Why Isn’t Minkah On The Field More? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Isn’t Minkah On The Field More?

Minkah was drafted to play FS... McCain is not playing slot CB because we suck so much at the #2 CB spot. As a result, Minkah fills for McCain at the slot.

The thought is - right or wrong - TJ McDonald, McCain, Fitzpatrick ALL playing out of position is better than having them all playing their natural positions and having a big void at #2 CB (where McCain is filling in) and puts McDonald on the bench.

I honestly have less gripe about that^ decision than a lot of others (or their inability to develop Tankersly... based on our player development as of late, I put Tanks stunted growth on the coaches more than the player).

Poor coaching, poor player development, and a lack of depth and talent on the defense. Coming into the season this defense sucked and coming into the season a reasoned mind had this team no better than 8-8... Expecting otherwise, year after year, is just foolish beyond measure.

Fitz may have been drafted to play safety. Or they may have said that because they already signed their slot CB to be the richest slot CB. He was quickly moved to the slot. Gase also felt he was the type of DB they could play on all 3 downs and move all over because he’s a bigger DB thats also capable of running with any WR. Traditionally, slot CBs are smaller, but adding a bigger more physical guy like Fitz could defend the run, cover TEs or the best WRs in the league. He was drafted to shut down guys like AB, Thielen and Tate. He’s a versatile playmaker who could be moved around to shadow these sort of players all over the field. If Fins don’t use him for that then they’re idiots for drafting him.

Tank showed promise last year. You nor I know what’s going on with Tank. I know this, he entered the preseason and quickly became a liability. I’d venture that’s on him; not coaching.

Last edited:
Fitz may have been drafted to play safety. Or they may have said that because they already signed their slot CB to be the richest slot CB. He was quickly moved to the slot. Gase also felt he was the type of DB they could play on all 3 downs and move all over because he’s a bigger DB thats also capable of running with any WR. Traditionally, slot CBs are smaller, but adding a bigger more physical guy like Fitz could defend the run, cover TEs or the best WRs in the league. He was drafted to shut down guys like AB, Thielen and Tate. He’s a versatile playmaker who could be moved around to shadow these sort of players all over the field. If Fins don’t use him for that then they’re idiots for drafting him.

Tank showed promise last year. You nor I know what’s going on with Tank. I know this, he entered the preseason and quickly became a liability. I’d venture that’s on him; not coaching.

100% agreed. He's versatile enough to just play where he is needed, a la Tyrann Mathieu

I think if Tank was playing as good or better than what we've seen from McTyer out there, he would be playing.

Isn't that crazy, though? He had some bad moments last season and some GREAT ones too - some nice coverage in crunch to win a game or two.

What the hell happened? Lou leaving as DB coach and his development fell off a cliff? Is he injured? A locker room problem? Isn't it insane that he fell THAT far off a cliff? Something has to be up.

Must drive Ross NUTS....he wanted a QB in the draft....we draft a "top 10 Safety/DB" then not use him enough....ummmm

Isn't that crazy, though? He had some bad moments last season and some GREAT ones too - some nice coverage in crunch to win a game or two.

What the hell happened? Lou leaving as DB coach and his development fell off a cliff? Is he injured? A locker room problem? Isn't it insane that he fell THAT far off a cliff? Something has to be up.

no idea. kills me.

Listen to podcasts such as 3 Yards Per Carry (Simon Clancy, Chris Kouffman, Alf Arteaga) and Locked On Dolphins (Travis Wingfield) and these types of questions are always answered. These guys helped me understand the game more.

Fitzpatrick was always best as a CB imo. Is he the best FS on the team? Probably, but if you're talking about maximizing his talents, it's at CB. So, if I'm looking to get him on the field more often (would be a good idea), it's by kicking him outside for base sets - not moving him back to FS.

Fitzpatrick was always best as a CB imo. Is he the best FS on the team? Probably, but if you're talking about maximizing his talents, it's at CB. So, if I'm looking to get him on the fiels more often (would be a good idea), it's by kicking him outside for base sets - not moving him back to FS.
If that’s the case why don’t they put him opposite Howard full time as a true CB instead of moving him around everywhere? It’s like they’re masking the deficiencies of this defense by making him do everything.

If that’s the case why don’t they put him opposite Howard full time as a true CB instead of moving him around everywhere? It’s like they’re masking the deficiencies of this defense by making him do everything.

I think they see that he makes a lot of plays in the box and want him closer to the ball. His absolute best position may be Slot CB, so I understand them wanting to play him inside in Nickel and Dime (which Miami doesn't use enough - CK has harped on it), but I don't see why they wouldn't move him back outside on base sets, and I also think they use base sets too often. In general, Miami's approach is confusing.

Yeah they did what was convenient instead of completely thinking things through. You draft a guy at 11 to play FS, not slot. You put him at FS. You pay another guy to be a slot cb, you put him at slot cb. Then you find someone somewhere to man the other cb position. That is what will keep your #1 pick on the field 100% of the time. That was the initial plan which now they have screwed up.

Now Minkah doesn't have the experience he should have gotten playing at FS, so if/when he is ever moved back to that position, he will show growing pains.

How do fans draw the conclusion that he should be playing Safety instead of slot corner when he played slot corner the majority of the time at Alabama? I’d make the argument he should be on the field 100% of the time so move him to safety or outside corner when there’s no need for a nickel package. But he should play 75% of the snaps at nickel CB. That’s absolutely where he had the most success in college.

Which brings me back to why would you pay McCain top slot CB money then draft a slot CB? I love Fitz, but c’mon. So many needs and they double down on slot CB? Just dumb...typical Miami decision.
Learned something new today.

Now Minkah doesn't have the experience he should have gotten playing at FS, so if/when he is ever moved back to that position, he will show growing pains.
Basically its Tunsil all over again. Starting as LG then shifting over LT and people have a conniption.

Back
Top Bottom