Will Changing Dynamics Of Miami Dolphins Receivers Be A Jolt For Devante Parker’s Career? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Changing Dynamics Of Miami Dolphins Receivers Be A Jolt For Devante Parker’s Career?

Parker and Harris are the kinds of first round draft picks that you are ten times better off trading out of that slot rather than drafting them. There were second round and later round players with much more upside than either of them -- that IF you are going to take three years developing, you could have signed to a four year contract, developed them for two years, and had two plus years return at a ceiling way higher than your first round quasi-deadweights.

Anytime you draft first round and take three years to develop talent on a three year contract, getting minimal return during those three years, and then once they slightly play decent, it's time for them (3 years later) to sign a contract that's above what they ever earned as a Dolphin. You continually overpay for underplay: either you break the bank for marginal playmakers or you become a farm team for the rest of the league, continually wasting roster spots on players that are built in to give lesser returns than value given -- both in draft picks and money.

This happens to lesser degree to overdrafted players down the board... such as spending three draft picks for a marginal WR like Carroo that no one was high on, other than Tannenbaum. Now, to justify that pick, you have to keep him on the roster for three years -- with zero contributions and a Cro-Magnon grasp of the playbook, and a talent, skill ceiling that could cramp a midget.

Good teams figure this out.

But those who are hoping (again) for a breakout season from Parker will probably be disappointed twice: once, when his breakout is less than a legit 1 WR, and twice, when the team has to overpay to keep him, or watch him go to another team and play slightly higher than he did as a Phin, simply because Miami took three long years to develop him without ever having a 1 WR return on a 1st round draft pick. Wash, rinse, and repeat for Harris -- a first round draft pick that is easily outplayed by a lower-level FA signing, and who is low-ceiling physical upside, with real limitations, etc.

LD
p.s. Just to be clear, I think that Parker is GOOD ENOUGH for a decent year, given the upgrades across the board in Miami's receivers. He's good enough to do enough that Miami needs to win. But will he ever achieve for Miami the promise of a game-breaking first round talent, who forces double teams and raises the play of everyone around him because he can't be shut down and consistently plays high level? Not holding my breath.

Late round players with much more upside than Parker and Harris? There is no way you actually believe that... He may not have panned out the way we wanted, but saying there were later round players with more upside than Parker is just silly....Nobody in the entire world had Parker outside of the first round that draft year, same with Harris

Agholar and Diggs also had 8 TD's last year which is equals to Parkers 3 year total. Parker is the #3 WR because he's not reliable to be anything else I'm sure the Dolphins would love for him to step up and be that #1 WR he was drafted to be.

As far as who played a bigger role in the offense Agholar had 95 targets, Diggs had 95 targets, Crowder had 103 targets, and Parker had 96 Targets so outside of Crowder who had 7 more targets than Parker I don't see anyone who was targeted more than Parker

And lets not pretend like Parker has the market cornered on playing with bad a bad QB he had 1 year of Cutler and 2 years of Tannehill. Diggs has played with 3 different QB's in his 3 seasons.

I went to check and DVOA supports this:

Diggs, 24.7%, 5th in the league out of 86
Agholor, 6.7%, 33rd
Stills, 0.4%, 44th
Crowder, -4.5%, 57th
Parker, -11%, 70th

However, both did better the previous year with Tannehill:
Parker 7.8%, 31st
Stills 6.8%, 34th

So there are reasons for hope, after all, if he can stay healthy

Last edited:
Im going to sound like a broken record but there's no way you can evaluate Parker's production in 2017, he was set up to fail based on how they used him and who was throwing the ball... Cutler wasnt even CFL worthy throwing beyond 10 yards and thats where Parker operated on the vast majority of his routes... On top of that, he lined up exclusively on the outside.

Keep in mind who the QB is, and tell me which WR is going to have more success, nevermind specific players...

Landry's routes.png parkerroutetree.png

Im not saying Parker will break out, but I am saying Im not holding 2017 against him...

Last edited:
IDK, he looked pretty good w/ RT to me when healthy.. he looked good opening last season and thought he was going to dominate. Then insert how bad Jay was throwing him bad balls and not in rhythm, that with the ankle resulted in another disappointing season.

I want to see him with RT again, I really think they had something and Jay totally threw off his game/development when he suddenly had to take over.

