Would The Dolphins Move Up To #2 For Baker Mayfield? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would The Dolphins Move Up To #2 For Baker Mayfield?

After seeing this former NFL scout's short take on Darnold as a "cow on ice" on a local website, I researched him further and here is the full article with his take on all the QBs:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/one-draft-qb-spared-in-scouts-scathing-draft-take-cow-on-ice/

Brief bio of this Shonka guy:

Dan Shonka, has been involved in player personnel work for over 4 decades. He is one of, if not the only, NFL Draft Analyst to have played the game, coached the game, recruited high school players on the major college level, and scouted professionally. Shonka scouted for National Football Scouting, the Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL for a combined 16 years. Scouting is not a hobby. He has built his home and raised his family on his experience as a player personnel evaluator and he remains a team consultant.
Darnold, to me, is a bust waiting to happen.

Tannehill has the potential to win playoffs games, yes. But a true franchise QB is better than that and can change the fortunes of this franchise for the next 2 decades.

problem is, none of these appear to be
franchise qbs, and even if they DID appear to be, its a crapshoot if they would. Fins might have just as goid a chance striking gold in 3rd or 4th rnd.

keep draftimg qbs in 3/4 rnds for next 3 years with a quite capable RT and you actually BUILD a better team instead of mortgaging your future on a crapshoot.

trading up for this years crop if qbs is SUICIDE unless you're in desp need of a qb.

fins arent.

God, I hope not.

gettyimages-9003608241-e1524429271912.jpg

Getty Images

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/22/will-bills-or-dolphins-jump-jets-for-mayfield/

I'm always confused by the idea of a team without the rest of the pieces more or less in place, mortgaging years of impact player draft picks to get a 'Slam dunk' QB only to have that obvious HoF QB try to make of for the lack of the rest of the team.

First, slam dump HoF draft picks are more rare than every year, despite what a handful of people here and all of the talking heads would have you believe. While some can argue that the greats always have you in the running (true), they don't seem to have much hardware unless they have a team behind them. I'm going to remind everyone (I know, again) that even with the BEST QB of his day coached by the BEST COACH of his day, we don't have a lot of hardware to show for it.

Second, very few people believe that ANY of this years crop are slam dunks. So, not only do you have the risk that comes from trading away so many important and impactful pieces, but you might not even get anything for that risk.

Moving up a pick or two to get our guy is a strategy. Moving up 10 picks is desperation and has long, long, odds of actually working.

you and i are on exact same page, 415.

moving up with THIS team and qb would be nuts. and fins arent nuts.

I don't think they do it. Tannehill will be entering his 7th year, 7th freaking year. And scroll up and look at the "break out year" talk or the other nonsense. Hoping A 7th year veteran QB has a HOF type break year to remain a viable starter, is head in the clouds...loco.

We know what Tannehill is and what he isnt. We all have seen it for years. Maybe some need a decade like Davie.

If they moved to 2, then how tempting would it be to take Barkley?
If we take a QB in the first, I'm more happy about the future, if we take a def. Player I'm more happy about this year.

The difference between top 2 money and 11th pick money is huge. The 11th pick will get about 16.6M total over 4 years. The #2 pick will get 31.5 over the same span.

Not to mention the 5th year option....

A player selected in the top 10 gets a salary that is the average of the salaries of the top 10 players in the league at his position.

Players selected between picks 11 and 32 get a salary that is the average of the third to 25th highest-paid players in the NFL at their positions.

Now figure if you draft Barkely at 2. His 5th year option contract could be close to $20M. (That's what I read today anyway.) Anyone want to pay a RB 10.3M average over 5 years?

11 is a prime spot.

That would be stupid at an epic level. Our D was run on like school girls...we need LB more than anything on this team. We HAVE to get this D formidable and beyond the line the LB's are the biggest piece of that puzzle. Please get Edmunds.....PLEASE

Sorry but at this point we punt on the 1st round qb. Draft D. If tannehill doesn’t return to late 2016 form then we likely have a top 10 pick and can discuss drafting a qb 1st round 2019. Too much risk of failure in this qb class

Saw this stat today on Twitter. Doesn’t bode well for Allen at all. I’m not touching him first round if Cle takes him #1 overall you can silence all that positive Browns talk imo

Attachments

• 14553D05-1905-40F4-8508-8BAD482D57C0.png
    14553D05-1905-40F4-8508-8BAD482D57C0.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 27
Sorry but at this point we punt on the 1st round qb. Draft D. If tannehill doesn’t return to late 2016 form then we likely have a top 10 pick and can discuss drafting a qb 1st round 2019. Too much risk of failure in this qb class

Problem is...this team isnt bad enough to get a Top3 pick, nor good enough to legitimately compete in January. Webster prolly has a picture of Sparano, Philbin and Gase under MEDIOCRITY.

Saw this stat today on Twitter. Doesn’t bode well for Allen at all. I’m not touching him first round if Cle takes him #1 overall you can silence all that positive Browns talk imo

Dorsey isnt some failed pos gm.

Problem is...this team isnt bad enough to get a Top3 pick, nor good enough to legitimately compete in January. Webster prolly has a picture of Sparano, Philbin and Gase under MEDIOCRITY.
if we have a top 10 pick season then we will be In full rebuild mode and will do what we need to in order to get a top qb in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom