What the knock on Herbert? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What the knock on Herbert?

There are things HErbert has to work on, but you can adjust your offense to account for them in the first few years. Coaching and plan are going to be important.

I do have a condition for passers...nothing under 60% completion...in 4 seasons he has dropped below that only once and has a lifetime average of over 64, so that part I am not worried about. He does a solid job of taking care of the ball with only 20 ints in almost 40 games and finally, he has a lifetime YPA of over 9.

Herbert's biggest issue is he is being compared to Tua...take any QB in the last 5 years and COmpare them to Tua and you will get the same feeling. Herbert is super gifted as an athlete, and he is a much better passer the Allen.

There’s nothing inaccurate about his passing this year. I mean what is it a 70 percent clip. And it’s not all screens and dumps either. The skill talent he has to work with is average at best. And I’m probably being kind without his starting tight end. The first 5 weeks of the season or so he didn’t even have a top 3 wr suiting up. Something along those lines. He lost his top guy freshman pittman with a broken wrist Saturday.

I think what people aren’t accounting for is what impact pistol and zone read can have on the qb as long as you can maintain the sticks. You are gonna have a hard time getting to him and exposing his weaknesses in that style o as long as they can maintain the sticks.

And this year when his process has taken a net loss he’s regained the sticks or the yard marker on virtually the very next play. Did it twice last Saturday. That arm is an offset.

O line investment will be important. But guess what we are gonna be doing that for whatever qb we select. Heck that’s all people talk about is the need to invest in tbe o line for the qb.

This all again sounds like Herbert depends on his players around him to hold up their job to do the job right. Tua's offensive line has been an atrocity this year and his pocket presence is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Herbert's. Not only that but his ability to process the game is light years ahead of Herbert. The one thing Herbert has on him is *potential* upside and tools. Thats it. But I rather do the Awsi route and draft a player who has shown they can do it consistently game after game from high school until and including college.

I just wonder how much instincts can be coached or limited by coaching. Cause I know I’ve seen guys get better witb it in the pros. I don’t think you can paint everyone with the ryan tannehill brush and even he is playing more instinctual in Tennessee right now

And I know I can hide things while others develop in pistol and zone read. Be it reads or ask

This all again sounds like Herbert depends on his players around him to hold up their job to do the job right. Tua's offensive line has been an atrocity this year and his pocket presence is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Herbert's. Not only that but his ability to process the game is light years ahead of Herbert. The one thing Herbert has on him is *potential* upside and tools. Thats it. But I rather do the Awsi route and draft a player who has shown they can do it consistently game after game from high school until and including college.

I think this is something interesting is when people are publicized early on AND SUCCEED REGARDLESS people hate on them so much more. I mean LeBron was said to be the 2nd coming at 16 years old and has lived up to it and all he gets is criticism and hate. And my favorite comment "yeah he is good but...."

Tua was regarded as the best high school passer ever, came to Alabama. Sat all year then won the National Championship off the bench. Broke every record, like ever, passed at some ridiculous clip in both completion percentage and yards per completion and people are like oh he is soooo overrated man. All the dude has done is lived up to the expectations his entire career.

Yes he is hurt but this is a violent game. Hell I can think of a dozen non contact injuries players have gotten in recent years it happens to every player at some point.

Hope our medical staff is better because last time we have a ball and socket joint decision to make we messed up big time.

I just wonder how much instincts can be coached or limited by coaching. Cause I know I’ve seen guys get better witb it in the pros. I don’t think you can paint everyone with the ryan tannehill brush and even he is playing more instinctual in Tennessee right now

And I know I can hide things while others develop in pistol and zone read. Be it reads or ask

I think it goes to your initial interaction within the sport, the guys who have had success have sat for a yer or two. Where you see guys struggle the most is when they dont have that processing speed and are asked to learn on the fly. If this FO and staff are trying to be good for 15 years they will draft a QB and sit him behind a hard working vet who can teach him knowing that he will loose his job to the rookie one day.

I think it goes to your initial interaction within the sport, the guys who have had success have sat for a yer or two. Where you see guys struggle the most is when they dont have that processing speed and are asked to learn on the fly. If this FO and staff are trying to be good for 15 years they will draft a QB and sit him behind a hard working vet who can teach him knowing that he will loose his job to the rookie one day.

I respect that but I don’t agree with it. Not in pistol and zone read at least

I respect that but I don’t agree with it. Not in pistol and zone read at least

I agree that if you think a guy is THE GUY or transcendent then you need to take him and build the offense to work with his skill set. But we barely have a foundation for much of anything If we need to run a pistol zone read offense to make Herbert great how long will it take to build up the offense to be that? Not sure if we have those pieces in place, might be overstating how far off we may be but just not sure the difference in skill sets needed.

I agree that if you think a guy is THE GUY or transcendent then you need to take him and build the offense to work with his skill set. But we barely have a foundation for much of anything If we need to run a pistol zone read offense to make Herbert great how long will it take to build up the offense to be that? Not sure if we have those pieces in place, might be overstating how far off we may be but just not sure the difference in skill sets needed.

It will just take a pivot in terms of offensive style and emphasis. Personnel wise I don’t see outside of the qb where it would be anything else. Maybe a backup with a similar background/skill set.

Kinda like what the ravens have done with Jackson and rg3 his 2 deep.

I don’t see miami going this route to run a pre snap/progression read based offense in other words. That’s Fromm and rosen (although the latters struggling witb it to date in the pros)

So if that’s the plan Herbert isn’t the guy. But plans change and QBs drive them.

Not that I’ve seen all that much of him but I’m surprised there isn’t a bigger buzz on Eason. He’s the same size as a Herbert, same arm but pressure doesn’t seem to bother him at all, it also doesn’t look like he is throwing to anything near NFL talent.

The knock from what I’ve seen is everything looks like a speeding bullet out of his hand, long or short.

You can't teach instincts. Tannehill isn't more instinctual in Tennessee right now either, I've watched every game he has played. He always did have instincts when it comes to accuracy and anticipating throws. He still has terrible instincts when it comes to navigating the pocket and evading pressure.

If I've heard that Tua's line is bad once, I've heard it a thousand times. There few lines that have NFL draftees projected across the board:

Leatherwood - 1st

Wills, Jr. - 2nd

Brown - 6th

Womack - 4th

Owens - 4th

Please stop saying this BS, as if Tua isn't throwing all over the place and Najee Harris isn't running all over the place. It forces people to be contrary, if for nothing else but to bring you back to reality.

You can't teach instincts. Tannehill isn't more instinctual in Tennessee right now either, I've watched every game he has played. He always did have instincts when it comes to accuracy and anticipating throws. He still has terrible instincts when it comes to navigating the pocket and evading pressure.

I’ve watched every game too and he’s playing more off script I can tell ya that.

Not that I’ve seen all that much of him but I’m surprised there isn’t a bigger buzz on Eason. He’s the same size as a Herbert, same arm but pressure doesn’t seem to bother him at all, it also doesn’t look like he is throwing to anything near NFL talent.

The knock from what I’ve seen is everything looks like a speeding bullet out of his hand, long or short.
Not that it matters, but Oregon's best receiving threat is it's TE...I would say both are on equal footing as far as surrounding talent (with the exception of o-line).

I haven't watched Eason except for highlights, Washington football just doesn't interest me, but I may give them a full game this holiday.

I've heard that Eason has all-world talent; his biggest concern is questionable work ethic.

Back
Top Bottom