Worst Wanny Move | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worst Wanny Move

67Stang said:
Not making a Weekend at Bernies 3. He was really funny as Bernie Lomax!:roflmao:

:spit: I love the 'stache jokes.

finfansince72 said:
I agree completely. He was completely lost when it came to making adjustments. How many times did we lose games by small margins simply because Wannestadt refused to open the offense up? He also thought a 7pt lead was enough and shut down the offense to try and run the clock out in like the 1st quarter. He coached scared and not to lose. He just doesnt have the mentality to be a good headcoach.
Really, Wannestadt has always been the same guy, it was Wayne H.'s fault 110% for allowing JJ to "assign" his replacement. We should have been looking in a new direction to a guy like Saban 4 or 5 years ago, not taking JJ's handpicked buddy for a replacement. We knew what Dave Wannestadt was in Chicago and that was a poor headcoach. We wasted all the defensive talent's prime years (well most of them) by allowing the Wanny/Jay Fiedler era to hold us down.

I couldn't agree more. What a waste of Defensive talent. I wish all those years could be removed, but they can't.

Sticking with Fiedler for too many years was huge and when he drafted Moore, I thought he was done then.

its a shame that Saban has to come into such a hole of a situation. We have no Franchise caliber Q, we need some serious O-Line help, our defense will need to be revamped sooner rather than later, our salary cap was a nightmare, etc, etc, etc, and we have next to no draft picks.

All I can say is thank god Wanny didnt trade away our first-rounder this year or I'm pretty sure I would have slashed my wrists by now

rafael said:
I see those as related. Brees was available in that draft, but Wanny was worried about the salary cap impact of having a 1st rd QB on the bench. He thought JF would be good enough and we had been burned by poor play in the nickle D the year before. He also said that Brees wasn't that much better than JF.

It's pretty much the exact same arguments people are using to not draft a QB this year. The salary cap...AJ will be good enough...our running game sucked last year...These QBs don't have anymore potential than AJ...LOL

Hopefully Saban avoids making the same mistake.

the onlt roblem was we didn't need a CB we needed offense like QB

ih8brady said:
That was incredibly stupid! I mean, their our freaking rival! :mad:

Feeley for an extremely high second was stupid too. An unproven player like that is worth a 5th, maybe 4th round pick.

No, you were right the first time, a 5th at best, more like a 6th. That was the major mistake to me. The second worst, selecting Eddie Moore in the 2nd, when we could of had kelly washington. Letting Todd Wade leave. Giving up 2 1st round picks for Ricky, when N.O. couldnt even get a 2nd rounder for him to begin with. Sending a third rounder to St.L for Lamar gordon, when he is only a third down back, and should of been had for a 5th rounder.

is that enough examples, I can continue?

I got in late on this thread and most of the ones I can think off have already been mentioned so I will fill.One of my pet peeves was the utter disregard the dynamic duo had in examining past medical history of players they were signing or drafting.

Boston,Gordon, Leonard Henry are examples .The Mc Intosh signing was disgracefully handled.I think Moore will be another one who will spend a lot of time on IR.

Another pet peeve was the way way they threw picks away as if there was no tommorow.(There wasnt).An example was the 6th round pick we gave away for Cade McNown when everyone knew he was going to be cut by the Bears.It turned out he was damaged goods too.

If you have noticed we have had some very sparse draft picks in recent years.We must turn that around and start to accumulate picks.Thats how winners are built.

LithoMan said:
No, you were right the first time, a 5th at best, more like a 6th. That was the major mistake to me. The second worst, selecting Eddie Moore in the 2nd, when we could of had kelly washington. Letting Todd Wade leave. Giving up 2 1st round picks for Ricky, when N.O. couldnt even get a 2nd rounder for him to begin with. Sending a third rounder to St.L for Lamar gordon, when he is only a third down back, and should of been had for a 5th rounder.

is that enough examples, I can continue?

that was not a mistake. Wade was a good run blocker, but only average in pass protection. Plus he wanted WAY to much money, and now the Texans have him and might have to cut him in the future because of his contract.

You guys have it wrong. Most of what you complain about is Speilman's stupidity.

