What if Surtain and Rousseau are there at 18 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Surtain and Rousseau are there at 18

The Dolphins took a CB at 30 last year and the majority here at FH lost their collective minds.

But somehow now it’s ok to take a CB at 18 because his last name is ‘Surtain’.

Mindblowing.

I’ve said this countless times, but it bears repeating. MIA has far too many holes to even consider taking a CB at 18. IDC how talented Surtain is. MIA is far from hurting at the position. In fact, it’s a strength.

I’ve argued that taking any defensive player in the first round this draft is drafting a luxury. And ignoring strengths and weaknesses of this team.

There’s no single defensive player available in this draft that is so head and shoulders above the rest that a similarly talented/rated offensive player can’t be had at the same point in the 1st round.

That said, IMO pass rusher is the only defensive need that can be justified in terms of drafting in the 1st round (as far as the Miami Dolphins go). Not a CB. Not a LB. A pass rusher.

Sans that, this team would be foolish to forgo spending their most valuable draft assets on anything but addressing their anemic offense.

The Dolphins took a CB at 30 last year and the majority here at FH lost their collective minds.

Mindblowing.

I’ve said this countless times, but it bears repeating. MIA has far too many holes to even consider taking a CB at 18. IDC how talented Surtain is. MIA is far from hurting at the position. In fact, it’s a strength.

I’ve argued that taking any defensive player in the first round this draft is drafting a luxury. And ignoring strengths and weaknesses of this team.

There’s no single defensive player available in this draft that is so head and shoulders above the rest that a similarly talented/rated offensive player can’t be had at the same point in the 1st round.

That said, IMO pass rusher is the only defensive need that can be justified in terms of drafting in the 1st round (as far as the Miami Dolphins go). Not a CB. Not a LB. A pass rusher.

Sans that, this team would be foolish to forgo spending their most valuable draft assets on anything but addressing their anemic offense.
Well I think you’re going to be disappointed come draft day bc I’d be willing to bet we split the 1st round picks between offense and defense. I heavily disagree with you that any pick on defense is a luxury. Our defense was good no doubt but they were far from elite. We looked better than we really were bc we forced an insane amount of turnovers and that’s more than likely to not be duplicated 2 years in a row. We still need a few pieces on defense. EDGE LB OLB and Safety are all positions of need and I’d even throw in a depth guy at DT.

I can’t speak for everybody else but for me it’s not bc his last name is Surtain. It’s bc if he falls to 18 for any reason that would be insane value to get him there and he would be virtually guaranteed to be the BPA at that point in the draft. Also it’s ok to make a strength stronger bc this is the NFL where injuries occur on the daily and with as much man to man as we play we need top flight CBs to make our defense run.

Micah Parsons Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah Zaven Collins Trevon Moehrig and a host of EDGE guys are all high possibilities in round 1. I believe Parsons and Surtain are the 2 best defensive players in the draft and if 1 is available at 18 then you make that pick and don’t think twice. Especially if it’s Parsons. Look at what Devin White has allowed TB to do on defense. Those speedy LBs can cover up a ton of mistakes on defense and they can cover up TEs. Also in Parsons case he’s big enough to line up on the edge in passing situations and rush the passer as he’s a freak athlete. A guy like JOK who is much smaller but also much quicker can line up at Safety in certain packages. Versatile players like those 2 are a welcome addition no matter how good your defense is.

I agree that we need offense offense and more offense but I don’t want to just neglect the defense this draft either. We are far from a complete unit on that side of the ball and a guy like Parsons JOK Collins or Surtain would take our defense to the next level and I don’t think any of those guys are a luxury except Surtain. The others are pieces that are still definitely needed to go from top 10 defense to top 3 elite defense. Considering the gauntlet of QBs that reside in the AFC we’re going to need more on defense than what we have now to win a Super Bowl.

I watched Voch Lombardi's youtube on Parsons. He showed a few plays against Ohio State where his diagnosis of the play is way off. Someone said he was spying Fields, but others said it wouldn't have mattered if he was. He shouldn't be fooled that badly.

His opting out doesn't allow anyone to see whether his mental processing got any better. I never followed him in college and couldn't tell you, but he might fall mightily if GM's aren't sure. At which point he is a really good SLB, but may drop to 18.

a lot of comments said he couldn't cover, strictly a zone read guy. Saw him miss an easy interception. I tend to think he's limited in pass coverage.

He's got a knack for causing fumbles, but so did Kiko Alonso. He sheds blockers and holds up pretty well. I just have no idea if he's overhyped or not, because a LB in the top 5 should be a Luke Kueckly type. If he's not, then he's not worth a top 12 selection, imo.

I also read he's a jerk in the comments.

I remember watching the AFC Championship game and thinking after all the hype surrounding Tremaine Edmunds he was still diminished to just some dude chasing Tyreek Hill in the end...and he was supposed to revolutionize the position. Parsons gives me that same vibe.

According to most including this article RB falls t0 #7 in terms of importance ... QB,OL,DL and CB all have more impact overall ....

Unless there is an all world talent staring you in the face it makes sense to evaluate your most pressing needs and choose one of the top 3 in round 1 (especially in the top ten ...

Doesn't seem that complicated ...

you don't pick a RB if you have needs at the top 3 positions IMO ... as @BigNastyFish has repeated RB's can be had later ... (you might be better with a "Snappa" LMAO)

Zeke Elliot and Derrick Henry can't get their teams anywhere without solid line play and a QB who is at least a threat ...
Our O-line and QB positions are not a threat ... IMO ... Strengthen your 2 MOST important positions first if possible then add the complimentary pieces ....

it's like a cake ... first the baking THEN the icing ... not really that hard

I go DL if those are my two choices ... as long as it's a need for the team

Mindblowing.

It’s because of the name, if he wasn’t a Surtain he wouldn’t even get mentioned. He’s an OK CB nothing special in my eyes.

It’s because of the name, if he wasn’t a Surtain he wouldn’t even get mentioned. He’s an OK CB nothing special in my eyes.

He was one of the best corners in the nation out of high school and one of the best freshman dbacks in college. Pure talent and will be better than his dad.

I’ll leave the evaluation up to Flo and Grier but I would hope Miami likes Rousseau. If he’s the real deal at that size he’s a game changer.

I strongly disagree, IMO Rousseau is a different maker can play and rush the passer for multiple positions. Take a look at Jaret Patterson ,J Williams , Stevenson, Michael Carter,
I have a rule, don't draft guys in the 1st round who only have 1 year of film. It's just too risky.

Mindblowing.

I think people would absolutely lose their minds if we took a CB again. I don't think it's the same people.

But the point is it would free up a lot of cap space if we did which could then be spent on offense. It's not a likely scenario though.

I pick up the phone and call the Falcons. “Hey, I know you guys need a corner and a pass rusher. What would you give for Surtain or Rousseau?”

with 1st round picks spent on OT and CB last year, I don't see Sewell or Surtain. This team needs skill position players badly. Give me one of Smith, Chase or Waddle and Harris in the first all day

Back
Top Bottom