What value does Cook have to this team as far as a contract offer? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What value does Cook have to this team as far as a contract offer?

What is the top contract you would offer?

• 4-5m per, two year deal, fully guaranteed

• 5-7m per, three year deal, 13m guaranteed

• 7-9m per, three year deal, 17m guaranteed

• 9-11m per, three year deal, 20m guaranteed

• Less than any of these

• More than any of these

Results are only viewable after voting.
"Beast" is one of those terms that have no clear definition, kind of like "elite". Different ppl have differing opinions, none of which are right or wrong, due to there being no objective, measurable standard. It is opinion.

Did you cast your vote?

OK fair enough.

Yes I cast my vote

If the Dolphins can get him for a $5MM - $7MM bargain (or less), that’s great! The soft RB market and relatively small number of teams needing RB1 help works in Miami’s favor.

Almost 1/3rd of all starting RBs in the league will have a $10MM+ AAV in 2023. The recent Aaron Jones (26 y/o) contract extension of 2Y/$23MM is probably the best comp.

IMO, getting a now healthy 27 y/o 4x pro bowler coming off a 1500 total yards (#10) season—when he played injured—for a steep discount will be a challenge for Grier & Co.

Last edited:
Great post, and that’s without even mentioning the fact that Cook is one of the best receiving backs in the NFL.

I really don’t understand the people who act like he’s comparable to Mostert and Wilson. Mostert is 31 and last year is the first time he’s started more than 8 games in a season. He’s an old, career back-up on a near-minimum deal. And Wilson is worse than that.

Cook is among the best RBs in the NFL.

Agreed.

I mean they were statistically as good as D. HENRY, Josh Jacob's and Nick Chubb Last year

But I find it hard to believe anyone would take Mostert and Wilson over any of those guys.

I mean some people just don't want to pay RBS money, I get it.
I am one of those guys.
But when they could potentially be that player that puts us over the top, I am willing to pay the price.

If people are only willing to pay 5 million, that's OK. But I would hope they are only willing to pay 5 million a year for any RB not named Henry, because Cook has been as good if not better then every RB outside of Henry.

If the Dolphins can get him for a $5MM - $7MM bargain (or less), that’s great! The soft RB market and relatively small number of teams needing RB1 help works in Miami’s favor.

Almost 1/3rd of all starting RBs in the league will have a $10MM+ AAV in 2023. The recent Aaron Jones (26 y/o) contract extension of 2Y/$23MM is probably the best comp.

IMO, getting a now healthy 4x pro bowler coming off a 1500 total yards (#10) season—when he played injured—for a steep discount will be a challenge for Grier & Co.
I don't look at the total yardage as a driving factor. That is a product of a high number of opportunities/touches.

If RBBC is the philosophy, any individual's total yardage is not going to be in that neighborhood, and is irrelevant. If that's what you are paying big $ for, you are paying for something you will likely not use.

You would basically have to give Cook 80+% of the snaps/touches to justify top tier $, and I do not believe that is McD's preferred philosophy.

I don't look at the total yardage as a driving factor. That is a product of a high number of opportunities/touches.

If RBBC is the philosophy, any individual's total yardage is not going to be in that neighborhood, and is irrelevant. If that's what you are paying big $ for, you are paying for something you will likely not use.

You would basically have to give Cook 80+% of the snaps)touches to justify top tier $, and I do not believe that is McD's preferred philosophy.
In this case, it can be relevant.

Why? Because the philosophy can change with the right player. Look at SF, a fundamental “RBBC” team that successfully shifted gears once McCaffery was added. If true Miami was exploring a trade a few months ago to pick up Cook, McD wasn’t likely bringing him in for RBBC. And the fact Miami now has Achane doesn’t keep them from doubling down—case in point: Waddle/Hill, the receiving room.

And yes, you should pay $ for top production, but also threat of production. There is value in the Cook’s intangibles—i.e. defensive scheme adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom