Why don't we trade for a receiver? HONESTLY? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why don't we trade for a receiver? HONESTLY?

Let's talk Green Bay Packers football for a second.

Their defense is worse than ours. They can't stop the run. They can't stop the pass.

They can't run the football. We did that fairly well last season and did it fairly well on Sunday against Houston.

But these dudes were 15-1 last season. Super Bowl Champions the year before. We were 6-10.

Name Green Bay's left tackle.

See how much of a difference a QB and WR weapons make?

To be fair, that same Green Bay team just got smacked in the mouth by a 49er team that's taken 3 offensive linemen in the first round since '07.

To be fair, that same Green Bay team just got smacked in the mouth by a 49er team that's taken 3 offensive linemen in the first round since '07.

That's what I'm saying. They are not this great football team that people make them out to be.

But the difference maker for them is QB and weapons.

Our defense overall is better than Green Bay's defense. We stop the run better than they do. We stop the pass better than they do. We run the football better than they do.

The only thing that they do far better than us is throw the football down the field.

They win 15 games. We win 6 games.

This league is all about your QB being capable of throwing the football to weapons. It's not about left tackles.

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? He never said it wasn't important at all. He is saying it shouldn't be given so much priority as to completely ignore the other positions on offense.

The O-line is supposed to work as one cohesive unit, when you get rid of it's most important part, it will destroy that unit to the point where the Dolphins will have to start from scratch (Yet again) to fix the line.

I already know Cane is much smarter then that, but the continued idea of getting rid of your most experienced and talented linemen is also making the team go backwards instead of forwards

Let's talk Green Bay Packers football for a second.

Their defense is worse than ours. They can't stop the run. They can't stop the pass.

They can't run the football. We did that fairly well last season and did it fairly well on Sunday against Houston.

But these dudes were 15-1 last season. Super Bowl Champions the year before. We were 6-10.

Name Green Bay's left tackle.

See how much of a difference a QB and WR weapons make?

Uh, I think that would have been Chad Clifton who made the Pro Bowl in 2011 as their LT when they went to the Superbowl. He was only their LT for 12 years...

Also, that 49er team has done an incredible coaching job. You can take Alex Smith and get one game from the Super Bowl after being a door mat in the NFC, that's coaching. Defense did a total 180.

But without a top tier QB and some weapons, it's hard to get to that point. Even as good as Harbaugh and that defense is, it will be tough for them to beat great offensive teams in the NFC. It might be different this year, though. After watching week on games, these replacement refs are letting these guys play. Usual officials would have thrown some flags on defensive plays had they been in the game. I think this season we'll see offensive production around the league take a slight dip.

That's what I'm saying. They are not this great football team that people make them out to be.

But the difference maker for them is QB and weapons.

Our defense overall is better than Green Bay's defense. We stop the run better than they do. We stop the pass better than they do. We run the football better than they do.

The only thing that they do far better than us is throw the football down the field.

They win 15 games. We win 6 games.

This league is all about your QB being capable of throwing the football to weapons. It's not about left tackles.

Where we disagree is I don't think there's an end-all, be-all blueprint out there for winning a Superbowl. I think the 49ers are the best team in the league right now. They're doing it on defense, they're doing it upfront in the trenches, they're doing it by running the ball, & they're out physical-ing people. Despite Crabtree's draft status, I wouldn't call Crabtree, A.J Jenkins, & 35 year old Randy Moss to be an elite group of receivers. I also wouldn't call Alex Smith an elite quarterback, but I do think he's doing a hell of a job managing the games for them. Vernon Davis is by far their most explosive weapon.

The reason Green Bay or the Patriots can't pay some of their other players is because they're paying the Quarterbacks 18 million dollars a season. We wont be paying Tannehill anywhere near that amount at least for the next 3-4 years. You can get away with paying Jake Long 10 million a season for the next few years, & still afford a couple nice pieces at receiver.

Damn, people are so narrow signted on this board its ridiculous.

We are not a WR away from the superbowl.

Stop talking about trading our best O-line man and a top 5 tackle in the league that will only lead to Tannehill getting killed on the field.

We have 1 1st Rounder, 2 2nd Rounders and 2 3rd Rounders in the next draft. Expect alot of moves from this team in 2013. Don't be surprised if we end up with 3 first round picks by the time the draft rolls around.

People need to be patient, yes we are re-building (once again).

One WR is not going to do all that much-this year. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably has no business trying to pontificate on football in the first place. However, it is also a microcosm of the dearth of offensive talent on this team. The discussion is a very valid and meritous one, imo. As it pertains to Jake Long, it's pretty simple. He is in a contract year. He has played at a high level but has also shown a pattern of getting nicked up a lot. Either you do or don't think he is worth what it would take to sign him to a long term deal this offseason. Personally, I don't. Not in the current NFL, where scheme is more important than a lot of things. I am not a huge fan of having that much cap tied into one person who never even touches the ball, quite frankly. Is he an upper echelon talent? Yes. Do I feel he is as important as his next contract will dictate? Not really.

I think the team would be better served allocating that money elsewhere. With the money Long will command, they can sign an above average tackle and a good WR, if not more.

Damn, people are so narrow signted on this board its ridiculous.

We are not a WR away from the superbowl.

Stop talking about trading our best O-line man and a top 5 tackle in the league that will only lead to Tannehill getting killed on the field.

We have 1 1st Rounder, 2 2nd Rounders and 2 3rd Rounders in the next draft. Expect alot of moves from this team in 2013. Don't be surprised if we end up with 3 first round picks by the time the draft rolls around.

People need to be patient, yes we are re-building (once again).
I doubt Jcane is talking about trading long right now, "for the benefit of this year". I'm sure he would say he would be getting the benefits of the trade now for the good of next year. Ain't nothing going on for this year it seems, anywhere in the org aside from learning and getting average players better and seeing who developes. I'm not sure if it is a good time for teams to "buy" but Longs stock can't get any higher than it is, so his stock could only go down throughout this season. I like long, but if we knew the resources were going to be used well (which at this point we don't) it is not horrible to think of having better playmakers VS Left Tackle. Obviously a LT is huge in this league so no doubt people would disagree with Jcane.

Uh, I think that would have been Chad Clifton who made the Pro Bowl in 2011 as their LT when they went to the Superbowl. He was only their LT for 12 years...

Great player. Forgot about him.

Two-time Pro Bowl selection.

Drafted in the second round. 44th overall.

We don't need to trade. There are receivables available for nothing that are an upgrade over what we have - Plax, Stallworth, Branch, etc.

iagree 100% and theres noway in hell we can lose on bringing those guys in ever since plax shot himself by accident ,how much trouble has he been in ? answer-NONE and he would upgrade our WRs 100% OPEN UP THE FIELD FOR THE REST OF OR WRs AND Tanny would have more time to throw the ball because they wouldnt stack the line as much.

I bet we could fleece The Bears out of a butt load of picks for Long right now...

Back
Top Bottom