Waddle on the cusp of 1,000 yard rookie season | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Waddle on the cusp of 1,000 yard rookie season

We trade back, acquired more picks, and got an impact receiver. Sounds good to me. Stats are not the be all and end all of a situation. The impact he has on the offense is more important than the stats. Gesicki and Waddle carry this offense on their backs. Given all the spacing errors, either the coaching is poor or the other receivers do not listen in class. I am shocked anyone is unhappy with the pick, but obviously some of you are unhappy.
So you think a small, speedy WR is worth a top 12 pick, a top 5 pick, and a 4th round pick?

No WR has ever fetched that much in the history of the NFL, much less a small speed guy.

I’m not unhappy with Waddle, it’s too early to tell. But I’m very unhappy with what we gave up to pick him. It’s absurd.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer here, but he's had a few significant drops and I haven't seen that big play yet....or even the YAC we were all hoping for.

He's doing good for a rook with bad OL and QB play, but I'm not seeing why we gave up 2 1st rounders to move up.

It's obvious he can catch the ball and get open. Anyway you slice it if you get 1,000 yards as a rookie receiver that's pretty impressive. That said, what the Dolphins did to draft him, and how they've used him, really suggests they thought he'd be electric with the ball in his hands. I think they really envisioned a guy who could turn short passes into long gains regularly. And unfortunately he doesn't show any ability to make defenders miss or get past them after the catch.

The production is something to be excited about. Happy to have him on the team. But, through no fault of his own, I think the front office and coaching staff evaluated Waddle to be able to things he hasn't been able to do on the NFL field.
Agreed. I have yet to see a play where he made someone miss and took the ball an extra 10yds after the catch.

For all the hype and picks we gave up, I am somewhat underwhelmed right now. Actually kinda feel like this is another Grier gaff...

Waddle has not made many people miss this season. He did have a minor fracture of his fibula near the ankle which he played on in the championship game. Not sure if that limits his elusiveness, but I am willing to wait until his performance next year.

Agreed. I have yet to see a play where he made someone miss and took the ball an extra 10yds after the catch.

For all the hype and picks we gave up, I am somewhat underwhelmed right now. Actually kinda feel like this is another Grier gaff...
He's had a handful of times that he has this year. I too am frustrated what we gave up considering the way the season has went, however how can we truly evaluate any player considering the dumpster fire that are offenses been. And with that being said I could remember for geisicki's first two years he was labeled an absolute bust by more than half this forum. We've been bad for a really long time so I understand the difficulty of patience, but some players do need time as well as good coaching and they become a special after they get those things.

He's had a handful of times that he has this year. I too am frustrated what we gave up considering the way the season has went, however how can we truly evaluate any player considering the dumpster fire that are offenses been. And with that being said I could remember for geisicki's first two years he was labeled an absolute bust by more than half this forum. We've been bad for a really long time so I understand the difficulty of patience, but some players do need time as well as good coaching and they become a special after they get those things.
Gesicki was like a lot of rookies, struggling to find himself his first year. That's very common at TE and also common at receiver. The thing is, Waddle has found his footing in the league. He has had some struggles being careless with the ball, failing to reel in some catches he should have gotten, but that really popped up in the first month of the season and hasn't even been an issue recently. His inability to get away from defenders - I mean its not something happening because he's just a struggling rookie. Guys struggle because they have trouble learning new offense, they have trouble honing their techniques against better coverage, they have trouble being asked to to things they weren't asked to do in college, and because they have to do more to fight for catches in tight windows than they would in college. Getting away from a defender is really just a case of athleticism and ability. You don't really become significantly, faster, shiftier, and more elusive, though you can become marginally stronger with effort.

I've reviewed Waddle tape again and he is fast enough on the NFL field that if given some good space in stride he'll make good plays. Those things would come into play more if he was playing on an honest offense, not one that can't protect, throw deep, or run the ball. But his elusiveness and a certain ability to get going again once he's stopped, it's below average, and I do think the Dolphins expected that to play a lot better on the field than it did when he was drafted.

I like Waddle but I'm not impressed with after the catch. Seems the vision ain't there yet. But hopefully he goes off soon.
Agreed, he does nothing after the catch. He just doesn’t look as explosive as I thought he would be.
That said, I’m Very happy with Waddle so far.

Gisecki was a second round pick. Waddle cost us more than most franchise QBs do. The expectations should not be comparable.

For us to have spent what we spent for him, and then to only be able to use him the way he's been used is a travesty. There is no possible way Grier and Flo planned for Waddle to be a high volume catch low YPC and low YAC type guy spending that much draft capital to get him.

Back
Top Bottom