Why The Miami Dolphins Will NOT Draft A QB in '20 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why The Miami Dolphins Will NOT Draft A QB in '20

Again, we disagree . . . a little. First, as a reminder, I'm in favor of drafting a QB as long as it's not a reach. And I agree, Flo and staff can't know with certainty. But, they HAVE to feel they know enough by draft day. That's when they decide to skip on a QB or move on from Rosen. They won't have a choice of 'don't know yet.' And that decision will be made while he's in a red shirt.
The point Im trying to make here is, when it comes to the QB position, if you dont know whether you have a quality QB on your roster or not, the cost of assuming you do is alot more steep than the cost of assuming you dont. Especially if all you have working in your favor is practice reps, when the player completely failed during actual games.

What I believe is that what they actually know doesnt matter. What Rosen does in practice is almost irrelevant, the practice environement is such a different beast for QBs you cant just use that info and project it to real game snaps. Im mean sure you'll get a sense of what he gets and what he needs to improve on, but not to the point where you flat out ignore the position because of a hunch.

If fundamentals to the offense, like presnap reads and info processing, improve dramatically over time in practice, they would absolutely expect better results.

Not saying we shouldn’t draft another QB. Just saying practice does matter. If you can’t do it in practice, you can’t in a game.

Not directed at anyone in particular, just a comment on the recent exchange.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that we pull a "stand Pat Reilly" because of Rosen.

My take is more that if the opportunity to get someone they really like, at a pick of value, isn't there, then it may be better to pass rd1, and take someone in rd2. The thinking being that between Fitz and a possibly better JR, we can get by, until the rookie develops (or doesn't).

I'm not opineing on the wisdom, just speculating that not many are of the opinion that we should base the decision soley on JR, although from Flo's perspective, it probably enters into the equation to some extent.

My take on this hasn't changed much... Never trade up for a player unless he is the final piece, and that isn't the case with us. We still have too many holes.
That said... if Grier/Flores feel that Tua or Herbert is the guy, then ok... take him with 1a. But if there is ANY uncertainty... don't. If you are going to take a guy in the top 5, you'd better be freaking positive!

The point Im trying to make here is, when it comes to the QB position, if you dont know whether you have a quality QB on your roster or not, the cost of assuming you do is alot more steep than the cost of assuming you dont. Especially if all you have working in your favor is practice reps, when the player completely failed during actual games.

Don't disagree. My point is there are shades of not knowing and no ones knows where Miami's cutoff is. 'without question?' 'Pretty sure?' 'toss up?' Given his major problem, IMO, was the mental quickness needed for the position, I'd like to see him for at least 1Q, but I'm not the one deciding

View attachment 35231

LOL, I was thinking we still need to draft one but if there isn't one worthy of an early pick, don't reach grab one just for the sake of drafting one early, get one late and shoot for 2021. I still think we need to draft one just not reach if he's not there. This light is bright man!
Ji
Right now I dont feel comfortable about our qb situation..if I was head coach. It not all his fault..that hand he was dealt.. Fitzpatrick can work for another yr. If dolphins do right add some key player in free agent. They should win 6 to 8 game next yr. 2021 is going be problem w this team. They go need QB by than to get to next level playoff.. bills,N.E,Hou,kc Cle,pit, ravens, oak and tenn this are team dolphins must closed cap against...

View attachment 35231

LOL, I was thinking we still need to draft one but if there isn't one worthy of an early pick, don't reach grab one just for the sake of drafting one early, get one late and shoot for 2021. I still think we need to draft one just not reach if he's not there. This light is bright man!
Ji
Right now I dont feel comfortable about our qb situation.. Fitzpatrick is good for another year. What happened after that is unknown.. if I was head coach. It not all his fault..that hand he was dealt..

My take on this hasn't changed much... Never trade up for a player unless he is the final piece, and that isn't the case with us. We still have too many holes.
That said... if Grier/Flores feel that Tua or Herbert is the guy, then ok... take him with 1a. But if there is ANY uncertainty... don't. If you are going to take a guy in the top 5, you'd better be freaking positive!
I agree with that. If Flo thinks Herbert is "the guy", then by all means, get him.

As it stands now, my opinion is #5 is a reach for him, and I don't touch Tua with a ten foot pole.

Eason looked good in the bowl game vs Boise state.
He is a weird one in that he could use another year at Washington, but I have heard that the cupboard will be bare there next year so it will be tough to eval him with the talent around him- so he does he try to develop there by playing with no players around him or to develop sitting in the NFL?
So I've heard. But man can he wing it.
I'm also an Eason fan. He just declared for the NFL draft, so he will be there... but where is the big question with him. I agree, he isn't quite ready yet. Hope we get him.

You just cant pass up on QB prospects because you have a QB that looked absolutely horrid in games but seems be be getting better when playing with a red shirt on...

Spare me the "We dont know" argument... They dont ****ing know either, if they truly think they can project how he plays in practice onto real games, with his actual real games being as bad as they were, then they're flat out delusionnal.
Tannehill didn't look too good behind our shitty oline either and now look at him, with a solid oline and a running game. Rosen wasn't given a chance IMO in either Arizona or Miami, behind two of the worst olines in decades. I'd bet that Rosen will be in the mix to be our starter in 2020. Still think we will draft a Jordan Love type prospect in the later rounds, but don't think Miami will be using a 1st or 2nd round pick on QB unless someone they really like drops like a rock.

Tannehill didn't look too good behind our ****ty oline either and now look at him, with a solid oline and a running game. Rosen wasn't given a chance IMO in either Arizona or Miami, behind two of the worst olines in decades. I'd bet that Rosen will be in the mix to be our starter in 2020. Still think we will draft a Jordan Love type prospect in the later rounds, but don't think Miami will be using a 1st or 2nd round pick on QB unless someone they really like drops like a rock.
I doubt Love slips past the 2nd round.

Tannehill didn't look too good behind our ****ty oline either and now look at him, with a solid oline and a running game. Rosen wasn't given a chance IMO in either Arizona or Miami, behind two of the worst olines in decades. I'd bet that Rosen will be in the mix to be our starter in 2020. Still think we will draft a Jordan Love type prospect in the later rounds, but don't think Miami will be using a 1st or 2nd round pick on QB unless someone they really like drops like a rock.
Lets call the Fins offense this season an environement which includes coaching, OL, receiving options, playcalling... whatever you can think of....

In this environement, Ryan Ftzpatrick, a QB who's seen his fair share of "evironements"(actually broke records in that department) is actually outperforming his career rating.

The fact that Flores flat out told the world he couldnt walk in front of the team and tell them he was starting Rosen, over a bottom of the barrel QB, with a straight face tells you all you need to know.

Back
Top Bottom