Who's the most overrated player in Dolphins history? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's the most overrated player in Dolphins history?

No one considers them even rated, much less over rated :)

Yes I watched him a lot. ALL QBs called their own plays then, Griese wasn't doing anything the rest weren't. Tannehill beat Brady too, doesn't mean he should get in the Hall of Fame.
Can I clear this up for you? Pro Football Hall of Fame...

Mike Wallace was one of the most overrated players when we signed him and never should have got that contract. I remember people on here fighting tooth and nail for the guy saying he wasnt the problem, and all we needed was a QB.

Personally I think he's probably the most underrated player we've had...despite many fans wanting to sign him most hated him from the moment he didn't get 200 yards receiving in a slop fest against Cleveland his first game. He was a deep threat on a team with no line to block for deep passes, no running game to respect, no offensive play calling creativity to throw defenses off balance, and a QB who to that point wasn't accurate nor aggressive deep. He scored 10 TD's his second year here...

Funny that most fans loved Stills and didn't complain about him getting paid after delivering lesser numbers on a better team. In recent history that's who my vote goes to.

The other would be Wake. The total numbers always looked good because he would pile on against bad teams. He wasn't consistently a force week in and week out like a top shelf pass rusher should be.

He would have been if he didn’t play in a run oriented offense with average at best QB’s throwing the ball to him.

As I already pointed out, in just over 6 seasons in MIA he managed 2 seasons with double digit TD’s while playing in that run oriented offense. In the past 28 years, the Dolphins have only had one other receiver accomplish that. And it’s only happened 14 times in franchise history.

The two seasons of double digit TD’s matches Mark Duper, Paul Warfield and Nat Moore. Only Mark Clayton had more.

Again, unlike Duper and Clayton, Chambers played with average QB’s and in a run first offense.

Chambers was good at the jump ball in the end zone so yes, he scored a lot of TD's. That doesn't mean he always excelled at everything else in the game, he was just an athletic freak in paydirt. You might criticize the QB's he played with, but the fact is they were actually pretty darn good at giving Chambers a chance to score TD's and they knew how to connect with him there. It's not a given that every QB knows how to throw a catchable jump ball in the end zone...guys like Matt Moore and Jay Fiedler were more adept at that than bigger armed QB's like Henne and Tannehill. As I pointed out a moment ago in another comment, Mike Wallace scored ten TD's in 2014, yet nobody cares about him.

Personally I think he's probably the most underrated player we've had...despite many fans wanting to sign him most hated him from the moment he didn't get 200 yards receiving in a slop fest against Cleveland his first game. He was a deep threat on a team with no line to block for deep passes, no running game to respect, no offensive play calling creativity to throw defenses off balance, and a QB who to that point wasn't accurate nor aggressive deep. He scored 10 TD's his second year here...

Funny that most fans loved Stills and didn't complain about him getting paid after delivering lesser numbers on a better team. In recent history that's who my vote goes to.

The other would be Wake. The total numbers always looked good because he would pile on against bad teams. He wasn't consistently a force week in and week out like a top shelf pass rusher should be.
He was a 1 trick pony who had super high expectations. Theres a reason he was on 5 teams in 10 years.

Chambers was good at the jump ball in the end zone so yes, he scored a lot of TD's. That doesn't mean he always excelled at everything else in the game, he was just an athletic freak in paydirt.

Mike Wallace scored ten TD's in 2014, yet nobody cares about him.

Nobody is arguing in favor of their greatness. The point was and continues to be, it eliminates their inclusion from a "most overrated of all-time" list.

When you accomplish something TWICE that has only been done 14 times in team history and matches 3 of the franchises better WR's -- you're not a bad player or massively overrated in any way.

I argued in another thread that Chambers was underrated because of many of the factors I already mentioned. But even if you don't agree with that, which is fine, he clearly shouldn't be on the shortlist of most overrated players out of the 1500+ that have donned the same uniform.

Without a doubt MIKE WALLACE....not even to be debatable. How do you make a guy the highest paid player at his position when the only thing you can do is run a go route.

So many possibilities. I would say that in terms of players who enjoyed some decent seasons here and were regarded highly: Jay Fiedler, Pouncy, Ronnie Brown, Suh, Cam Wake (his last three years), Randy McMichael, Chris Chambers and Wallace.

In terms of the most hyped players that came to Miami and did absolutely nothing or worse: Culpepper, Trent Green, Cris Carter, David Boston, and Brandon Marshall.

Mike Wallace was one of the most overrated players when we signed him and never should have got that contract. I remember people on here fighting tooth and nail for the guy saying he wasnt the problem, and all we needed was a QB.
He was an A- hole but he did snag 10 tds one year here. Haven't seen too many WR's with those TD numbers in the past 20 years wearing a fins jersey.

Some of you have a funny definition of overrated.

My most overrated would be pouncey. Terrell Buckley. Ronnie brown.

Inspired by Danny's thread I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss especially for the of us bored at home.

I'm going with Chris Chambers, I remember being on Finheaven back in 2001 and the hype for Chambers was huge after his rookie season. He sadly never lived up to the expectations many had of him after his rookie year. Over and over people blamed the QB, and the offense for Chris's lack of production, I remember many claimed if he had a great QB he would truly shine.

At the end of the day I think Chambers was simply a #2 WR, as he was too inconsistent to be a #1, and regardless of QB he is simply better suited to be a #2. Every year people waited for him to break out and every year outside of 2005 people were disappointed but with excuses ready at hand.

going to disagree strongly. Chambers was a monster some of the best hands I’ve ever seen play for Miami. His career is what you get when you have guys like Fiedler and the rest of the bums you had throwing him the ball and he still averaged about 900 yards. His prime was wasted here.

Never agreed with the fawning over Jared Odrick; he was popular because he knew how to social media well.

He never made a huge impact on the field nor lived up to his first round selection.

Back
Top Bottom