Well... it's mock draft time. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well... it's mock draft time.

Richardson has intoxicating potential. He’ll make some team race to the podium. I’m not sure that team will be Miami with its limited draft resources, though. Wouldn’t be surprised if Carolina picks him at #9 or moves up a smidge if they fear another team leapfrogging them.

I agree that Richardson is the lottery ticket of this Draft, he could pay off big down the line. More likely he doesn't as most of these type of "projects" don't.

And I agree that Tua is a major worry both in terms of his short term availablity and his long term health.

IF the Fins had more Draft picks I would be much more in favor of betting on the kid, but Miami is a playoff caliber team and should be using their limited draft resources to help the team now.

I think I would feel better with a legit backup QB behind him than to throw those kind of assets at Richardson, and that is assuming that Howard and his contract would get you that high which I doubt.

Why would Atlanta want a very expensive CB who only has a few good years left in him?

Curious, when you think of Anthony Richardson not working out, who are the similar examples that come to mind? Not trying to put you on the spot, but when I think of similar prospects, all the guys met or exceeded expectations. He's most similar to Allen and Newton, but he looks faster than either.

I can think of a lot of busts who had big arms, but I have a hard time remembering an athlete and playmaker like Richardson failing to translate.

The trade is silly. No reason for Atlanta to take that deal.

I wouldn't say a 2nd, a 1st, and an aging CB is going all in, but it just depends on how you view Richardson as a prospect and how confident you are that Tua will protect himself. Miami just shipped off a 1st for a DE.
I think you're spot in with your evaluation of Richardson. Have to believe he could excel in a McDaniel offense.

What other quarterbacks do you like? I haven't done a deep dive on the position.

Jake Locker, Logan Thomas, Deshone Kizer come to mind. Maybe Winston. Same for Will Levis.
For QBs who could not run the offense, could not hit the broad side of a barn on time,. had great arm and athletic ability, and every snap was a strife.

Last edited:
I think you're spot in with your evaluation of Richardson. Have to believe he could excel in a McDaniel offense.

What other quarterbacks do you like? I haven't done a deep dive on the position.

Love Young's game, but I do worry about his size - particularly since he's not particularly fast or explosive. Don't like Levi's game that much, but I think he's a better athlete than given credit, you can build something around his strengths imo. Somewhere between Herbert and Tannehill but closer to Tannehill. I don't love Stroud. To me he's in the mold of Goff, Mac Jones, Rosen, Haskins. If he proves to be more athletic than that, I'll reconsider his standing. To me, though, he's the least interesting QB of the group - and probably doesn't deserve to be considered part of the group.

I haven't given most of the QB's a hard look yet. But, I feel pretty comfortable with these guys and Hooker - who is not exciting as a prospect imo.

Richardson is definitely #1

Between Young and Levis, I think it really depends on your team and offense, but both offer enough to make an early investment - assuming the situation is right. For Levis, I'd want big, physical targets (Atlanta?), and I'd want a great OL for Young. He navigates the pocket well, but his size could see him overwhelmed without good pass blocking. He plays more similar to Burrow than Tua, so I don't think he'd mitigate a bad OL as consistently as Tua does.

I see varying degrees of elite traits in the top 3, but I don't know if I see any in Stroud. Could be a me-problem.

Jake Locker, Logan Thomas, Deshone Kizer come to mind. Maybe Winston. Same for Will Levis.
For QBs who could not run the offense, could not hit the broad side of a barn on time,. had great arm and athletic ability, and every snap was a strife.

You may want to look a little closer at these. None of these guys had his combination of physical tools and playmaking.

Not comparing Richardson to anyone else in terms of traits or measurables, but how many QB's who needed to be coached up have really panned out.

Tools guys who showed flashes but were not close to being ready to play in the NFL.

Josh Allen is the only guy that comes to mind for me, I am not including Mahomes, he put up huge numbers in college.

Remember we are talking about a guy like that becoming a stud QB, not just a decent starter. You are not trading up for a decent starter.I thin he is most likely to become a guy who never quite puts it all together but is not a total bust.

I just don't think it is a gamble Miami can afford to make. if they had more picks, or if they did not have a quality QB(Tua was great this year but for his durability issues)then I would be all for taking a shot on a talent like Richardson.

You might be right about him going that high though, I think we will see 4 QB's in the Top 10. Unless Levis slides.

Not comparing Richardson to anyone else in terms of traits or measurables, but how many QB's who needed to be coached up have really panned out.

