rosen has a future or move on from him.

Jake long was an injury prone bum, no comparison to a freak like Big Ticket. Unless you want your new shiny toy toy get his teeth knocked out you go get him some protection FIRST then you get the QB. Find out if Rosen has a future or move on from him.
Long was injury prone, but IIRC, not in college. I wouldn't consider him a bum. A bum, to me, means a guy that's lazy, and doesn't give 100%.

Long was just unlucky, when healthy a very good tackle.

As far as riding with Rosen, I don't have a problem with it. If Flo thinks it us a viable option, who am I to argue? He has shown the ability evaluate players so far.

I also agree that having an at least average O-line is necessary no matter who is behind center.

I would not draft Hebert at #5. He is a great athlete and has great technical skills but leadership skills and weak in reading defenses and progressions beyond number 1 choice. They basically comparing him to Tannehill and Tannenbum loves him. What does that tell you? If Tannenbum were still here Hebert would definitely be the pick. Why do you think the whole organization showed up to the Alabama bowl game just to watch TUA stand on the sideline.

Back
Top Bottom