Worst Wanny Move | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worst Wanny Move

I blame four wasted years on him. We had a lot of guys in their prime, and were poised to make a push. If we would have had the right coach I dont think they would be calling the Pats a "dynasty" right now.

I'll name some.

1. Signing Jay Fiedler instead of Jim Miller (not a great QB, but was atleast solid)

2. Trading away all those picks over the years (I didn't like giving all the picks away when we got Ricky, and now we don't have him or any potential 1st rounders).

3. Never attempting to get a QB when Jay proved he couldn't win games with his arm.

4. Only drafting Chris Chambers to upgrade our WR corp when OJ retired, and never trying to surround CC with a true number 2 WR. (Gads got hurt, McKnight couldn't even make the Giants roster, DT is a 3rd WR at best)

5. Drafting a nickleback in the first round

6. Giving big contracts to Ruddy and Perry.

7. Not having a backup plan for LT when Dixon went down, and our only other LT was a converted TE named Wade Smith.

8. Refusing to make adjustments to fit the personel.

9. How he handled the offensive staff last year when they couldn't get along.

10. Saying standpoint every other word.

i think his worst mistake was his in ability to replenish the defensive side of the ball. he's a freaking defense minded coach, and honestly he added better players in to the offense (except qb) than our "vaunted defense" theres a reason we always folded late in the season. cause the heart of the team was the defense and they spent the entire year carrying the team on its back. then when its crunch time ie:4th qtr in december these old vetrans are TIRED!!!!!i nominate wanny for one of the worst coaches ever!

hdjetta6316 said:
i think his worst mistake was his in ability to replenish the defensive side of the ball. he's a freaking defense minded coach, and honestly he added better players in to the offense (except qb) than our "vaunted defense" theres a reason we always folded late in the season. cause the heart of the team was the defense and they spent the entire year carrying the team on its back. then when its crunch time ie:4th qtr in december these old vetrans are TIRED!!!!!i nominate wanny for one of the worst coaches ever!

that's a good point. Wanny thought he could build this team around the defense like the Bears of the 80's or the 2000 Ravens, build around the D and then your offense only has to get you 10 points.

Only difference is the Bears had a good offense, and the Ravens made plays on ST and had a good young RB (we got Ricky when our D started to get older, and Wanny never tried the upgrade our ST).

I believe Wanny's worst move(s) involve surrounding himself with "yes sir" coordinators. He got rid of Westfal which I thought was a horrible move. He replaced people who simply gave Wanny the answers he wanted to hear rather than honest assssments. I think Wanny was a good people person. A below average game-time coach. He could have hired someone to draft players as he was a poor drafter. Bottom line he could have succeeded if he had strong personal around him.

As much as I hated Wanny in Miami, He did hook us up with some very intense players late in the draft. Examples; Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Randy McMichael, Chris Chambers.........

b_hjelmeland123 said:
As much as I hated Wanny in Miami, He did hook us up with some very intense players late in the draft. Examples; Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Randy McMichael, Chris Chambers.........

Zach and JT were JJ picks. Chambers was a 2nd rounder. So the only late rounder he got was McMichael in the 4th.

BLUEPHIN said:
Wanny's biggest mistake was his belief that his philosophy (offensive or defensive) would be succesful no matter what type of team he is playing - he never made in-game adjustments and never designed a game-plan to suit his players or who he was playing against. Look at the plays designed for feeley...the running plays for minor...the defensive schemes when the interior of our line blew up - he never changed his approach to suit the team - he expected the team to be able to change their abilities based on his narrow definition of what wins football games

Blue..this was my thought exactly...he always tinkered, but never really wanted to change anything...in the offseason, in TC, or in games...He was a "my system will work, and no one can tell me differently"....

rafael said:
I see those as related. Brees was available in that draft, but Wanny was worried about the salary cap impact of having a 1st rd QB on the bench. He thought JF would be good enough and we had been burned by poor play in the nickle D the year before. He also said that Brees wasn't that much better than JF.

It's pretty much the exact same arguments people are using to not draft a QB this year. The salary cap...AJ will be good enough...our running game sucked last year...These QBs don't have anymore potential than AJ...LOL

Hopefully Saban avoids making the same mistake.

This post should be immortalized in bronze and hung proudly on the wall.

Where all the "Trade Down" guys can have it burned into their vision.

Not making a Weekend at Bernies 3. He was really funny as Bernie Lomax!:roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom