What if Surtain and Rousseau are there at 18 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Surtain and Rousseau are there at 18

Surtain is the pick. Howard and Jones will be 28 and 29 years old this season and not getting any younger. Strong CB play is why we had a top defense in 2020, and our talent at that position is going to fall off quickly in the next 2 years.

Surtain is the pick. Howard and Jones will be 28 and 29 years old this season and not getting any younger. Strong CB play is why we had a top defense in 2020, and our talent at that position is going to fall off quickly in the next 2 years.

100%

X
Jones
Pat
Igby
Needham

is a stud CB room, arguably most talented in the NFL, and sets us up really nicely long term with Pat and Igby as starters in 2-3 years

Surtain was coached by his dad in high school and coached in college, and now the pros. He's had stellar coaching and discipline. He will be a great corner. Faster than his dad and taller. Without a doubt a starter day 1.

If everyone pretends walter football doesn't exist, one day it won't, and we'll all be better for it.

Not sure Surtain has the juice to play in Flores' D. He'd probably fit better with a team that runs more zone.

Our second greatest need is a pass rusher, if we ever want to beat the Chiefs, Bills and Ravens again.

I’d love Surtain but he won’t be there. Was disappointed with Noah cause I wanted Surtain this year. If he is there you take him and look at moving Noah to Safety or switching Jones back to Safety. There’s no such thing as too many food Dbacks.

Interesting question. In my uneducated, thinking outside the box mentality, I briefly thought about Surtain, but not as a CB. I was thinking more of a DB (safety and backup CB). However, because Brandon Jones seems to be coming on a little bit, I would pass. As it stands now, until I learn more about the prospects, I prefer a WR, Slater, Pitts, or one of the speedy LBs.

I think we'll resign Needham before the start of Free Agency. X, Jones, and Needham were an excellent trio for our secondary.

I still have a lot of hope in Noah and i'm very excited to see his leap from year 1 to 2. Noah is extremely athletic and very physical which is obviously great traits to have in the NFL. Noah is also the youngest player in the league so he should improve as he gets older.

Idk if many fin fans know this because I rarely hear anybody talk about this but I'm a huge Auburn fan and been following Noah since he committed. He never played CB in High School and was actually a WR when Auburn signed him. He made the position change during his time at Auburn so he's still very raw. I've seen him go through some up's and down's while at Auburn but i've also seen the leaps he made each year at Auburn too. The improvements he kept making is HUGE in my eyes just because it's a new position to him. As he gains more and more experience playing CB, I expect his game to improve in the NFL too!

Xavien, Jones, Needham, and Noah is arguably one of the best CB units in the league already so as long as they stay healthy, we should be set at CB.

That being said, If Surtain falls to 18 then he needs to be the pick regardless who else is on the board. I like Rousseau and understand we need an elite pass rusher that can take on double teams and all that but no way we pass on Surtain regardless how solid our CB's are. I have two reasons why I'd take Surtain.

Reason 1... Flores defense thrives because of the secondary. A strong secondary gives him the opportunity to keep bringing the blitz. So a secondary with Xavien, Jones, Surtain, Needham, and Noah should be able to clamp up nearly any receiver for the first 10-15 yards and obviously when we blitz, QB's have to get rid of the ball fast. As long as our secondary can cover for so many seconds each play, Flores will continue to bring the heat with blitzes and that leads to coverage sacks as well as a lot of interceptions.

Reason 2... Xavien and Jones are both in the top ten for highest paid corners. I'm not saying paying them is bad because they're worth their contracts but adding Surtain could give us a lot of flexibility for our future. As long as Surtain lives up to his hype, we could move X or Jones to free up a lot of money in the future. Obviously we would also get a solid trade haul if we decided to trade one of them as well. So if we wanted to go that route in the future, we could literally get some nice picks back in return and save a lot of money.

I think we'll resign Needham before the start of Free Agency. X, Jones, and Needham were an excellent trio for our secondary.

I still have a lot of hope in Noah and i'm very excited to see his leap from year 1 to 2. Noah is extremely athletic and very physical which is obviously great traits to have in the NFL. Noah is also the youngest player in the league so he should improve as he gets older.

Idk if many fin fans know this because I rarely hear anybody talk about this but I'm a huge Auburn fan and been following Noah since he committed. He never played CB in High School and was actually a WR when Auburn signed him. He made the position change during his time at Auburn so he's still very raw. I've seen him go through some up's and down's while at Auburn but i've also seen the leaps he made each year at Auburn too. The improvements he kept making is HUGE in my eyes just because it's a new position to him. As he gains more and more experience playing CB, I expect his game to improve in the NFL too!

Xavien, Jones, Needham, and Noah is arguably one of the best CB units in the league already so as long as they stay healthy, we should be set at CB.

That being said, If Surtain falls to 18 then he needs to be the pick regardless who else is on the board. I like Rousseau and understand we need an elite pass rusher that can take on double teams and all that but no way we pass on Surtain regardless how solid our CB's are. I have two reasons why I'd take Surtain.

Reason 1... Flores defense thrives because of the secondary. A strong secondary gives him the opportunity to keep bringing the blitz. So a secondary with Xavien, Jones, Surtain, Needham, and Noah should be able to clamp up nearly any receiver for the first 10-15 yards and obviously when we blitz, QB's have to get rid of the ball fast. As long as our secondary can cover for so many seconds each play, Flores will continue to bring the heat with blitzes and that leads to coverage sacks as well as a lot of interceptions.

Reason 2... Xavien and Jones are both in the top ten for highest paid corners. I'm not saying paying them is bad because they're worth their contracts but adding Surtain could give us a lot of flexibility for our future. As long as Surtain lives up to his hype, we could move X or Jones to free up a lot of money in the future. Obviously we would also get a solid trade haul if we decided to trade one of them as well. So if we wanted to go that route in the future, we could literally get some nice picks back in return and save a lot of money.
People just want results too quick sometimes. Noah has a ton of talent but the dolphins were also looking into the future with him. With X and Jones he really wasn't needed and was a just in case guy. Just in case happened, the defense was still looking for its identity. He had to cover stefon Diggs who was already talented but I gotta admit he was probably the best reciever in the league this year. He had a few ups and downs and like gesicki sometimes it takes a year or two to get the player you want

If they are both there you best wake up. Because your dreaming.

I don't think the FO would hesitate for a second - they'd take Surtain. If we can free up cap space by moving on X or Jones next year with a ready made successor in place, that's what they'd do.
Agree. Plus, they'd get the entire year to see what kind of player Surtain is and how Iggy progresses.

I wouldn’t touch Rousseau to be honest. Not enough tape and we don’t know if that was a 1 year wonder. He’s also very raw and likely will take a couple of years to develop and really impact the game for us. He’s 1 of those guys that are either going to boom or bust.

Although we don’t NEED a CB if Surtain were there at 18 I’d be running the card up. Personally I think he’s 1 of 7 franchise players in this draft and if he were at 18 I’d be absolutely stunned. The value of Surtain at 18 would be unmatched by any other team/player selection in this draft. He’ll be a premier cover CB just like his dad was.
I view him as one of the riskiest (high picks) in the draft. Not to say he can't end up being an elite pass rusher, which is why he will end up going high.

Back
Top Bottom