Who was the last rookie QB who tore up the league | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was the last rookie QB who tore up the league

He was on a bad overall team, with good weapons(aka the Dallas Cowboys lol).
Can see it two ways, yes he threw it a lot but at the same time he wasn't folding under pressure throwing picks left and right or seeing the team lose by 2+ scores often. He was able to keep his team in most games, and had some unfortunate games where he did lead them but either a kicker missed or the receiver couldn't on on through contact etc.

I'm not necessarily seduced by his stats, but for a rookie I thought he did well being thrown on a team that needed to rely on him often to stay in a game.
He couldn't be sheltered and at times had a running game led by Ballage of all backs...
His QB rating was low 80s in the 4th quarter. He absolutely folded under pressure and there are multiple instances where the team had a chance to win at the end of the game and he'd throw a backbreaking pick or throw short of the sticks on 4th down.

I think some people - fans and experts like Chris Simms - are missing the point. Tua has had a good rookie season - he had 6 good games to 3 bad games. Just when compared to Herbert and to a lesser extent Burrows, he did not look as good as them. But nothing on his performance alone can say whether he will develop into a great player or not. He already looked good most times than not - look at every throw in every game and you will come to that conclusion, do not look at just a couple of games. Not one loss in games Tua started - Denver, KC or Buffalo - was lost because of him. In Denver game, their running game and even Lock moved the ball at ease on us, in fact, we played flat in that game. KC is KC even though Tua looked very good in that one in trying to come back with his top skill players missing in the second half. The Buffalo game, the whole (Dolphins) team did not put up a fight. One more thing about Herbert, he lost 2-3 games including the Raiders game I think where he had chances at the end of the game to punch in for a TD and he did not - the defense didn't lose those games for the Chargers. Only when Herbert scaled back to being conservative in the 5 games before the last game, did they start to win - went 3-2. His TD to Int in those 5 games? 6 TDs to 4 Int. In the Atlanta game, he looked as conservative with this throws as Tua did in some games. Only throw around 20 yard or more was the last throw that got them into FG range, everything else was short stuff the whole game.

I think some people - fans and experts like Chris Simms - are missing the point. Tua has had a good rookie season - he had 6 good games to 3 bad games. Just when compared to Herbert and to a lesser extent Burrows, he did not look as good as them. But nothing on his performance alone can say whether he will develop into a great player or not. He already looked good most times than not - look at every throw in every game and you will come to that conclusion, do not look at just a couple of games. Not one loss in games Tua started - Denver, KC or Buffalo - was lost because of him. In Denver game, their running game and even Lock moved the ball at ease on us, in fact, we played flat in that game. KC is KC even though Tua looked very good in that one in trying to come back with his top skill players missing in the second half. The Buffalo game, the whole (Dolphins) team did not put up a fight. One more thing about Herbert, he lost 2-3 games including the Raiders game I think where he had chances at the end of the game to punch in for a TD and he did not - the defense didn't lose those games for the Chargers. Only when Herbert scaled back to being conservative in the 5 games before the last game, did they start to win - went 3-2. His TD to Int in those 5 games? 6 TDs to 4 Int. In the Atlanta game, he looked as conservative with this throws as Tua did in some games. Only throw around 20 yard or more was the last throw that got them into FG range, everything else was short stuff the whole game.
What's weird to me is that we literally played Herbert this season and his OC looked scared to death to have Herbert throw anywhere near the sticks and beyond.

Somehow everybody forgot. Maybe they missed that game. I don't know.

His QB rating was low 80s in the 4th quarter. He absolutely folded under pressure and there are multiple instances where the team had a chance to win at the end of the game and he'd throw a backbreaking pick or throw short of the sticks on 4th down.

Chiefs first game nothing above applies.
Saints game was one where he ended the game in OT on an incompletion. However, with 52 seconds left in the 4th, he drove the team 48 yards to setup the game winning FG. Missed.
The Raiders game he snuck a perfect pass to Parham for the game winner but Parham couldn't hold onto the ball, leads to an incompletion on 4th down, loss.
Carolina game ended on a fumbled reverse by Keenan.
Denver they lost a last second game as the defense allowed Drew Lock to drive down the field.
Tampa game was a bad underthrown INT pass to end it.
bills he threw a pick in the 4th, and there was than infamous QB attempt but a miscommunication with the offensive line. Game was over at that point down by 10.

He was asked to do a lot his rookie year. The team came up short, and a few times he was a reason for it.
He isn't some flawless QB, nor was that ever mentioned.

But for a rookie, he had a very good individual year IMO. If you disagree, that's fine with me.

Chiefs first game nothing above applies.
Saints game was one where he ended the game in OT on an incompletion. However, with 52 seconds left in the 4th, he drove the team 48 yards to setup the game winning FG. Missed.
The Raiders game he snuck a perfect pass to Parham for the game winner but Parham couldn't hold onto the ball, leads to an incompletion on 4th down, loss.
Carolina game ended on a fumbled reverse by Keenan.
Denver they lost a last second game as the defense allowed Drew Lock to drive down the field.
Tampa game was a bad underthrown INT pass to end it.
bills he threw a pick in the 4th, and there was than infamous QB attempt but a miscommunication with the offensive line. Game was over at that point down by 10.

He was asked to do a lot his rookie year. The team came up short, and a few times he was a reason for it.
He isn't some flawless QB, nor was that ever mentioned.

But for a rookie, he had a very good individual year IMO. If you disagree, that's fine with me.
I agree that he had a good year and if I was a Chargers fan I'd be excited going forward.

I just hate the argument that he's been "great" and doesn't have his own warts, which you aren't personally making.

Ill keep a eye out for him in the playoffs this weekend....

You realize that winning is on the team. Marino, greatest QB ever...how many times did he miss the playoffs...

He started in 7 games finished 6 and was 3-3 .
He threw for 2400 yards with 19 tds and 8 int.
Not sure that defines tearing up the League.
5000 yards and 40 TDs if he played the full season Is tearing up the league even for a top 3 QB! That's the QB I would salivate to have. And I am not anti-Tua. But anytime It Is possible to have a proven top 5 QB you try hard to do It.

I agree that he had a good year and if I was a Chargers fan I'd be excited going forward.

I just hate the argument that he's been "great" and doesn't have his own warts, which you aren't personally making.

Understood, and on here I know it can get annoying with the non stop back and forth Tua v Herbert posts.

I stopped looking at most for now.

And I think it's impossible to write anything in ink when it comes to QB's and rookie seasons. Some have poor ones and improve, some have good ones and then become one hit wonders etc...
Next year teams will have a years worth of tape on guys who played this year. Talent gets added and/or talent gets reduced.

If someone like Allen learned to hit the broadside of a barn then anything is possible lol

Ok so based on what im seeing, all the qbs who had amazing rookie seasons had weapons, most weapons btw, which are hall of fame/future hall of fame players. You dont say?

I think the debate of who is better will be decided in 2022, right now DW is at the top of the heap and what all the rooks should strive to be.

Back
Top Bottom