Why Isn’t Minkah On The Field More? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Isn’t Minkah On The Field More?

Because Matt Burke is stupid.

You got a phenomenal young player that you're developing, and he's already maybe the best player on your team, you GET HIM ON THE FIELD. He's versatile? That's GREAT! When you only have 4 DBs on the field, you play him at safety. This is a problem? Matt Burke is a stone cold idiot.

Because Matt Burke is stupid.

You got a phenomenal young player that you're developing, and he's already maybe the best player on your team, you GET HIM ON THE FIELD. He's versatile? That's GREAT! When you only have 4 DBs on the field, you play him at safety. This is a problem? Matt Burke is a stone cold idiot.

Well in Matt Burke's defense (not his horrid defense on the field), he was just supposed to be a yes man for the side of the ball the HC doesnt give a **** about...

I say throw Tank in that #2 CB spot and let him take his lumps. Can’t be any worse than it is right now.

Tank is in the tank thanks to yesterday's practice where he tore his ACL.......Another in a long line of injuries besetting this team this year. Unbelievable!!!!!!

How do fans draw the conclusion that he should be playing Safety instead of slot corner when he played slot corner the majority of the time at Alabama? I’d make the argument he should be on the field 100% of the time so move him to safety or outside corner when there’s no need for a nickel package. But he should play 75% of the snaps at nickel CB. That’s absolutely where he had the most success in college.

Which brings me back to why would you pay McCain top slot CB money then draft a slot CB? I love Fitz, but c’mon. So many needs and they double down on slot CB? Just dumb...typical Miami decision.
Just because he played mostly slot at Bama doesn’t mean it’s his best position, FS is absolutely where he should be.. every down

Just because he played mostly slot at Bama doesn’t mean it’s his best position, FS is absolutely where he should be.. every down

Based on what? What makes it so absolute? He played FS early in his college career, but he made a name for himself at slot CB late in his college career by playing primarily in the slot but showing he’s capable of being moved around. He’s even said slot CB is his natural position.

minkah has the best defensive success rate in the slot in the nfl

Based on what? What makes it so absolute? He played FS early in his college career, but he made a name for himself at slot CB late in his college career by playing primarily in the slot but showing he’s capable of being moved around. He’s even said slot CB is his natural position.
I’m not an expert with football terms but I always believe I have a good feel about players that I’ve watched every game, he has GREAT instincts and obviously you know he’s a student of the game. If you’re at cb it’s more about sticking to your man and less about analyzing. He’s gotten better at man coverage but that was actually a weaker point sometimes in college. He couldn’t stop renfroe in the championship game. Put him at FS and he will take control of the defense, and he can be utilized at the los and backend. I still think he’d be great at slot and probowl level, but you put him at FS and he’ll be an Ed Reed type of playmaker, no doubt in my mind. What was that exact quote because I thought he said he could play any position at a high level. And I’m pretty sure Coach Saban was one to say that FS would be his best fit as well. Sure he can probably shut most slot receivers down, but he will be a game changing playmaker whenever our coaching staff decides to move him there full time. Guarantee it eventually happens

Why do you think he’d be better in slot?

Minkah is so damn good I'd consider playing him at CB 2.

Keep McCain in the slot where he works best.

But Minkah needs to be on the field for every defensive snap. I prefer him at FS, but limiting him to slot corner is full retard.

tenor.gif

How did he do playing FS in college?

Also: Is he a smart player? Is he coachable? Does he have the physical traits required of a free safety? How are his instincts?

I think he fits the FS position moreso than slot CB. He has more experience at slot so of course he feels it's his natural position. I doubt any other team would have drafted Minkah and started him at slot other then Miami.

He explains it better than I could

This was actually covered in the PFF Preseason all NFL thread. I stated it was a mistake to play him in the slot then, and it's still a mistake. The fact that he'll miss snaps because of the assignment is just one of the many reasons he should be a FS now, IMO.

Why should we keep our best players on the field? It's better to keep them on the sidelines and have more 8-8 season which lots of people here seem to like.

Fitzpatrick was always best as a CB imo. Is he the best FS on the team? Probably, but if you're talking about maximizing his talents, it's at CB. So, if I'm looking to get him on the field more often (would be a good idea), it's by kicking him outside for base sets - not moving him back to FS.

I've come around on this in recent years, as the league became more pass oriented. Don't over think the situation or nit pick the strengths and weaknesses of the specific player. If he's an elite talent and capable of either inside or outside, the choice has to be outside.

But here's the problem: As the game has become more of a year round profession with two dozenish assistant coaches, the teams want to believe that more analysis and more tape study and more brain trust debates are preferable to a simple truism.

Back
Top Bottom