What do you guys think your better at the bills at. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you guys think your better at the bills at.

No, those are numbers of a good QB who wasn't given the opportunity to throw for those yards. Blame Chan on that one bro.

Alright, lets analyze the 6 games at the end of the year that he had less than 200 yards.

NYJets : 188 yards. I think we know what happened that game. I'm actually surprised he got that many yards. Everone sucked.

Denver : 176 yards. One of the 4th quarter comebacks. Didn't have a great game, but he didn't have a bad game. Did not have that many attempts in this game.

Indianapolis : 191 yards. Give me a friggen break. We won 41-6. Fiedler had 4 total TDs (5 if it weren't for Lucas) I don't think you can say Jay had a bad game.

San Fransisco : 149 yards. I was at this game. This was far from being Jay's fault. We did CRAP that game.

Atlanta : 191 yards. After 2 second quarter TDs. We tried sitting on the ball, or he would have had more yards.

Buffalo : 110 yards. Little different from Indy, but the same effect. Lamar had tons of yards that game. We did not need to pass. When we did have to pass, we did good. Jay also had a nice 18 yard TD run in that game.

You talk about the 87 yard game. GUESS WHAT?!?!? Brady had LESS yards that game, and they were coming behind that game! We won that gamer 30-10. We did not have to pass!

You talk about the stats being inflated for two games. Guess what, it works both ways. You take out the Jets/49ers game, and Fieldler's ratio goes way up :)

Fiedler did have 2 ints in 7 games this year.

2 were in the last eight games. 1 of those was the first of those 8 games. So basically he had 1 in 7 games. Not bad at all.

NFL - Bills' Resurgence: Myth or Reality?

By Brad Oremland
Thursday, June 27th, 2002

Buffalo's much-ballyhooed acquisitions this offseason are mostly band-aids, not upgrades. Middle linebacker London Fletcher merely takes over for Sam Cowart. Offensive tackle Trey Teague is an overrated but necessary addition. He and first-round draft choice Mike Williams are overdue anchors to a terrible offensive line; they make the Bills respectable, not remarkable.
And kicker Mike Hollis is a nice addition, but he won't get the chance to decide games for the Bills unless the rest of the team can keep them close. Hollis is also coming off a weak season in which he went 8-11 from under 40 yards and hit nothing from further than 48.

Of course, I'm ignoring the offseason move that really has everyone talking -- the trade for Drew Bledsoe. I don't know when the myth got so much larger than the man, but Bledsoe is not John Unitas coming to save the franchise.

Did you know that Bledsoe's career passer rating (75.9) is actually ten points lower than that of the man he replaces, Rob Johnson (85.7)? He's never had a passer rating over 90.0 in a season or been an Associated Press All-Pro. And he's getting worse.

Over the last three years, Bledsoe's quarterback rating is 76.4, lower than those of Jeff Blake, Chris Chandler, and Steve Beuerlein -- three guys who will be backups next season. His yards-per-attempt (6.8) and touchdown percentage (3.3) over the same period are atrocious, and his interception percentage (3.2) is worse than that of Kerry Collins.

And unlike Doug Flutie (who tops Bledsoe in yards per attempt, touchdown percentage, interception percentage, and quarterback rating since the end of the 1998 season), Bledsoe isn't quick on his feet -- he's one of only three quarterbacks to be sacked more than 100 times in the last three seasons, despite missing most of last year.

Doesn't anyone remember that Bledsoe wasn't even the starter for his own team last year? The Patriots didn't trade him because they think he's better than Tom Brady. Even in Bledsoe's celebrated playoff performance last season, he did only what was necessary: 10-for-21 passing, 102 yards, 1 touchdown. The touchdown is what's important, of course, but a 47.6 completion percentage and under 5-yards per attempt are not numbers to get excited about. Because Bledsoe's touchdown pass helped win the game, many of us forgot that he didn't really play all that well.

You can't even make the argument that Bledsoe saves his best stuff for the really big games. In Super Bowl XXXI, Bledsoe became one of only four quarterbacks to throw four interceptions in a Super Bowl game, putting up a ghastly 46.6 passer rating. All this isn't to say that Bledsoe is a bad quarterback, but he's certainly overrated.

For career statistics, he trails Jeff George in completion percentage, yards-per-attempt, touchdown percentage, interception percentage, and passer rating. This isn't Steve Young we're talking about here - it's Jeff George, for goodness' sake. Bledsoe also trails Rob Johnson in each of those categories.

Furthermore, all the hype surrounding Bledsoe seems to have made people forget that Buffalo is still relying on Travis Henry and Shawn Bryson to carry the ball. Last year, they combined for 1070 yards with 6 touchdowns and 3.65 yards per carry. These two are not the second coming of Thurman Thomas; they aren't even the one-two punch of Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne in New York (combined 1555 yards, 4.5 avg, 16 TD).

The Bills also need to shore up an ugly defense that ranked 29th in the league last year in points allowed, en route to Buffalo's 3-13 finish. The Bills have signed three defensive players this offseason, but they lost five to retirement and free agency, including team leaders Phil Hansen, an 11-year starter, and previously-mentioned Cowart.

Buffalo has several young players who could boost the defense, but it's a long way up from 29th, and an offense relying on Bledsoe and Henry will need all the help it can get. The Bills will win more than three games this season, but I don't think they'll be a factor in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
FFNSB, you're points are all valid, I'll give you that. However, you're not taking the intangibles into consideration. Why pass when you have a confortable lead? Why pass when you're running game is being so successful? How can you pass when the around you is playing like a college team? How can you pass when your OC calls a run up the middle on 3rd and frickin' 5? I'm sure I've said this before, but in football, as in life, there are intangibles that need to be considered before coming to a conclusion. Its best to learn that now......

I need to clear up a few things with our friend...Dolfan.

Denver: "Did not have that many attempts in this game." Look it up...He had 28 Attempts and only 176 yards. That's 6.2 an attempt. that sucks.

SF: "This was far from being Jay's fault." Come on now...again he had 28 Attempts only 149 yards and 3 INT. Wasn't he throwing those passes? 5.39 yds/attempt. Even worse.

I just woould like some of you to admit that the guy isn't that god. He has some good qualities. He can move. He's pretty tough. But he is NOT a top 10 QB. He's an average NFL starter. It's the most important postion on the team and they should consider upgrading it. If they don't go far in the playoffs than he must go after this year.

Like the PFW said in their preview. He's #21 rated QB. Thats actually below average.

That article was posted before, it ruffled a few feathers with the Bills fans.....

That's one magazine saying that.

6.2 average is not good, but it isn't horrible.

The San Fransisco game was a total team failure, including Jay.

He isn't a god. He is a low top 10 QB. He was #13 in the NFL for QB ratings. QB ratings don't include rushing.

In that SF game, he was under constant pressure, that severely hinders a QB's playmaking ability. Intangibles my friend.....

BTW, I hope he proves me wrong. I read on one website that he might have a breakout year. He's got Williams. Chambers will be huge this year. Norv Turner will help. So he doesn't have to do it alone.

He's smart. We all know that. So I hope he figures it out and cuts down on the picks. If he does than he might take them very far.

Yeah, he got ROCKED HARD in the SF game. I heard the hit that Fiedler got his blindsided. I was about 20 yards away from it. Nobody played well that game.

Where did that magazine place Tom Brady in their QB rating?

You guys are going to love this, especially Bmarion:

Brady at #14
Self-made player with average tools who has the great intangibles Drew Bledsoe lacked in his last 2 years in NE. Gained the respect of the players that Bledsoe had lost.

Back
Top Bottom