Wide Receivers | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wide Receivers

People can come up with a list or stats to fit any agenda. The fact is you need top WR's to have a chance these days.
The Browns do not have the best receivers in the league and they made it to the second round. Landry’s stats are no better than Parker’s and I think Gesicki is better than Hooper. Granted the Browns are without Beckham but they made the playoffs, and have won a playoff game so far. In my opinion, the reason they are still successful despite loosing Beckham is because they have one of the best offensive lines in the league. That’s what drives their team not the star receivers because they only have one star, Beckham, and he‘s been our since week 7. This is suppose to be another rebuilding year for the Dolphins. I’d like to see them get that line shored up before improving the receiver position. I do think Gaskin is a complete back who would have much better success if he was running behind a better line. Like I said we should still be in rebuild mode in year 3. I’d like to see them take Sewell and either Slater, Davis or Tucker and sure up the line before they start adding skill pieces at Wr.

Broncos thought Drw Lock was their future and all he needed was offensive pieces. They traded Jeudy, KJ Hamler, and signed Melvin Gordon (hmmm 🤔)

Broncos thought Drw Lock was their future and all he needed was offensive pieces. They traded Jeudy, KJ Hamler, and signed Melvin Gordon (hmmm 🤔)

Drew Lock has always been bad. It hurt to lose Sutton for 2020, but when he's healthy, that's a really dynamic group of receivers, and even without him, it's a good - if young - group.

Providing your QB with quality receivers both increases his chances of hitting and gives you a quicker, better evaluation of your QB.

Most people would agree that Reid and Shanahan are two of the very best offensive minds in football - like super elite. Reid has invested heavily in WR - paying both Hill and Watkins, in addition to drafting Hardman in the 2nd. Shanahan spent Top 40 picks in consecutive years (Samuel, Aiyuk). That should tell you something.

I don't have any agenda. I didn't post this to fit my narrative. I want to trade down I've made that very clear. If we can't I want to take Sewell but would understand if they took a WR. I prefer Chase but would understand if it was Smith and be more than OK. My point in this was just to put it out there and see what people thought. Im not pushing amy agenda and even if I was does it really matter what I or anyone on this board thinks? Were not going to make the selections so its a moot point. It was just for discussion nothing more nothing less.
Alright, the post wasn't direct it at you. Just in general that many people try to make their case look better that way. I pretty much agree with most of what you said on this post.

The Browns do not have the best receivers in the league and they made it to the second round. Landry’s stats are no better than Parker’s and I think Gesicki is better than Hooper. Granted the Browns are without Beckham but they made the playoffs, and have won a playoff game so far. In my opinion, the reason they are still successful despite loosing Beckham is because they have one of the best offensive lines in the league. That’s what drives their team not the star receivers because they only have one star, Beckham, and he‘s been our since week 7. This is suppose to be another rebuilding year for the Dolphins. I’d like to see them get that line shored up before improving the receiver position. I do think Gaskin is a complete back who would have much better success if he was running behind a better line. Like I said we should still be in rebuild mode in year 3. I’d like to see them take Sewell and either Slater, Davis or Tucker and sure up the line before they start adding skill pieces at Wr.
There's nothing wrong with trying to make the O-line better. They should add maybe one guy in free agency and one in the draft. I don't think drafting O-line with the 3rd pick of the draft is the way to go tho but that's just my opinion.

I mean, we could either try to emulate the Browns... Or the Chiefs.

You decide which team is better.

The top 25 WRs (Yards) in 2020
1. Stefon Diggs 1535 5th(146)
2. DeAndre Hopkins 1407 1st(27)
3. Justin Jefferson 1400 1st(22)
4. Calvin Ridley 1374 1st(26)
5. DeVante Adams 1374 2nd(53)
6. DK Metcalf 1303 2nd(64)
7. Tyreek Hill 1276 5th(165)
8. Allen Robinson 1250 2nd(61)
9. DJ Moore 1193 1st(24)
10. Brandin Cooks 1150 1st(20)
11. Terry McLaurin 1118 3rd(76)
12. Amari Cooper 1114 1st(4)
13. Robby Anderson 1096 UDFA
14. AJ Brown 1075 2nd(51)
15. Tyler Lockett 1054 3rd(69)
16. Mike Evans 1006 1st(7)
17. Keenan Allen 992 3rd(76)
18. Corey Davis 984 1st(5)
19. Marvin Jones 978 5th(166)
20. Cooper Kupp 974 3rd(69)
21. Cole Beasley 967 UDFA
22. Robert Woods 936 2nd(41)
23. CeeDee Lamb 935 1st(17)
24. Adam Thielen 925 UDFA
25. Diontae Johnson 923 3rd(66)

So of the top 25 WRs in the league for this season 9 are 1st round picks. 5 are 2nd round picks. 5 are 3rd round picks. 3 are 5th round picks. 3 are undrafted free agents.

3 of these WRs were selected in the top 7 of their respective draft...
Amari Cooper 4 OVR Ranked 12th YDs
Corey Davis 5 OVR Ranked 18th YDs
Mike Evans 7 OVR Ranked 17th YDs

Only 1 of these 25 WRs have won a Super Bowl and that was Tyreek Hill just last season.

I charted these results bc obviously we are looking at the potential of drafting a WR at #3. Some have already decided to turn the card in for DeVonta Smith but after seeing these results are we sure we want to draft a WR at #3 if our goal is to win a Super Bowl? Granted its just this years worth of data but I find it quite surprising that only 1 of the top 25 WRs in football by yards have won a Super Bowl.

Will this data steer anyone away from wanting a WR at #3 so badly? What say you?
Thanks for this...its something I've been saying forever.

There's nothing wrong with trying to make the O-line better. They should add maybe one guy in free agency and one in the draft. I don't think drafting O-line with the 3rd pick of the draft is the way to go tho but that's just my opinion.
Normally I'd agree with you. But Penei Sewell isn't a normal OT.

Top 132 recievers in the NFL, average separation is 3.2 yards. Parker is 1.7, Gesicki 2.0, Ford 2.8 and Grant 3.1. We don't even have one reciever above average, and the one who is close, is a midget who can't catch. Of the 132, Parker is the worst. Shouldn't be to hard to upgrade from this pathetic group.

I get your point and it's valid however using that as a measurable for this team might be a tough sell. Every team knew we couldn't run the ball, and had lack of threats so they played close and sat on us.
Parker still catches everything thrown at him so I'm not really concerned about his separation.

We absolutely need wr help. At least 2 top end guys need to join Parker and gesecki. If we can trade down and still get chase.... sign me up!

Back
Top Bottom