Wanny can and should be blamed for:
1. Running up the middle on nearly every offensive play
2. Not communicating with Ricky so he could see the end coming.
3. No handling his dealings with Ricky well. There may have been a chance to prevent the whole Williams mess if Wanny had some clue as to what demons were going on in Ricky's head.
4. Not grooming young DL players. We have witnessed last year how this can and will hurt us for a few more years.
5. Having an undiscliplined team that makes too many penalties.
6. Being so conservative in his philosophies that he plays not to lose instead of to win the damn game.
7. Never developing Rob Konrad into the player we all thought he could be.
8. Never developing a cohesive OL
9. There are many more but I must go....

His biggest failure was the second half of The 2002 season: The Phins most complete team since the the Marino led team of the early 90's failed to even make the playoffs. Here are his three biggest mistakes, IMO:

3) THIRD BIGGEST MISTAKE: His third biggest mistake was allowing Ray Lucas to throw the ball on fourth down in Buffalo instead of kicking deep into Bill territory right before the half. If he kicks the ball, Lucas doesnt turn the ball over which ensues in a defensive Bill touchdown. Lucas in turn doesnt comletely lose his confidence, turn the ball over six times and lose a game and that puts the Dolphins season on the brink.

2) SECOND BIGGEST MISTAKE: His second biggest mistake was in week 16 vs a weak Minnesota team. The Phins were a much better team and dominated the game. Fiedler - who was playing inspiring ball :eek: - led the team on long scoring drives every time he touched the ball. Problem was, the Phins couldnt gain possession in the second half. Instead, Wanny watched helplessly as the 5-10 Vikings meticulously held onto the ball and kept - gasp - the dolphins offense off the field. Eventually, a late 49 yard field goal resulted in an upset win. Absolutely gutless, uninispired defensive playcalling against a bad team. A complete sham.

3) BIGGEST MISTAKE: Despite all the massive disappoitnments until that point, Wanny's biggest mistake was yet to come. With the division on the line, he failed to close out the game vs the Pats in week 17. Despite dominating the LOS, and coasting to a 10 point lead with 5 minutes to play, the Dolphins - starting with the coach - looked petrified. The DEF suddenly went soft. Special teams was a disaster. Wanny once again looked like a broken man, whincing on the sideline as penalites, poor kicks and more unisnpired defensive schemes cost the Dolphins the game, the division and a chance to make some real noise in the playoffs. Sure their were some bad calls and dumb mistakes that were out of Wanny's control, but it was clear as day that we lost the game because Bill Bellicheck was inifinitely smarter and more prepared than Wanny that day.

In short, Wanny had a truly great team in 2002. Wonderful running game, sound passing game excellent offensive playcalling by Norv Turner and tremendous defensive talent. The team was on the brink of the playoffs and possibly even home field advantage. However, it was all for naught, as his coaching in the second half of the year was the reason that we couldnt make it over the hump. That was his biggest failure imo.

I knew someone would bring up the blame is due to Spielman. Thats what a figurehead is for right? To blmae it on..

1) Wanny was the "GM" until 05. But, even then, we all know the true story, Wanny was pulling the trigger on the guys he wanted.

2) Demons in Ricky's head? Randy Moss smokes ganga all day long, but I see him playing his a** off week after week. That dont mean jack, all it means, they got cash and think they are invincible. Its not their off field antics that matter so much to me, but what they do on the field. Ricky gave his body up and played his a** of for us in two seasons. I was commenting on the fact, just because you believe in a guy, and pay way more then market value, and he turns out good, dont make it a "value". I have stated many times who was taken with those two first rounders. I know one for sure everyone would take, the other is debateable. i would take him, but not everyone would.

3)As for grooming players, I agree. Our previous coaching staff had no clue. Thats why the would trade for players. Let other teams groom them, and then pay to get the groomed. That was obvious. Only thing, the dynamic bluner duo way overpaid. Once again, back to the value. Thats how teams such as Denver and Baltimore grabs guys in the 4th 5th and 6th rounds, that end up being future stars. Such as Priest Holmes. They know how to bring the talent out of them, and make them what they can be.

yeah I thought 2002 was our year. Everything was going right for us, and for awhile we were the best team in the league. Then Jay went down, and so did the season (can't believe I said that). The team never recovered from that late season breakdown, and it got worse as Wanny had one of the worst drafts ever.

Growing that 'stache was is worst in many bad moves.

Back
Top Bottom