What is Tua's trade value if... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is Tua's trade value if...

One issue with Tua is I'm not sure it's clear what offense is ideal for him. The coordinator search should focus with that in mind. Ask that question and see what everyone comes up with.
That's a different discussion but certainly a good one.

Personally I think the playcalling was kept conservative bc they felt like the defense was good enough that if the QB don’t mess it up and we keep it close we can steal it in the 4th quarter and it actually worked for a few different games.

CG is by far not some great OC but the man has been coaching football for as long as I’ve been alive. He knows how to evaluate a QBs strength and weaknesses. He seen Tua everyday in practice so he knew what the kid could and couldn’t do. Tua had 51 throws of 15+ yards this season and completed 37.3%. Conversely Fitz had 48 throws of 15+ yards and completed 62.5%. Tua ranked as the worst QB in the league in this stat while Fitz ranked as the best. Coaches keep track of these things just like we do.
I wonder how many of the throws Fitz made when we had Parker, Gesicki and Preston Williams on the field.
PW got hurt in Tua's second game and Parker missed 3 of Tua's starts.

I wonder how many of the throws Fitz made when we had Parker, Gesicki and Preston Williams on the field.
PW got hurt in Tua's second game and Parker missed 3 of Tua's starts.
Now that I can’t speak to as that would take a ton of time to watch the tape and breakdown. But I’d be willing to bet it’s not a huge discrepancy.

There's absolutely no reason to move on from Tua in 2021 no matter who Miami acquires. Even if Tua doesn't improve a lick (unlikely), he'll look better with legitimate supporting talent, so his trade value is likely at an all-time low after playing with one of the worst supporting groups in the league.

I don't believe Watson is actually available.

This isn’t a new gm or head coach. They bought this qb together if I was Ross and someone told me we were done with him after a year after saying this is the kid we ride with id tell em pack your **** I’m done with you too.

it sounds interesting but I’d put the odds at nil. More likely they are blaming health (rehab isn’t strength and conditioning) and poor offensive scheme fit for a year at least. and I’m sure lack of weapons plays into it too.
Good point, BUT, they could absolutely sell this to Ross if it were for Watson. Anything else though and you’re correct

These threads are pointless because there is no QB available better than Tua. You can talk about the draft and players who have potential, but 1 year ago Tua was one of the best college football QB prospects in a decade. I don’t believe any member of our organization plans to write off a 22 year old kid who played in 9 games a year removed from a life changing surgery. Even though he struggled at times he ended the season healthy. An outcome much better than Burrow who showed flashes, but ended up on IR after destroying his knee. I will add in that there is pointless chatter about Watson every year, but there is no chance Houston trades him. His value to their franchise is more than any one team will ever give up draft pick wise.

One issue with Tua is I'm not sure it's clear what offense is ideal for him. The coordinator search should focus with that in mind. Ask that question and see what everyone comes up with.

I think a Kyle Shanahan offense would take advantage of his footwork and accuracy. It sounds like a cop out, because that offense makes every QB look better than they would be in most offenses, but I really do think that type of offense would highlight his strengths. Think Tua would be closer to Matt Ryan than Jimmy G in that scheme.

Of course, you see variations with the Rams and Packers. McVay almost fooled everyone into believing that Goff is great, and Aaron Rodgers is playing his best ball in years (my favorite to win the SB).

I think Fields and Wilson would also do well in that system - but for different reasons.

Well, then there's no reason to go a different direction.
But, if we're (for the sake of discussion) starting at the place where Miami is trading for someone else or drafting another QB, then we're saying Tua was a bust. Not good for his trade value.
It's way too early to say he's a bust.

Now, if Miami thinks Wilson or Fields has more potential that's a different story.

These threads get more desperate by the day, my god some of the comments in here, from some that should know a hell of a lot better too.

Personally I think the playcalling was kept conservative bc they felt like the defense was good enough that if the QB don’t mess it up and we keep it close we can steal it in the 4th quarter and it actually worked for a few different games.
It's difficult for me to believe we had an offense that can put up points because our defense would keep the game close enough for a game manager play script .... that's your opinion ... mine is they didn't expect Tua to play so they designed an offense around Fitz's strength (jump balls to tall receivers) when Tua showed enough progress they put him in to manage the underneath stuff with a toss or two to the tall guys (as long as they were on the left side of the field) ... the injuries depleted what hope at WR we had as well as the run game when DC's caught on to Tua's game they adjusted to underneath coverage with blitzing ... Tua wasn't ready for the onslaught .... the offensive team's weaknesses were exposed and it was game over for us .... the defense couldn't keep up with all the 3 and outs ... long season fighting the entire way ...

I could be way off

BTW, I think it was flagrant BS for Grier to make a declaration that 'Tua is our QB next year'.
If Miami sees a guy they like better, or a trade situation falls into their laps like what the DeShawn Watson situation is, and they move on from Tua then they prove themselves as liars.
"We look at every option available to improve our football team" is how you answer that question.
If we get through FA and the draft and Tua is our QB, then Tua is our QB.
The Dolphins didnt owe Tua a 'pat on the back' that might turn out to be a lie, anyway.

What I don't understand is that everyone accepts that "everybody lies" during the playing season to gain an advantage but come the off season the expectation is complete honesty?

For cripe's sake. Grier is a professional and has shown he is a good one at that. He isn't going to toss capital or leverage just to make someone feel good (and the someone has never been shown to be particularly sensitive, anyway).

BTW, I think it was flagrant BS for Grier to make a declaration that 'Tua is our QB next year'.
If Miami sees a guy they like better, or a trade situation falls into their laps like what the DeShawn Watson situation is, and they move on from Tua then they prove themselves as liars.
"We look at every option available to improve our football team" is how you answer that question.
If we get through FA and the draft and Tua is our QB, then Tua is our QB.
The Dolphins didnt owe Tua a 'pat on the back' that might turn out to be a lie, anyway.
Well he had to say that. Coach speak for he is untill he isnt

It’s like Saban...”he will not be the next coach at Alabama”....meaningless!
I agree, I got bashed for arguing it in another post. He never said 2021, the beat writers added that. He said Tua is our starter which right now he is. He also said he wasn’t going to tak about draft preparation when asked if they’d consider a QB in the draft. I think they stand by Tua, that’s my opinion, but I don’t believe there was any definitive declaration about the 2021 season. That’s just me.

Back
Top Bottom