Tools guys who showed flashes but were not close to being ready to play in the NFL.

Josh Allen is the only guy that comes to mind for me, I am not including Mahomes, he put up huge numbers in college.

Remember we are talking about a guy like that becoming a stud QB, not just a decent starter. You are not trading up for a decent starter.I thin he is most likely to become a guy who never quite puts it all together but is not a total bust.

I just don't think it is a gamble Miami can afford to make. if they had more picks, or if they did not have a quality QB(Tua was great this year but for his durability issues)then I would be all for taking a shot on a talent like Richardson.

You might be right about him going that high though, I think we will see 4 QB's in the Top 10. Unless Levis slides.
Next year is probably the time to get a quarterback if Tua once again can't stay on the field. Realistically, for Miami to trade up would probably be closer to three #1 picks. Look what SF gave up to get into position for Trey Lance. And the Dolphins first pick is at 52 this year.

I do worry about Tua, though, and agree with other posters who have called for a better backup option. It amazes me the drop from Tua to Bridgewater. I didn't think it would be that steep. The bottom line, the Dolphins went 8-4 with Tua and 1-4 without him.

That's why I'd consider someone like Tanner McKee if he starts getting closer to 52. I think he has traits that could work well in McDaniel's system, most noticeably his accuracy.

Next season is such a big year for Tua and Miami.

We know he can play at a high level(he was #1 in 3 important QB metrics) but he has to answer the bell more often.

I wish i was more confident in the OL protecting him and Tua protecting himself.

I think McKee is a great candidate to out perform his Draft spot.

He had NOTHING around him at Stanford. He is every bit the pure passer that Stroud is in this class.

He sees the field, processes and throw accurately, on time and with a super quick release. Sadly he is not much of an athlete, but that is my only knock.

He may be one of the steals of this Draft.

But with Miami a legit playoff team I can't see them using their 2nd rounder on him, they need to add a few guys who can help sooner than later.

IF he is sitting there when Miami is on the clock that would be a tough call, but I don't think they can use that pick on an insurance policy.

I agree with you that next year would be the time if they know they can't count on Tua.

I think McKee is a great candidate to out perform his Draft spot.

He had NOTHING around him at Stanford. He is every bit the pure passer that Stroud is in this class.

He sees the field, processes and throw accurately, on time and with a super quick release. Sadly he is not much of an athlete, but that is my only knock.

He may be one of the steals of this Draft.

But with Miami a legit playoff team I can't see them using their 2nd rounder on him, they need to add a few guys who can help sooner than later.

IF he is sitting there when Miami is on the clock that would be a tough call, but I don't think they can use that pick on an insurance policy.

I agree with you that next year would be the time if they know they can't count on Tua.
I agree with this. The dilemma is trying to get a better backup with a challenging salary cap situation. Hopefully, Thompson will continue to develop. I wouldn't bring back Bridgewater.

I also have no idea currently what the 2024 quarterback draft looks like. Certainly would understand the pick if Miami took McKee at 52, or another quarterback a little later.

Bridgewater killed them this year.

IF he had played well in Tua's absence this season could have been quite different, no way do i want to see him back.

Not sure who i would want from a FA QB crop, I am intrigued by Baker Mayfield, I think he could do well with McDaniel.Not sure what he would cost though.

Imo it doesn't make sense to compare him to QB's who lack his physical tools - particularly when the small sample of guys who come closest have been significantly more successful than the general 1st RD and Top 10 QB populations. Most of them were labeled as projects, not accurate enough, or lacking in some way.

So that's the rub for me. Do the tools guys who showed flashes have tools similar to Richardson? Do they put similar pressure on opposing defenses, and do they provide similar options to their playcallers?

Imo, it comes down to installing an offense in which he can run, and have a few throws in the playbook he can make, including some deep bombs since the offense will be run focused. Akin to Buff and Balt. Let him have fun and run, and I think that is the only recipe for success. Then, maybe, in many years, he can become a QB relying on his arm to win and lead the team. But first, just let him run and have fun.
He also should play, because that is the only way to get better. He must play, and inevitably he will keep losing games. And hopefully it does not affect him because either the defense can carry him through tough times or he will have tons of fun running the ball and that will carry him through tough times.
This is also the Bears approach with Fields, to just go out there and have a blast, and not worry about wins. 4-13, no problem.

Last edited:
Richardson has not been accurate. Maybe, with better coaching he can become more accurate. Young and Stroud are very accurate. I just couldn’t in good faith rank Richardson any higher than third.

Back
Top Bottom