Wide Receivers | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wide Receivers

Normally I'd agree with you. But Penei Sewell isn't a normal OT.
I feel like the Sewell hype is a game of telephone where we're at the point now where everybody has just parroted the word "generational" so much that we're talking about Sewell as the best OT in the history of mankind.

He gave up 1 sack in 2 years playing in a conference that doesn't play defense. Jake Long gave up 1 sack in 4 years in a conference that did, so I don't even believe that Sewell is the better than Long and he didn't move the needle for us on offense much where we're sitting here 12 years later still kicking ourselves for not taking Matt Ryan. And to add on to that we're going to move him to RIGHT TACKLE which is literally adding a projection into the equation? No thanks.

I just feel like we need to get a guy that is actually responsible for scoring touchdowns.

No matter how you look at it, only 8 wide receivers made all pro drafted in the first round since the year 2000, and 2 of them as punt returners. The thread started made a thread about discussing players in the league that might be free agents, and the first thing some of you post is non-sense facts like, "how many of them went to the Super Bowl?". Doesn't matter if they went to the big game or not, what matters is that they can run a route, catch a ball, and provide depth to a position we highly need.

I get your point and it's valid however using that as a measurable for this team might be a tough sell. Every team knew we couldn't run the ball, and had lack of threats so they played close and sat on us.
Parker still catches everything thrown at him so I'm not really concerned about his separation.

We absolutely need wr help. At least 2 top end guys need to join Parker and gesecki. If we can trade down and still get chase.... sign me up!
Parker was one of the league leaders in drops who ALSO can't separate.

The Browns do not have the best receivers in the league and they made it to the second round. Landry’s stats are no better than Parker’s and I think Gesicki is better than Hooper. Granted the Browns are without Beckham but they made the playoffs, and have won a playoff game so far. In my opinion, the reason they are still successful despite loosing Beckham is because they have one of the best offensive lines in the league. That’s what drives their team not the star receivers because they only have one star, Beckham, and he‘s been our since week 7. This is suppose to be another rebuilding year for the Dolphins. I’d like to see them get that line shored up before improving the receiver position. I do think Gaskin is a complete back who would have much better success if he was running behind a better line. Like I said we should still be in rebuild mode in year 3. I’d like to see them take Sewell and either Slater, Davis or Tucker and sure up the line before they start adding skill pieces at Wr.
Nah

Who are the top 5-10 LT's in the NFL? How many have won a SB?

Joe Thomas was considered to be the best LT in the NFL throughout his career how many times did the Browns even make the playoffs with him? Randy Moss was on 2 different teams that scored the most points in NFL history, LT's don't move the needle as far as impact the way WR's can. I think I rather have an elite WR and an above average LT compared to an elite LT and an above average WR. As a matter of fact I rather have an elite receiving group (WRs/TEs) and an above average OL as oppose to an elite OL and an above average receiving group.
In the modern NFL, yes

Notice how many WR's on this list excel at creating separation. That’s what you need - guys who can get open.
I keep on preaching this over and over. Precision route running is massive in the NFL now a days. With all the rule changes CBs just can't grap/bump near as much to disrupt routes. Also with so many offenses going to quicker single stem routes where the QB is throwing the ball before the WR breaks it is so important to create early seperation out the break. If the WR does this he hits his spots on time and the QB trusts the his man is going to hit his spot. Also more YAC as well.

I also think you are already seeing the trend of guys who don't have the eye popping combine numbers going higher in the draft if they create seperation.

This is why I really like Smith. I can't remember ever watching a college WR set up CBs better then Smith does. I have seen people say well Sark/bama O gets him so open. Ya some plays sure but a lot of them is Smith just making a CB look silly from the start. Smith sometimes reminds me of watching a PG in in basketball ball were he sets up the defender with a good juke and the defender just trips on his own feet. With Smith a lot of times if you really watch him from the start or the route I keep saying to myself damn he just made that CB his bitch.

I keep on preaching this over and over. Precision route running is massive in the NFL now a days. With all the rule changes CBs just can't grap/bump near as much to disrupt routes. Also with so many offenses going to quicker single stem routes where the QB is throwing the ball before the WR breaks it is so important to create early seperation out the break. If the WR does this he hits his spots on time and the QB trusts the his man is going to hit his spot. Also more YAC as well.

I also think you are already seeing the trend of guys who don't have the eye popping combine numbers going higher in the draft if they create seperation.

This is why I really like Smith. I can't remember ever watching a college WR set up CBs better then Smith does. I have seen people say well Sark/bama O gets him so open. Ya some plays sure but a lot of them is Smith just making a CB look silly from the start. Smith sometimes reminds me of watching a PG in in basketball ball were he sets up the defender with a good juke and the defender just trips on his own feet. With Smith a lot of times if you really watch him from the start or the route I keep saying to myself damn he just made that CB his bitch.

Really good post. I agree with all of it. WR maybe even more than QB is a position where skill > quantifiable athleticism. I'd say it's a little different for bigger WR's, because they can win by physically dominating CB's, but I still prefer someone who can separate at will.

Sewell is good but there's at least one guy(granted he's with espn which sucks) who think Sewell is not even the best OT in this draft.
While I and most disagree with that analyst, there is a valid point there. Most of the opt out players are going to be a step behind. Almost like returning from an injury. So one could say that Slater or Tucker are more ready right now. It will also depend a bunch on their character. Did they still drill and work out? If the Dolphins decide that Smith or Chase are just too good to pass up, I will accept that. However, I feel they NEED to get that line in order and I think it is more of a priority. I have no say, just opinions.

Can't pass on smith. We will look back and ask why we past on him when he starts tearing up the league. This is an easy pick. Best player in college with a huge need at wr. This fits with the team philosophy of drafting best player available and a huge need.

Top 132 recievers in the NFL, average separation is 3.2 yards. Parker is 1.7, Gesicki 2.0, Ford 2.8 and Grant 3.1. We don't even have one reciever above average, and the one who is close, is a midget who can't catch. Of the 132, Parker is the worst. Shouldn't be to hard to upgrade from this pathetic group.
I'm curious, Would you happen to have access to the time our QBs had to throw compared to other QBs or teams.I appreciate this in advance.Thank you

Can't pass on smith. We will look back and ask why we past on him when he starts tearing up the league. This is an easy pick. Best player in college with a huge need at wr. This fits with the team philosophy of drafting best player available and a huge need.
And I agree. That's why I said nah on the OL that guy thinks is more important than playmakers

Drew Lock has always been bad. It hurt to lose Sutton for 2020, but when he's healthy, that's a really dynamic group of receivers, and even without him, it's a good - if young - group.

Providing your QB with quality receivers both increases his chances of hitting and gives you a quicker, better evaluation of your QB.

Most people would agree that Reid and Shanahan are two of the very best offensive minds in football - like super elite. Reid has invested heavily in WR - paying both Hill and Watkins, in addition to drafting Hardman in the 2nd. Shanahan spent Top 40 picks in consecutive years (Samuel, Aiyuk). That should tell you something.
I agree with what you're saying. Drafting talent at WR does help a great OC and hear QB. Talent didn't help Drew Lock and I doubt getting Chase or Smith will increase Tua's size, arm strength, accuracy, or pocket presence. He might have a few more WRs with some separation but won't make a difference in W-Ls.

I feel like the Sewell hype is a game of telephone where we're at the point now where everybody has just parroted the word "generational" so much that we're talking about Sewell as the best OT in the history of mankind.

He gave up 1 sack in 2 years playing in a conference that doesn't play defense. Jake Long gave up 1 sack in 4 years in a conference that did, so I don't even believe that Sewell is the better than Long and he didn't move the needle for us on offense much where we're sitting here 12 years later still kicking ourselves for not taking Matt Ryan. And to add on to that we're going to move him to RIGHT TACKLE which is literally adding a projection into the equation? No thanks.

I just feel like we need to get a guy that is actually responsible for scoring touchdowns.
Like a new, NFL elite QB

While an amazing O line does not necessarily mean success. Of the final 8 teams, none have a O line ranked in the bottom 15. Of the 8 teams left, half of them have WR stats ranked in the bottom 15.

Having a quality OL and QB will get you in the dance, but you won't get over the top without those weapons - WR's and the rare, elite TE.

Back
Top Bottom