What value does Cook have to this team as far as a contract offer? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What value does Cook have to this team as far as a contract offer?

What is the top contract you would offer?

• 4-5m per, two year deal, fully guaranteed

• 5-7m per, three year deal, 13m guaranteed

• 7-9m per, three year deal, 17m guaranteed

• 9-11m per, three year deal, 20m guaranteed

• Less than any of these

• More than any of these

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't look at the total yardage as a driving factor. That is a product of a high number of opportunities/touches.

If RBBC is the philosophy, any individual's total yardage is not going to be in that neighborhood, and is irrelevant. If that's what you are paying big $ for, you are paying for something you will likely not use.

You would basically have to give Cook 80+% of the snaps/touches to justify top tier $, and I do not believe that is McD's preferred philosophy.

I already did the numbers for you in a previous thread.

In order for Cook to get similar touches to last year, Miami would need to give him 3-4more touches a game then he gave Mostert last year.

%'s are cool and all,but when you actually look at the #'s what sounds better?

80%
Or
3-4 more touches a game then Mostert got last year.

With MM already stressing the need to run more, giving Cook 3 more touches a game then he gave Mostert doesn't make RBBC disappear nor is it unreasonable.

Last edited:
I already did the numbers for you in a previous thread.

In order for Cook to get similar touches to last year, Miami would need to give him 3-4more touches a game then he gave Mostert last year.

%'s are cool and all,but when you actually look at the #'s what sounds better?

80%
Or
3-4 more touches a game then Mostert got last year.

With MM already stressing the need to run more, giving Cook 3 more touches a game then he gave Mostert doesn't make RBBC disappear nor is it unreasonable.

You made Achane disappear though.

I respect Cook as an impactful RB but I wouldn't go any higher than $4m/season on a 2 year "prove it" deal.
I'm concerned with any player with a history of shoulder injuries particularly RBs.
We already have a competent RBBC and an exciting rookie Achane.
I would allocate resources to extending Wilkins, Seiler, Hunt.

Simply put, I don't believe in chasing every superstar player unless you have taken care of your own core impact players first.
I'm old school aka I respect the CAP impact long term.

He's probably in the $7-9 million range at a minimum.

I love the player, but not if it means Miami can't keep Wilkins.

Obviously, Cook would upgrade the running back room. But I think with the drafting of Achane the Dolphins have enough at running back.

How are you defining "beast"?

He's a good back. I wouldn't consider him "beast" level, ala Lynch, Elliot, Bettis, etc in their primes.

At this point, I think many are painting this guy to be more than he actually is. He had one outstanding year in 2020. Other than that, statistically he has been good, but not "beast".

I feel that you are extremely wrong with the exception of the Lynch comparison.

You made Achane disappear though.

That depends on what you see his role as.

I mean, in my view Wilson's the odd man out.

So I would go with Cook, Mostert Achane.

Last year Miami averaged about 23 rushing attempts per game. We know, for a fact, MM wants to run more.
How much? We don't know.
Let's be modest, let's say he averages maybe 3 more rushes a game
So 26

Cook-14
Mostert 7
Achane 5.

Also, are we intending on utilizing him for rushing attempts? Or would AchBe be the occasional 3rd down back?

My guess is Achane will be utilized more in the passing game then the running game this year.

But we'll see.

Personally, whether it's Cook/Mostert/Achane or Mostert/Wilson/ Achane I don't see Achanes playing time changing.

Wilson and Mosterts touches will be effected IMO not Achane.

If you're expecting Achane 10 plus touches a game. That's ok too. Cook is your primary Achane relieves him.

But in this scenario, if you were expecting Achane to get 10 plus carries, to you're phasing out either Wilson or Mostert anyway.

So giving Cook 3-4 more carries a game then Mostert got, doesn't make Achane disappear.

Cook likely makes Wilson disappear. Achane, if utilized more makes Mostert phase out

Why are you all so convinced McDaniel prefers RBBC? He had a roster of mediocre RBs who’d never been full time starters. Committee was his only option. Shanahan-inspired offenses have not historically been RBBC.

Good question

I want to ask one question about getting D. Cook, everyone points out he's gone to 4 pro bowls and all his skills. I want to ask those same people. Do we have the OL to get him open holes to go to a 5th Pro Bowl? My biggest concern on this team is our OL. I'm still not certain we're there yet. If you can convince me we have the personnel in the OL to help him maintain his greatness, then I'm more on board, but at no more than 5-6 million. Our cap next year is tight and we're already over. It won't be as easy as some of you think to bring back a lot of this team. We have several players that this team can build around coming up for renewal and it won't be a cake walk to get that done and have a team.

I want to ask one question about getting D. Cook, everyone points out he's gone to 4 pro bowls and all his skills. I want to ask those same people. Do we have the OL to get him open holes to go to a 5th Pro Bowl? My biggest concern on this team is our OL. I'm still not certain we're there yet. If you can convince me we have the personnel in the OL to help him maintain his greatness, then I'm more on board, but at no more than 5-6 million. Our cap next year is tight and we're already over. It won't be as easy as some of you think to bring back a lot of this team. We have several players that this team can build around coming up for renewal and it won't be a cake walk to get that done and have a team.
What OL do you think you’re getting for $5-6 million that is going to substantially improve the line?

Also, do you think Dalvin Cook is approximately the same quality RB as James Conner, Nyheim Hines, Cordarelle Patterson, and Gus Edwards? Because those are all RBs making between $4.5 and $7 million in average annual salary.

good thread. I said it in the Cook thread. nobody in their right minds would say they dont want Cook, its just at what price point.

6 mil a year was my price point. So i went option 2. the third year is really nonexistant anyways. I would go with 2- 12/13 and just guarantee it.

I would really lean closer to the idea, if he signs at 6 mil... its only one year tho.

If I'm his agent, I'm looking at Wilson and Moserts ypc, the fact that they have a lead blocking back, and I'm saying "Okay yall get one year at a hometown discount. It WIlson and Mosert put up those stats then we are going to turn the Miami season into a "we're getting paid season" "

Back
Top Bottom