Victory lap for Tannehill fans | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Victory lap for Tannehill fans

Looks more like the Russell Wilson MVP victory lap to me for all you QB “experts” lmfao.

That damn Josh Allen looked pretty good didn't he.....imagine that.

At least Russell Wilson's first 11 possessions weren't punts, field goals, or interceptions on the way to getting trounced by a team that doesn't even have a head coach like Drew Lock did Sunday.

Look son - I already told you you're running out of chances. You're either going to have to hurry up and show me something or I have no choice but to quit replying and toss you into the LargoFin bin. Simple as that.

Tannehill appears to be reverting to the QB he was with the Dolphins. He is good enough to keep a team from getting a high draft pick but not good enough to lead a team to the SB. Take Henry off the Titans and they are just an 8-8 team with Tannehill as their QB. The best move Grier and Flores have made in the last two years was to get rid of Tannehill so they could put the organization in position to draft Tua.

I wish Tannehill nothing but the best in Tennessee but I am so happy he is no longer the QB of the Dolphins.

Tannehill is what he is. That’s not a QB who will win single handily. Shut down Henry and there’s no chance

Tannehill appears to be reverting to the QB he was with the Dolphins. He is good enough to keep a team from getting a high draft pick but not good enough to lead a team to the SB. Take Henry off the Titans and they are just an 8-8 team with Tannehill as their QB. The best move Grier and Flores have made in the last two years was to get rid of Tannehill so they could put the organization in position to draft Tua.

I wish Tannehill nothing but the best in Tennessee but I am so happy he is no longer the QB of the Dolphins.

There’s no ‘reverting‘ to it. He is what he has always been. A mediocre QB that plays above that level from time to time.

As I’ve tried and tried to get through to the hyperbole crowd is that he’s never been a QB that can consistently succeed when defenses know he has to sling it every down.

Like most every capable and worthwhile NFL QB, he is good throwing the ball from a position of strength. Meaning when his team is running the ball well and the opposition’s defense is on their heels trying to stop it and he’s throwing when he doesn’t have to — rather than out of necessity — he’s good.

When his team isn’t running the ball effectively and he has to sling it to win it — he’s not the guy.

It’s really that freaking simple. But a faction of stubborn fans either aren’t football educated enough to recognize it or are just in fanboy denial. Perhaps for some, it’s a bit of both.

I’ll bet much of the pro-Tannehill crowd are the same ones that bought into the notion that Ryan Fitzpatrick was somehow playing much better than he really was and that he wasn’t going to eventually implode like he always has for 15 years.

Last edited:
There’s no ‘reverting‘ to it. He is what he has always been. A mediocre QB that plays above that level from time to time.

As I’ve tried and tried to get through to the hyperbole crowd is that he’s never been a QB that can consistently succeed when defenses know he has to sling it every down.

Like most every capable and worthwhile NFL QB, he is good throwing the ball from a position of strength. Meaning when his team is running the ball well and the opposition’s defense is on their heels trying to stop it and he’s throwing when he doesn’t have to — rather than out of necessity — he’s good.

When his team isn’t running the ball effectively and he has to sling it to win it — he’s not the guy.

It’s really that freaking simple. But a faction of stubborn fans either aren’t football educated enough to recognize it or are just in fanboy denial. Perhaps for some, it’s a bit of both.

I’ll bet much of the pro-Tannehill crowd are the same ones that bought into the notion that Ryan Fitzpatrick was somehow playing much better than he really was and that he wasn’t going to eventually implode like he always has for 15 years.

Well, golly. Aren’t you just the bright one.

As much as some of the people in this thread are of the outlier opinion that Tannehill is an elite QB, the majority of the people who post here are simply enjoying the destruction of the opposite narrative. That narrative is that Tannehill was a sub-par QB and the biggest problem with the Dolphins during his tenure with the team.

If you lack the nuance to pick that up, that’s on you.

What baffles me is the predilection that some have to gravitate toward a QB who slings it around all day, every weekend. That’s not a recipe for success.

Take a look at the most pass attempts in a game in NFL history. It’s littered with some of the best QB in the history of the game. Roethlisberger. Brees. Rivers. Brady. Marino. Young. Kosar.

They slung it around all day. They had to. And you know what else they did?

They lost. 75% of the time. Putting a QB in that position is setting him up to fail. And that is what Miami did to Tannehill for 7 years.

I'm happy for Tannehill that he's found success in Tenn but we desperately needed to make a change. If you're team is down 10/14/17 points in the 4th you're still gonna have a hard time coming back with Tannehill at the helm imo

Even with the extra snark the general point is correct.

I was a huge Tannehill fan when he was here and I am glad he is having success so far with the Titans. You can win with Ryan Tannehill but its rare you can win because of him... as in solely because of him.

He works in a system. Tennessee has a great system for him. I bet he would look great with the Vikings and 9ers as well... maybe even the Browns or Rams. Teams that want to win with the run first and build the pass off of that.

In offenses where he would be asked to do more? He would have ups and downs

Forgive my ignorance, but could some please tell me what "win because of him" means?

I feel like for however good RT plays, it's never because of him that the team wins to some people. RT is compared this archetypical quarterback that probably doesn't exist. There is no quarterback that need didn't need a good team to win consistently. So Russel Wilson, is pretty good right? but when his line doesn't play well, his receivers don't get open fast enough, he gets buffaloed by Buffalo in Buffalo. When the team around him does play, he does well and now they are winning "because of him"?

For however good/mediocre/bad RT is, saying things like that you can win because of him is at best asinine, if not completely incorrect given the numbers he has put up and the number of comeback wins - all of which are traditional QB goodness stats.

I think you all have Dolphins RT Trauma or (DRTT) The player you remember was coached by: Adam Gase and Joe Philbin - enough said.

I'm happy for Tannehill that he's found success in Tenn but we desperately needed to make a change. If you're team is down 10/14/17 points in the 4th you're still gonna have a hard time coming back with Tannehill at the helm imo

I'm not completely defending Tannehill. I think he is a good (not great) NFL QB. he is a capable starter, but not a superstar. In Miami, he had garbage for coaching. He still improved every year (even the years he was injured, he showed progress over the previous season). We have seen what Gase is as a coach. The team made a playoff appearance in 2016, but it seemed like almost everything went well that year for Miami (save for the Tannehill injury). Jay Ajayi caught fire and the defense played well. Other than 2016, Gase has proven to be a poor head coach. Philbin was an absolute train wreck.

Even with the extra snark the general point is correct.

I was a huge Tannehill fan when he was here and I am glad he is having success so far with the Titans. You can win with Ryan Tannehill but its rare you can win because of him... as in solely because of him.

He works in a system. Tennessee has a great system for him. I bet he would look great with the Vikings and 9ers as well... maybe even the Browns or Rams. Teams that want to win with the run first and build the pass off of that.

In offenses where he would be asked to do more? He would have ups and downs
He'd look better on teams with an offensive system at all. Some of the worst offenses in the league are helmed by his former coaches.

Excuses are tools of the incompetent,

used to build monuments of nothingness.

Those who specialize in their usage are seldom good for anything but,

Excuses, excuses, and more excuses.

I’m curious to see where Tannehill goes from here. His offensive line is falling apart to the point where Jamil Douglas, part of the famous “passing blood line” is getting snaps for Tennessee. That Colts game felt like a Dolphins game circa 2012 - 2018 to me. Also, I’m so sick of hearing about how great AJ Brown is only to see him disappear time and time again. Tannehill could have used his GREAT young WR to make some plays.

Back
Top Bottom