Needs to stay on the field though. talent isnt in question. He'll never have that outspoken "killer instinct" everyone assumes they need to see, he can still be a top 10 receiver in the league.

All we can do is sit back and see what develops. Im optimistic, more so bc I know we will probably be spreading the ball around regardless.

Hopefully Gesicki develops quickly.

I don' know about other receivers affecting his ability to give a ****, maybe...lol

How the hell do you guys know he doesn't want to be great? I've seen this guy torch New England after trailing the whole game. Quitters quit. Parker almost tied the game after that slaying by Garropolo. How quickly they forget. Yeah he's been hurt. This guy is 6'4 and skinny as **** and he'll burn your ass and most corners in the league. Last season was a lost year as soon as Ryan went down. Patience is a virtue. Parker is a beast.

How the hell do you guys know he doesn't want to be great? I've seen this guy torch New England after trailing the whole game. Quitters quit. Parker almost tied the game after that slaying by Garropolo. How quickly they forget. Yeah he's been hurt. This guy is 6'4 and skinny as **** and he'll burn your *** and most corners in the league. Last season was a lost year as soon as Ryan went down. Patience is a virtue. Parker is a beast.

I've seen him have 2 catches for 8 yards vs the Jets, 2 catches for 14 yards vs AZ, 3 catches for 20 yards vs Buffallo and those are his 2016 games. Even mediocre players can have outstanding games and good highlight reels. It's not about forgetting the good its remembering that the bad or decent games far outweigh the few good games he's had. How exactly is he skinny as poop? The guy is listed between 208-212, that's not skinny at all for a WR . Baby bears are beast too that doesn't mean anyone is scared of them.

How the hell do you guys know he doesn't want to be great? I've seen this guy torch New England after trailing the whole game. Quitters quit. Parker almost tied the game after that slaying by Garropolo. How quickly they forget. Yeah he's been hurt. This guy is 6'4 and skinny as **** and he'll burn your *** and most corners in the league. Last season was a lost year as soon as Ryan went down. Patience is a virtue. Parker is a beast.

Parker also sealed the loss by badly misplaying a non-rhythm jump in the endzone, mistiming a ball that he should have caught, causing an INT. Watching his footwork on that pass, seeing how badly he mistimed a perfectly thrown jump ball... painful. So yes, a great game. But also shows needed work. Or perhaps his ceiling coming into play?

LD

Im going to sound like a broken record but there's no way you can evaluate Parker's production in 2017, he was set up to fail based on how they used him and who was throwig the ball... Cutler wasnt even CFL worthy throwing beyond 10 yards and thats where Parker operated on the vast majority of his routes... On top of that, he lined up exclusively on the outside.

Keep in mind who the QB is, and tell me which WR is going to have more success, nevermind specific players...

View attachment 12962 View attachment 12963

Im not saying Parker will break out, but I am saying Im not holding 2017 against him...

Fair take. Point well taken -- and I should have taken that into consideration earlier.

LD

I've seen him have 2 catches for 8 yards vs the Jets, 2 catches for 14 yards vs AZ, 3 catches for 20 yards vs Buffallo and those are his 2016 games. Even mediocre players can have outstanding games and good highlight reels. It's not about forgetting the good its remembering that the bad or decent games far outweigh the few good games he's had. How exactly is he skinny as poop? The guy is listed between 208-212, that's not skinny at all for a WR . Baby bears are beast too that doesn't mean anyone is scared of them.

He's just more lanky than your typical NFL WR. He's definitely filled out a bit over the years

He's just more lanky than your typical NFL WR. He's definitely filled out a bit over the years

I'm not sure what you mean he was listed at 209 at the combine and he's typically listed between 208-212 depending where you go. Definitely never looked lanky.

7116577.jpg

devante-parker-and-jay-cutler-of-the-miami-dolphins-huddle-against-picture-id839879958

Hes been called out by the coaches for lack of effort/conditioning, had articles written about him regarding the same thing and even articles saying his diet was terrible for an NFL athlete... I personally haven't given up on him quite yet but he has given some reasons to question his motivation, hence the posters saying he doesn't want to be great.

The fact that there has to be a change to "jolt" Parker is troubling.

Back
Top Bottom