Wide Receivers | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wide Receivers

Stand by inside out theory. If Sewell is there I take him. You buy your QB more time in the pocket and improve the run game.

Miami has so many holes on this team, that ignoring the offensive line is back to the days of dumpster diving or bargain bin shopping a vast majority of posters advocated here for a good portion of a decade.

Just because you spend one draft and one offseason on a couple FAs, doesn't mean its sustainable or finished.

I'm not against drafting WR or trading for one. I'm just against taking a WR with our first pick at 3. I will say again, I throw a 3rd at KC and see if we can pry M. Hardman away from them.

And Albert Wilson.....if only his stats and track record held up to the pedestal you folks firmly place his ass on.

The top 25 WRs (Yards) in 2020
1. Stefon Diggs 1535 5th(146)
2. DeAndre Hopkins 1407 1st(27)
3. Justin Jefferson 1400 1st(22)
4. Calvin Ridley 1374 1st(26)
5. DeVante Adams 1374 2nd(53)
6. DK Metcalf 1303 2nd(64)
7. Tyreek Hill 1276 5th(165)
8. Allen Robinson 1250 2nd(61)
9. DJ Moore 1193 1st(24)
10. Brandin Cooks 1150 1st(20)
11. Terry McLaurin 1118 3rd(76)
12. Amari Cooper 1114 1st(4)
13. Robby Anderson 1096 UDFA
14. AJ Brown 1075 2nd(51)
15. Tyler Lockett 1054 3rd(69)
16. Mike Evans 1006 1st(7)
17. Keenan Allen 992 3rd(76)
18. Corey Davis 984 1st(5)
19. Marvin Jones 978 5th(166)
20. Cooper Kupp 974 3rd(69)
21. Cole Beasley 967 UDFA
22. Robert Woods 936 2nd(41)
23. CeeDee Lamb 935 1st(17)
24. Adam Thielen 925 UDFA
25. Diontae Johnson 923 3rd(66)

So of the top 25 WRs in the league for this season 9 are 1st round picks. 5 are 2nd round picks. 5 are 3rd round picks. 3 are 5th round picks. 3 are undrafted free agents.

3 of these WRs were selected in the top 7 of their respective draft...
Amari Cooper 4 OVR Ranked 12th YDs
Corey Davis 5 OVR Ranked 18th YDs
Mike Evans 7 OVR Ranked 17th YDs

Only 1 of these 25 WRs have won a Super Bowl and that was Tyreek Hill just last season.

I charted these results bc obviously we are looking at the potential of drafting a WR at #3. Some have already decided to turn the card in for DeVonta Smith but after seeing these results are we sure we want to draft a WR at #3 if our goal is to win a Super Bowl? Granted its just this years worth of data but I find it quite surprising that only 1 of the top 25 WRs in football by yards have won a Super Bowl.

Will this data steer anyone away from wanting a WR at #3 so badly? What say you?
Well, there was a time when RB's were a huge part of the offense but now you need good/great WR's to have a chance.

There are 2 rookies on your list, so thats 2 guys that couldnt have possibly won a SB... Following the same logic, 8 players on your list have played 3 seasons or less. Only 2 SB opportunities for those guys. So unless these guy were drafted by KC or NE, well though luck, the WR position is dead in the NFL...?

Also, that number will go up in about 3 weeks from now...
People can come up with a list or stats to fit any agenda. The fact is you need top WR's to have a chance these days.

People can come up with a list or stats to fit any agenda. The fact is you need top WR's to have a chance these days.
Yep. It’s like saying “half of the receivers taken in the first round bust” “half of the tackles bust” “2/3 of the qbs bust” etc etc.. on and on. Bottom line - some players won’t go to the right situations and won’t ever improve and are busts. Happens to highly touted guys all the time. Sometimes though those late round guys shine (tyreek, diggs... brady, ANY POSITION) .... but no matter what- your best bet is at the top of the draft no matter who or what you want to draft.

I don't have any agenda. I didn't post this to fit my narrative. I want to trade down I've made that very clear. If we can't I want to take Sewell but would understand if they took a WR. I prefer Chase but would understand if it was Smith and be more than OK. My point in this was just to put it out there and see what people thought. Im not pushing amy agenda and even if I was does it really matter what I or anyone on this board thinks? Were not going to make the selections so its a moot point. It was just for discussion nothing more nothing less.

I say you have to treat each individual player individually

be it qb or anything else and what school he’s come from or who he’s played or hasn’t played etc.

So I don’t really buy into the this position hasnt panned out at this pick prior stuff.

there are exceptions to everything. Of course we don’t want to be banking on any exception with a top 3 pick or top 6 or 8 or whatever in a trade down.

I’m a firm believer in the more you chase quantity the more you sacrifice quality.

