What do you guys think? Is this tank unethical? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you guys think? Is this tank unethical?

Dolphins unethical?

• Total voters
Depends on your definition of tanking. I view it as the coach and players purposely throwing games. I don't see that. Not having good enough players at every position is not a tank. Every team suffers from that somewhere on their roster. We have a higher percentage of below average players in starting positions than most teams. Is that unethical? Absolutely not.

It is unethical towards fans and players, IMO. Proponents of the tank believe the players should be cool with losing because they are getting paid. If the Dolphins were competitive and a player doesn’t play his hardest but is still getting paid for sub par work, fans get angry and comments like “they should turn in their paychecks this week” abound. The same is true for fans who go to games, pay a bunch of money, but the team barely shows up to play. Fans get irritated and feel like they got robbed.

That has all changed now that the tank is in effect. Now, players should just go through the motions and collect a check. It’s ok, in fact, preferred to perform poorly, as long as a player doesn’t complain. Keep your mouth shut and just be happy you get a check for losing. Fans should be happy to support deliberate losing because it will lead to something better someday. The team didn’t bring players on to lose, they just decided to remove everyone with talent so it would be impossible to overcome. The team didn’t tell fans their plan was to lose every single game this year and trade away all the talent they have, they just did it and expect people to be fine with it.

The Dolphins tank job is unethical because it is the exact opposite of everything sports is intended to be. Players are being taken advantage of and fans are too. It didn’t have to be this way, either. The team didn’t have to cut everyone this year, nor did they have to trade everyone away to get their QB. The Colts didn’t do that to get Luck. The real unethical part of it is, who knows how long it will take to recover. We have cut so deep that even if we hit 100% on our picks, we will still need years to bounce back. If we average 50% or less like most teams, tankers will be posting about the glory days a decade ago when we used to at least be over .500.

Yep. I hate it, and I’m embarrassed by it. It’s a cheap way to (hopefully) get good. I’d absolutely hate it if another team was going it as blatantly as the Dolphins. I’d probably even be wondering why the league are allowing it. But I do get why it’s being done.

I reserve the right to change my opinion in the future dependant on results. If we’re in a Super Bowl in 3 years I won’t be complaining.

I am Sixers fan too. Took them about 6-7 years to get to this point. I'm also an Astros fan, their tank took about six years to come to fruition. Not sure if can withstand 5 to 6 years of that with the Dolphins without distancing myself from the team. Though my fandom for the Dolphins is on entirely differnt level compared to my other teams so I am sure I will stay for the punishment.

I hear you. But like I said I think it takes less time to pull the super tank and turn it around in the NFL. As someone said earlier, the league is making it all about the QB. So we can just tank to make sure we get that franchise QB. If we hit, the tank was well worth it and shouldn't take to long too build a solid team. It's all about the execution. Is Grier the guy to do this? Let's face it, nobody knows.

Nope. Plain and simple. It's been done since Luck came out and nothing was done about it, so nothing should be done about it now. Even though they can't prove a thing since the deals we've gotten have been borderline irresistible.

I hear you. But like I said I think it takes less time to pull the super tank and turn it around in the NFL. As someone said earlier, the league is making it all about the QB. So we can just tank to make sure we get that franchise QB. If we hit, the tank was well worth it and shouldn't take to long too build a solid team. It's all about the execution. Is Grier the guy to do this? Let's face it, nobody knows.
Yeah teams turn it around in the NFL without tanking. It's not an easy thing to accomplish, sounds easy on paper but you really need the perfect storm from top of the organization down to the long snapper. Yeah we've got a few extra picks in the draft but every other team is trying to get better also. Sometimes it takes rookies 3 to 4 years to blossom. I think even getting a star qb this tank process is going to take a minimum of three years to even be competitive. It's a loooooong road ahead and we just pulled out of the driveway.

I heard that the NFL achieved parody (along with ethics - before this season).....if the have achieved parody how come NE has won 6 SB (going to 9 total) in the last 20 years and pretty much owned our division. Doesn't seem like parody to me. Screw the NFL and Vegas.

Yeah teams turn it around in the NFL without tanking. It's not an easy thing to accomplish, sounds easy on paper but you really need the perfect storm from top of the organization down to the long snapper. Yeah we've got a few extra picks in the draft but every other team is trying to get better also. Sometimes it takes rookies 3 to 4 years to blossom. I think even getting a star qb this tank process is going to take a minimum of three years to even be competitive. It's a loooooong road ahead and we just pulled out of the driveway.
I disagree. I think if you hit on the QB which you'll know whether you did within the first year more often than not, we then also have a bazillion picks and salary cap space to spend on offensive and defensive lineman. Having a good QB and lines that can run/stop the run is all you need initially to start being competitive. That could happen as soon as next season.

I heard that the NFL achieved parody (along with ethics - before this season).....if the have achieved parody how come NE has won 6 SB (going to 9 total) in the last 20 years and pretty much owned our division. Doesn't seem like parody to me. Screw the NFL and Vegas.
I think you mean parity. New England keeps winning because the AFC east is a parody and they getting home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

I disagree. I think if you hit on the QB which you'll know whether you did within the first year more often than not, we then also have a bazillion picks and salary cap space to spend on offensive and defensive lineman. Having a good QB and lines that can run/stop the run is all you need initially to start being competitive. That could happen as soon as next season.
That would be the perfect storm I mentioned.

That would be the perfect storm I mentioned.
We made our own perfect storm which was the plan. Generally speaking, yes it generally might take longer, but we have so many resources that we can skip multiple years.

The Phins are trying to do something rather methodically that the league prefers happens stochastically, or that doesn't violate long-held notions about which franchises should be perennially strong.

I voted for other, because when a team and their coaches play to win, there is no "tanking" going on.

Tanking is an oversimplified, under brained expression that lacks any serious credibility because it is often uses anything; from a single trade or firing or sitting of a player that may reduce a teams play to any extent as an excuse to use that term.

A front office can't tank because they are not playing in the game. Any extension of what a FO does that is construed as weakening the team, ignores the fact that only the players and the coaches who choose to play badly (or not at all) can "tank". Therefore that is a bogus proposition!

Back
Top Bottom