Updated 2020 Draft Strategy: Stay at 5 and get 4 First Round Picks | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Updated 2020 Draft Strategy: Stay at 5 and get 4 First Round Picks

Fine with staying at 5 but losing valuable picks to draft a WR which is probably our best position and might be one of the best, youngest most talented group maybe in the league. You have two big bodied alphas in Williams and Parker, two speed guys in Wilson and Grant with two possession guys ford and hurns all either average to above average in their category of wr #1,2,3,4 etc

Wasn't the point of acquiring all these picks to build through the draft and not have to rely on free agents? I feel like we're getting ahead of ourselves thinking this should be a quick turnaround. We still have 4 picks in the first two rounds in 2021 as well. To start sacrificing value and blow up our cap now, all in the hopes that rookies and free agents will immediately turn this team around seems like a bad idea.

These are the four logical scenarios:

1. DL/EDGE in FA, QB @ #5 1st RD, then OL with other two 1st RD picks. RB and DB and WR/LB/NICKEL CB mid and late rounds.

2. OL in FA, Draft BPA @ #5, QB @ #18, trade down #26 and get 2/3 picks for 2nd/3rd rounds. Stockpile DL/EDGE in 2/3 rounds.

3. QB in FA, Trade down from #5, and take BPA with each current pick and acquired pick from trade down, through round 3.

4. Drink heavily and pray.

Last edited:
Wasn't the point of acquiring all these picks to build through the draft and not have to rely on free agents? I feel like we're getting ahead of ourselves thinking this should be a quick turnaround. We still have 4 picks in the first two rounds in 2021 as well. To start sacrificing value and blow up our cap now, all in the hopes that rookies and free agents will immediately turn this team around seems like a bad idea.

Acquiring the picks was help to build with the draft not just the draft. Cap built to, one pay for the Draft picks but also give us added help (which is essentially needed also) to bring in quality, proven and experienced players.
Its like saying we need a QB and not a OL or a OL and not a QB. Both are critically important and essential for success.
Blow up our cap now stop...come on. We've got 80 -90 mil dollars to work with and can do a humongous job just in FA without even screwing up the future....I think we are in the best cap situation we've even been in our history ( thank you Trump lol)....

Not using it and yes properly is like having two good arms and only using one ....
The point is to build a contender in the realistic shortest time possible. Football were the purpose is to win a Superbowl and not a Draft.

My sentiments exactly. If ever there was a time to stay the course, this is it. There is no sustainable quick fix, and if we tried that via free agency, we would almost certainly end upright where we started. With a 7-9, 9-7 team, in cap purgatory.

These are the four logical scenarios:

1. DL/EDGE in FA, QB @ #5 1st RD, then OL with other two 1st RD picks. RB and DB and WR/LB/NICKEL CB mid and late rounds.

2. OL in FA, Draft BPA @ #5, QB @ #18, trade down #26 and get 2/3 picks for 2nd/3rd rounds. Stockpile DL/EDGE in 2/3 rounds.

3. QB in FA, Trade down from #5, and take BPA with each current pick and acquired pick from trade down, through round 3.

4. Drink heavily and pray.
I'm not sure that those are the only scenarios, but I think the whole situation is fluid. What happens in FA will affect our draft strategy to some degree. Perhaps not the #5 pick, but late firsts and seconds will most certainly be based on what we were able to accomplish in the FA signings.

Building up the roster overnight to compete next year shouldn't be our plan. Scoring maximum value with each draft slot we have should be while enhancing future draft stocks. So short sighted to want to trade up this year when we should be doing the opposite.

We are in an incredible position to flip picks for better valued picks in future draft picks. Setting ourselves up to dominate the 2021, 2022 and 2023 drafts is the only "strategy" I'm on board with.

Staying away from WR's in the first round is without question the way to go right now.

Forgetting the need we have at QB, we need a minimum of 4 new starting OL (and that's being nice) and two pass rushers. We're gonna break the bank for that and best case fill half of those needs? Not likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo the draft strategy this year should be based on two (potentially competing) goals. (1) Get a QB and (2) Add as much talent as possible, regardless of position. I don't think any position other than QB should be prioritized if it sacrifices value. Just about every position can be upgraded.

Balance those two goals as best you can with the way the draft falls imo. Worry about filling holes in 2022 once we actually have some real talent on the field that can take over games.

Imo the draft strategy this year should be based on two (potentially competing) goals. (1) Get a QB and (2) Add as much talent as possible, regardless of position. I don't think any position other than QB should be prioritized if it sacrifices value. Just about every position can be upgraded.

Balance those two goals as best you can with the way the draft falls imo. Worry about filling holes in 2022 once we actually have some real talent on the field that can take over games.
I agree with this except there has to be a curve towards the Oline.
It’s the most important unit outside QB.
It protects the most important unit.
Balance of FA/ Draft towards OL.

I agree with this except there has to be a curve towards the Oline.
It’s the most important unit outside QB.
It protects the most important unit.
Balance of FA/ Draft towards OL.

Maybe but I don't think it's necessary considering Fitz is likely going to start next year. Whether it's Tua, Herbert, or Love I doubt the new QB starts year one. I hope there's some value at OL for some of the Phins picks but if not I'd rather not reach, even a little.

I don't really understand the level of paranoia or rather overly concern with using the appropriate amount of resources we acquired from tearing down a large part of the team especially this year that we have accumulated. We have enough resources even in my vague knowledge and limited understanding of exact figures to sign 1 or 2 top shelf cap limit guys (atleast) without even a spec of hindrance in doing a lot more with the added available Cap space in FA quality while still having little to no negative effect on the Future. Saved future cap space is just as much of a part of the rebuild and decision making as is the aquisition of talent.
I understand concern with being responsible but we have a boatload of assets and cap like never before to do a significant rebuild this year. And find it just as irresponsible if these assets are not used properly.
Personally if we get one top OL FA, one DL or edge rusher in FA
In the Draft, Tua or Love and a top 3 OL and I'd be happy with that..( I expect a heck of a lot more but this little bit would be a nice start)

But realistically in addition we have enough to built a significant foundation without screwing up the future what so ever.
We as Fans along with the organization have sacrificed significantly this year and now responsibly have the ability to easily blow us away with not just one but IMO several potential moves that will be available for us to take atvantage of if they want, for solid foundation going into the second year of the continuing rebuild..

Last edited:
Reactions: BSQ
Thinking more trading 18 and a 2nd to get into the top 10 for one of the best OT's. Keeping 26 hoping for that ace DL, DE rusher being there.
ideally Tua at 5. Trade up from 18, maybe Wirls (plays RT) or one of the other top 2 OT's in the top 10 .
And Im all set and thats not even counting the 26 pk.
Tua and Thomas as the first two picks would be an awesome start. Thomas might require a slight trade up.

I wonder if Henderson drops to #26? I'd even consider Swift or Taylor there.

I don't really understand the level of paranoia or rather overly concern with using the appropriate amount of resources we acquired from tearing down a large part of the team especially this year that we have accumulated. We have enough resources even in my vague knowledge and limited understanding of exact figures to sign 1 or 2 top shelf cap limit guys (atleast) without even a spec of hindrance in doing a lot more with the added available Cap space in FA quality while still having little to no negative effect on the Future. Saved future cap space is just as much of a part of the rebuild and decision making as is the aquisition of talent.
I understand concern with being responsible but we have a boatload of assets and cap like never before to do a significant rebuild this year. And find it just as irresponsible if these assets are not used properly.
Personally if we get one top OL FA, one DL or edge rusher in FA
In the Draft, Tua or Love and a top 3 OL and I'd be happy with that..( I expect a heck of a lot more but this little bit would be a nice start)

But realistically in addition we have enough to built a significant foundation without screwing up the future what so ever.
We as Fans along with the organization have sacrificed significantly this year and now responsibly have the ability to easily blow us away with not just one but IMO several potential moves that will be available for us to take atvantage of if they want, for solid foundation going into the second year of the continuing rebuild..

Because we have very little talent. Howard and Parker are probably the only two quality starters on this roster, and they aren't exactly beacons of health. Maybe an argument can be made for a couple others but this team needs a near complete overhaul, not just a few more pieces.

Back
Top Bottom