I’m just not locked into I got to have a wr cause it’s my biggest need with the texans asset pick stuff

I want the best player my pick can buy and yes I’m not afraid of betting on upside if the talents there. I love what can this kid be in 2 years type upside plays. Ceiling projection I guess I’d call it

Top 132 recievers in the NFL, average separation is 3.2 yards. Parker is 1.7, Gesicki 2.0, Ford 2.8 and Grant 3.1. We don't even have one reciever above average, and the one who is close, is a midget who can't catch. Of the 132, Parker is the worst. Shouldn't be to hard to upgrade from this pathetic group.
What was Parkers average separation last year?

I stick with Swell at 3 unless a option to trade down to top 7 if possible.
This reciever thing is important, but keeping Tua healthy is more important and that tackle can help the running game, which rests the defense and opens up the play action. I would want at least a 1 st and 2 2nds to move back and possibly more. You have 2QBs, 1 OT, 1 linebacker, 2 wrs and a CB in those 7 picks so it's a gamble you might end up with Surtain which opens the door for a X trade of course.

The top 25 WRs (Yards) in 2020
1. Stefon Diggs 1535 5th(146)
2. DeAndre Hopkins 1407 1st(27)
3. Justin Jefferson 1400 1st(22)
4. Calvin Ridley 1374 1st(26)
5. DeVante Adams 1374 2nd(53)
6. DK Metcalf 1303 2nd(64)
7. Tyreek Hill 1276 5th(165)
8. Allen Robinson 1250 2nd(61)
9. DJ Moore 1193 1st(24)
10. Brandin Cooks 1150 1st(20)
11. Terry McLaurin 1118 3rd(76)
12. Amari Cooper 1114 1st(4)
13. Robby Anderson 1096 UDFA
14. AJ Brown 1075 2nd(51)
15. Tyler Lockett 1054 3rd(69)
16. Mike Evans 1006 1st(7)
17. Keenan Allen 992 3rd(76)
18. Corey Davis 984 1st(5)
19. Marvin Jones 978 5th(166)
20. Cooper Kupp 974 3rd(69)
21. Cole Beasley 967 UDFA
22. Robert Woods 936 2nd(41)
23. CeeDee Lamb 935 1st(17)
24. Adam Thielen 925 UDFA
25. Diontae Johnson 923 3rd(66)

So of the top 25 WRs in the league for this season 9 are 1st round picks. 5 are 2nd round picks. 5 are 3rd round picks. 3 are 5th round picks. 3 are undrafted free agents.

3 of these WRs were selected in the top 7 of their respective draft...
Amari Cooper 4 OVR Ranked 12th YDs
Corey Davis 5 OVR Ranked 18th YDs
Mike Evans 7 OVR Ranked 17th YDs

Only 1 of these 25 WRs have won a Super Bowl and that was Tyreek Hill just last season.

I charted these results bc obviously we are looking at the potential of drafting a WR at #3. Some have already decided to turn the card in for DeVonta Smith but after seeing these results are we sure we want to draft a WR at #3 if our goal is to win a Super Bowl? Granted its just this years worth of data but I find it quite surprising that only 1 of the top 25 WRs in football by yards have won a Super Bowl.

Will this data steer anyone away from wanting a WR at #3 so badly? What say you?
When you were making your list did you also notice that there were no Dolphins on this list? Just pointing why you SHOULD take a Heisman-winning receiver that high if you're going to try to match higher powered offenses.

When you were making your list did you also notice that there were no Dolphins on this list? Just pointing why you SHOULD take a Heisman-winning receiver that high if you're going to try to match higher powered offenses.
Once again bro I'm not against taking a WR. Im against taking a WR at 3. The value just is not their.

We have the luxury to think outside the box on who we pick at 3 and I'll be happy with Sewell, Smith, Chase, Waddle, even Surtain if X leave for greener pastures. If Smith is a game changer I don't care if he is taken at 3 all day and twice on Sunday (sorry always wanted to say that). My best case situation, trade backa few slots, grab one of these projected beasts and roll with it while gaining a second. I want a wr, RB, LB, Edge rusher and won't cry if we get a olineman/center somewhere, even early because we need interior help for our new rb.

If you can get a trade for even a couple of spots back and miss on the guy you wanted, then that's the gamble you take. But like someone said earlier, if we don't take him at 3, the Falcons will be glad to take him at 4

Recency bias is strong on this forum. Reaching for smith at 3 would be a huge mistake. People seem to forget what waddle did his first 4 games before he got hurt. Why would you reach for smith when you can get better value for waddle who very well might end up being the better player. Trade back inside the top 10, take Pitts, the matchup nightmare, and then try to grab waddle at 18 or kadarius toney in 2nd. This may sound like a contrarian take now but come april it wont be.

Back
Top Bottom