Why don't we trade for a receiver? HONESTLY? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why don't we trade for a receiver? HONESTLY?

What do we have that anyone else would want?

I'm all for trading Jake Long right now.

The orginal post of trading for a receiver marks Miami as desperate (Miami will have to over pay two fold), trading your best players (last year or not) makes Miami a desperate fool (You will get far less talent, and plenty of organizations laughing at you).

We have studs in the Oline because of the way the draft has shaped out for us and because we have sucked, not because we value OLINE over all aspects in football IMO. IMO Pouncy was a pretty good pick, IMO Long was the right choice over Matt Ryan, because if we had Matt Ryan he would have kept us mediocre so we never would have had Long, Pouncy, Tanny.

Matt Ryan would have kept us mediocre, while since we've had Long we have had what?

I agree. Our o line blows right now and it can suck with or without him. If we could get a first rounder for him I'd be all about that.

You hate the way Ireland drafts, but you want to get rid of one of the top player at his position for a 1st, which you won't get, because he is coming back from an bigtime injury last year. Let's just say Miami does get that 1st round pick, where do you think it will go, after the left side looks like doggie dung?

If that qb is getting sacked every other play it wont matter what weapons he has.

Well that only happens when you take the field with 10 men minus a left tackle.

Go look at NFL rosters. Check out the left tackles. See how many you know. Check and see where they went to college. Check what round they were drafted in.

Look at past Super Bowl winners. Playoff teams. Who are their left tackles? What left tackle is carrying their squad to the playoffs.

I can name two left tackles off the top of my head. Jake Long and Joe Thomas. Dolphins and Browns. Those two teams won 10 games combined last season.

We have studs in the Oline because of the way the draft has shaped out for us and because we have sucked, not because we value OLINE over all aspects in football IMO. IMO Pouncy was a pretty good pick, IMO Long was the right choice over Matt Ryan, because if we had Matt Ryan he would have kept us mediocre so we never would have had Long, Pouncy, Tanny.

And look where Long, Pouncey, and Tannehill have the team. Nowhere. It's unfair to pin anything on Tannehill this soon but the presence of Long and Pouncey hasn't resulted in much. With Ryan, maybe the team would be mediocre. Maybe not. The point is, the team is far worse than mediocre as it stands. Realize also that teams with low first round picks that know how to draft do just fine. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers have hit home runs year in and year out with late first rounders. In my opinion, I DO think at least some of it has to do with Ireland's philosophy and how he values certain positions over others. It seems that he is a big fan of taking fliers on project types at the skills positions rather than use premium picks on them. Gates was a fast guy with not much in the way of actual football prowess. The Jonathan Martin pick this year is a perfect illustration of him placing more value on a highly rated offensive lineman who maybe slipped a little than if a WR had done the same. I'm sure he didn't have guys like Stephen Hill and Alshon Jeffery rated as high as Martin. Isn't that maybe a big part of the problem and the point of a lot of people here, though?

Also why do the Giants own the Patsies, TTTTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, which an offensive line factors in to just a little bit, lol.

The Giants own the Patriots because they're incredibly deep on the defensive line. Coughlin rotates fresh legs in and out non-stop and those dudes get after Tom Brady the entire game.

You're right about time, though. Because that dominate New York defensive line gives Mr. Tom no time at all to get rid of the football. Go back and watch those two Super Bowls again. They are after Tom Brady for 60 minutes. They're disrupting the passing game play after play.

You think Jake Long or Joe Thomas holds down their defensive line. Defensive line stretches to the right side of the trenches as well. Doesn't stop on the left side with the tackles.

Let's talk Green Bay Packers football for a second.

Their defense is worse than ours. They can't stop the run. They can't stop the pass.

They can't run the football. We did that fairly well last season and did it fairly well on Sunday against Houston.

But these dudes were 15-1 last season. Super Bowl Champions the year before. We were 6-10.

Name Green Bay's left tackle.

See how much of a difference a QB and WR weapons make?

Well that only happens when you take the field with 10 men minus a left tackle.

Go look at NFL rosters. Check out the left tackles. See how many you know. Check and see where they went to college. Check what round they were drafted in.

Look at past Super Bowl winners. Playoff teams. Who are their left tackles? What left tackle is carrying their squad to the playoffs.

I can name two left tackles off the top of my head. Jake Long and Joe Thomas. Dolphins and Browns. Those two teams won 10 games combined last season.

It doesn't matter how many LT you or any other fan knows. It's not a glamorous position so it doesn't get a lot of pub. The guys you do know? Yeah they are known because the OL gave them enough time to make plays.

Obviously you don't need Joe Thomas or Jake Long to win a Super Bowl, but you can't do it with a scrub either. Right now our only options are scrub or Jake Long. Next year you want to re-balance the payroll by using Long's cap space for an average guy at LT and a playmaker at WR, I'm all for it. Just not interested in watching a scrub at LT this year. The offense is going to struggle enough this year, don't make it worse.

And look where Long, Pouncey, and Tannehill have the team. Nowhere. It's unfair to pin anything on Tannehill this soon but the presence of Long and Pouncey hasn't resulted in much. With Ryan, maybe the team would be mediocre. Maybe not. The point is, the team is far worse than mediocre as it stands. Realize also that teams with low first round picks that know how to draft do just fine. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers have hit home runs year in and year out with late first rounders. In my opinion, I DO think at least some of it has to do with Ireland's philosophy and how he values certain positions over others. It seems that he is a big fan of taking fliers on project types at the skills positions rather than use premium picks on them. Gates was a fast guy with not much in the way of actual football prowess. The Jonathan Martin pick this year is a perfect illustration of him placing more value on a highly rated offensive lineman who maybe slipped a little than if a WR had done the same. I'm sure he didn't have guys like Stephen Hill and Alshon Jeffery rated as high as Martin. Isn't that maybe a big part of the problem and the point of a lot of people here, though?

Simply put, sometimes absolutly sucking is the most healthy and best option FOR AN ORGANIZATION.

Also Jeffry/Hill over Martin? I mean maybe you do have a point there, but on certain mock drafts Martin was a top 15 talent at one point or another and those two receivers NEVER WERE. So, although you may have a point, people that really know football better than you or I most likely had Martin on thier boards over Jeffry/Hill so it treally doesn't even matter what I think, smartand traditional football people see things my way. People like Tom Coughlin.

It doesn't matter how many LT you or any other fan knows. It's not a glamorous position so it doesn't get a lot of pub. The guys you do know? Yeah they are known because the OL gave them enough time to make plays.

Obviously you don't need Joe Thomas or Jake Long to win a Super Bowl, but you can't do it with a scrub either. Right now our only options are scrub or Jake Long. Next year you want to re-balance the payroll by using Long's cap space for an average guy at LT and a playmaker at WR, I'm all for it. Just not interested in watching a scrub at LT this year. The offense is going to struggle enough this year, don't make it worse.

Of course it doesn't matter how many you know.

Point is, you don't need superstar left tackles in this league to protect your QB. Any decent left tackle will do just fine. Stop spending top draft picks on ****ing lineman. Go out and get guys who make a difference in the W and L columns.

No defensive coordinator game plans for a left tackle. They're out to stop your weapons...weapons that we just don't have right now. Who is saying that if you don't have a Pro Bowl player at left tackle then you have to have a scrub?

I'm saying that because look at our roster. Who else is going to play LT if we trade Jake Long right now as you propose ? We don't have "any decent left tackle" available to us at this point in the season. They're all signed or scrubs.

The guys that we have aren't great by any stretch, but they are NFL players. They can play at this level. Coach these dudes up. That's what great coaches do. Starts from the top down.

Back
Top Bottom